The Student Room Group

Fine Art Applicants and Universities 2014!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by AndyHoccom
Haha yeah I don't mind it really I was pleased though that they got Wimbledon to give me a place even if it is on the sculpture course when my work is fine art :'). Don't worry goldsmiths will get back at some point they must have a lot of people to get through I only heard off them because I changed my joint honours interview day because I plan to be in Poland at that point haha

The courses are really broad! I've been offered a place for drawing at camberwell and my portfolio consisted of print, stills from performance pieces, painting and sculpture! Think I had 2 photographs :tongue: and I plan to continue with sculpture. But when she looked at my portfolio she said she thought I'd be well suited to the course. I've also got friends on painting courses that make sculptures but just talk about them in a painterly way, it that makes sense?
Yeah hopefully, I'm just starting to think no news at this stage is probably bad, but it would just be nice to know!
Haha I found it bizarre personally because at my Westminster interview you just went and had a one to one with a tutor where you shown them your work. But at Chelsea they went through the portfolio as a team without students being in there then you went back in afterwards for a 10minute one to one where they just ask you questions :')
Yeah I'm not disheartened by Chelsea as the course leader from Wimbledon explained that the head of fine art at Chelsea loved my work just that there weren't enough places on the course but I'm okay with that.

Oh god haha that sounds like fun I can't wait to see what its gonna be like at Goldsmiths

Ah ok, I've heard of other interviews being like that. At my Loughborough interview last year they had a look without me, but then when I cam in my portfolio was still there and we talked through the work together. I think that's a pretty good way of doing it.
Did the questions relate to your work or was it just the 'Why here, why this' sort of questions?
I'm starting to wish I'd applied to Wimbledon instead of Chelsea so hopefully that will happen to me. :tongue: Still haven't heard from Chelsea which is strange if the course is already so full. :/
Yeah, don't know whether I'm nervous or excited for Goldsmiths. It sounds like the sort of thing I'd enjoy and I doubt it's as terrifying as people say.

Original post by omifeeney
The courses are really broad! I've been offered a place for drawing at camberwell and my portfolio consisted of print, stills from performance pieces, painting and sculpture! Think I had 2 photographs :tongue: and I plan to continue with sculpture. But when she looked at my portfolio she said she thought I'd be well suited to the course. I've also got friends on painting courses that make sculptures but just talk about them in a painterly way, it that makes sense?
Yeah hopefully, I'm just starting to think no news at this stage is probably bad, but it would just be nice to know!

Yeah, the courses seem really open. I wouldn't worry about not hearing from Goldsmiths yet. I'm the first on my Foundation course to hear back, and at my Kingston interview on Wednesday pretty much everyone had applied and no one had heard anything.
Reply 202
Original post by HelveticaBold
Ah ok, I've heard of other interviews being like that. At my Loughborough interview last year they had a look without me, but then when I cam in my portfolio was still there and we talked through the work together. I think that's a pretty good way of doing it.
Did the questions relate to your work or was it just the 'Why here, why this' sort of questions?
I'm starting to wish I'd applied to Wimbledon instead of Chelsea so hopefully that will happen to me. :tongue: Still haven't heard from Chelsea which is strange if the course is already so full. :/
Yeah, don't know whether I'm nervous or excited for Goldsmiths. It sounds like the sort of thing I'd enjoy and I doubt it's as terrifying as people say.

Yeah, the courses seem really open. I wouldn't worry about not hearing from Goldsmiths yet. I'm the first on my Foundation course to hear back, and at my Kingston interview on Wednesday pretty much everyone had applied and no one had heard anything.

I found it difficult when he looked through my work without me as I couldn't see how he responded, so I still don't know what he thought of it!
It was really rushed but otherwise ok. I got asked
'What themes run through your work?'
'Whats the strongest piece? Explain'
'Weakest piece? Explain'
Then he asked me about a specific photograph that he said he found interesting
'Why Chelsea?'
'What are you going to do next?'
And 'do you have any questions?'

I had my interview this week and they said they were running interviews this week and next so i thought they would have contacted people by now

Ah thanks for the reassurance, congrats on your interview! I just have a bad feeling about it :/
(edited 10 years ago)
I found it difficult when he looked through my work without me as I couldn't see how he responded, so I still don't know what he thought of it!
It was really rushed but otherwise ok. I got asked
'What themes run through your work?'
'Whats the strongest piece? Explain'
'Weakest piece? Explain'
Then he asked me about a specific photograph that he said he found interesting
'Why Chelsea?'
'What are you going to do next?'
And 'do you have any questions?'

I had my interview this week and they said they were running interviews this week and next so i thought they would have contacted people by now

Ah thanks for the reassurance, congrats on your interview! I just have a bad feeling about it :/

Yeah, it is good to see reactions, but I think they try not to give anything away. At least some of the questions were about your work so you have a chance to talk about it. I know a lot of people who still haven't heard back from Chelsea so it's strange if they finish interviews next week. Maybe I haven't got one and they just haven't told me yet. :rolleyes:
Good luck. :smile:
Reply 204
Yeah, it is good to see reactions, but I think they try not to give anything away. At least some of the questions were about your work so you have a chance to talk about it. I know a lot of people who still haven't heard back from Chelsea so it's strange if they finish interviews next week. Maybe I haven't got one and they just haven't told me yet. :rolleyes:
Good luck. :smile:

Yeah that does sound strange . It might be worth ringing them up on Monday just to find out?
Thanks! Same to you :smile:
Reply 205
I also applied to Chelsea but they called me at the beginning of the week and offered me an interview for Wimbledon instead - sculpture I think. I'm not sure whether I'd consider it if I got an offer though :confused:
Reply 206
I hear back yesterday afternoon so I'm guessing they're starting to go through the applications. Haha yeah the Chelsea interview was a slightly bizarre experience I just hope my goldsmiths one is better. You'll have to let us know when you hear from Chelsea :smile:

I didn't think it'd be so soon. Yeah Chelsea was just so rushed and pressured. I feel I may've gone a bit to heavy with the theory in the interview and didn't keep it simple. I swear no one came away from them feeling confident of a place haha. So they gave you a place at Wimbledon? That's awesome.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 207
Original post by kawaiibaebae
I've had interviews @ Wimbledon for sculpture and at Chelsea and I'm slightly worried that Chelsea will think "oh she's already got into Wimbledon so we won't give her a place on our course", even though I don't want to go to Wimbledon and actually want to go to Chelsea... and without asking they said they'd contact me on Monday so I don't know if that's a good or bad thing like they had already made their mind up on the spot

They're different unis with different course codes so they can't reject you on the basis of you applying to another course that's part of UAL. So don't worry about that. And I think they do decide on the spot since there is only one person for each interview so they don't have anyone to confer with
Original post by WesChains
I didn't think it'd be so soon. Yeah Chelsea was just so rushed and pressured. I feel I may've gone a bit to heavy with the theory in the interview and didn't keep it simple. I swear no one came away from them feeling confident of a place haha. So they gave you a place at Wimbledon? That's awesome.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha I was the same. The woman who I spoke to was asking me what my most successful and challenging piece was and I think I might've over explained it slightly but all its really doing is expressing the obvious passion you have towards your work. I felt okay after the interview but I knew that with Chelsea anything could happen.

I'm pleased with the offer but Goldsmiths is still on my radar haha so I think I'll go to Wimbledon on the day of my Goldsmiths interviews to see the place and the course.
Original post by Hayley W
I also applied to Chelsea but they called me at the beginning of the week and offered me an interview for Wimbledon instead - sculpture I think. I'm not sure whether I'd consider it if I got an offer though :confused:

Same here! Have they asked you to go see them to discuss it? I'm going on the 25th after my Goldsmiths interview. I've never actually considered Wimbledon before so like you it came as a surprise haha
Reply 210
Same here! Have they asked you to go see them to discuss it? I'm going on the 25th after my Goldsmiths interview. I've never actually considered Wimbledon before so like you it came as a surprise haha

Glad I'm not the only one! They must have had a shortage of applications or something. Well I haven't actually had an interview at UAL yet so I'll be going for one at Wimbledon on the 21st, and will hopefully get some idea of the pros/cons then.
why is Goldsmiths taking so long :mad:
they shouldn't have put on the website that they'd get back to us by the end of Feb if they were going to leave it this long :'(
Reply 212
Haha I was the same. The woman who I spoke to was asking me what my most successful and challenging piece was and I think I might've over explained it slightly but all its really doing is expressing the obvious passion you have towards your work. I felt okay after the interview but I knew that with Chelsea anything could happen.

I'm pleased with the offer but Goldsmiths is still on my radar haha so I think I'll go to Wimbledon on the day of my Goldsmiths interviews to see the place and the course.

I came away with it feeling horrid, I hope the paragraphs on my mounted sheets would've summed up most of the stuff they would wanna hear because I really wasn't great.

I don't think I've seen your work, Andy. Any chance you can send me a flickr or something?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 213
I came away with it feeling horrid, I hope the paragraphs on my mounted sheets would've summed up most of the stuff they would wanna hear because I really wasn't great.

I don't think I've seen your work, Andy. Any chance you can send me a flickr or something?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you written paragraphs on every page of your portfolio explaining your work? I've left mine completely blank haha
Reply 214
Original post by WhoKnew107
they shouldn't have put on the website that they'd get back to us by the end of Feb if they were going to leave it this long :'(

Yeah it's frustrating but try not to let it bother you as nothing can be done! Seems like a lot of people were contacted last week, so I'm assuming if I don't hear back next week then they're not interested. Hopefully we'll be contacted early next week x
Original post by WhoKnew107

Where did it say that? Hopefully you'll hear next week, surely they can't leave it much longer. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's horrible when you think an interview has gone badly, remembering all the things you should have said on the way home. :sigh: Hopefully you'll hear soon.
Reply 216
Have you written paragraphs on every page of your portfolio explaining your work? I've left mine completely blank haha

Not on all of them, just on ones that I felt needed it. In interviews I just say an abbreviated version of the paragraph if asked to talk about that piece.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

You were bound to feel nervous though so I wouldn't let it get to you to much. The written information and what you said to them are merely prompts anyway so it should give them a good idea of how you work.

I haven't seen yours either haha :smile: I'll put it all on a PowerPoint or something for you as I haven't updated my flickr then send it to you.
You were bound to feel nervous though so I wouldn't let it get to you to much. The written information and what you said to them are merely prompts anyway so it should give them a good idea of how you work.

I haven't seen yours either haha :smile: I'll put it all on a PowerPoint or something for you as I haven't updated my flickr then send it to you.

I'd also love to see your work if you're willing to send it to me. :smile:
I'd also love to see your work if you're willing to send it to me. :smile:

Yeah that's fine haha I'll just trawl through it all and put it together then send it to you. And I just got my conditional offer from Wimbledon, they want me to get a pass :')

Quick Reply

Latest