The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Hi all,

I'm coming to UEA as a second year history student (transfer) and am 23. Does anyone have any accommodation recommendations - I would prefer to live on campus to meet new people but at the same time I like my sleep!
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by foursimplewords
Hi all,

I'm coming to UEA as a second year history student (transfer) and am 23. Does anyone have any accommodation recommendations - I would prefer to live on campus to meet new people but at the same time I like my sleep!

Firstly have you checked to see if you're guaranteed accommodation in halls? If you haven't its worth checking that out. All the flats could potentially be noisy at night when people are pre drinking and when they come back, its pot luck really, the Ziggurats perhaps more so due to the size of the flats, ensuite seems to vary between quiet and party going flats.
yes I believe I am guaranteed accommoadtion, part of me wants to live off campus but I feel it would be easier to meet new people (as I'm technically a UEA fresher), but at the same time second year I really need to knuckle down and get my work done.
Original post by foursimplewords
yes I believe I am guaranteed accommoadtion, part of me wants to live off campus but I feel it would be easier to meet new people (as I'm technically a UEA fresher), but at the same time second year I really need to knuckle down and get my work done.

well 99% of the uk/eu students in halls will be freshers, so depends who you want to meet. and if you want the 'uni' lifestyle of clubbing and drinking
Reply 4104
I'm thinking of firming UEA soon. I've got an unconditional offer for English Lit, so once I firm I will definitely be going there. I've been reading about the accommodation and the website specified that they will allocate rooms once they've received two things: first your application for accommodation and secondly when you have met the entry requirements.

My questions is what would that mean for a student like me? I've got my results (as I've taken a gap year) so does that mean they will allocate me a room sooner?
I firmed (and insurance) UEA, do I need to contact the uni to arrange accommodation or is it automatic? Cheers.
Original post by Sixdegreesofsoph
Has anyone who has firmed got the email about applying for accommodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, how long after firming did you get it?
Original post by Tom_green_day
Nope, how long after firming did you get it?

I haven't had one, I was just wondering if we got one or had to do something else to apply :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sampayn3
I'm thinking of firming UEA soon. I've got an unconditional offer for English Lit, so once I firm I will definitely be going there. I've been reading about the accommodation and the website specified that they will allocate rooms once they've received two things: first your application for accommodation and secondly when you have met the entry requirements.

My questions is what would that mean for a student like me? I've got my results (as I've taken a gap year) so does that mean they will allocate me a room sooner?

you might hear back a bit sooner- maybe July or August
Reply 4109
I firmed UEA a few weeks ago, and already went through the accommodation application process :/ is this normal?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are accomadation applications open?? I haven't received an email!
Original post by dbeanz93
I firmed UEA a few weeks ago, and already went through the accommodation application process :/ is this normal?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you get an email or just go on the website? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4112
Original post by Sixdegreesofsoph
Did you get an email or just go on the website? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't remember now, I think I got an email after receiving my offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are the accomodations only (mainly) for the first years or are they used by other years too?
Original post by Chrisd00100
Are the accomodations only (mainly) for the first years or are they used by other years too?

Only for first years unless you have a disability
Original post by jelly1000

When are accommodation applications open?
Original post by yodawg321
When are accommodation applications open?

No idea sorry
Original post by jelly1000

So where do second and third years go? Do you have to find a room to share in a flat/house?
Reply 4118
Original post by Chrisd00100
So where do second and third years go? Do you have to find a room to share in a flat/house?

Yes. The majority of people share with friends they've made in halls, though some share with coursemates or other friends and occasionally people share with strangers (there are socials put on to find potential housemates if you are in this position).

This is standard practice, its a rare uni which had halls for non freshers (in fact many don't have enough even for all the freshers!).

The uni has a service called home run which helps you find approved accommodation from agents or landlords who don't charge frees to students. There are also several letting agents who charge highly reduced fees to students. There was talk of making home run in to a letting agent but not sure if that's happened yet!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4119
I am a student from the US who is going to be doing an exchange at UEA for the 2014-2015 year. I've got a quick question about my accommodation options... Can international students choose where they live? I've gathered that the ziggurats seem to be the most social, and as I'm going to be 5,000 miles away from anyone I know, I'd hate to get stuck in a place that was really dead. I'm also a pretty outgoing and social person. The reason I'm asking this is because I can't find it on the uea website, and at my university all of the international students get put in the same building. Thanks!

Latest

Trending

Trending