The Student Room Group

UCL Medicine Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1240
Original post by VigneshSB
Can anyone remember the exact wording of the surgeon bmat essay? I seem to remember most of it, but the precise wording evades me!

Good surgeons should be encouraged to take on tough cases, not just safe, routine
ones. Publishing an individual surgeon’s mortality rates may have the opposite effect.
Explain what this statement means. Argue to the contrary. To what extent do you think league
tables should change a surgeon’s behaviour?
Original post by Razer_M
Good surgeons should be encouraged to take on tough cases, not just safe, routine
ones. Publishing an individual surgeon’s mortality rates may have the opposite effect.
Explain what this statement means. Argue to the contrary. To what extent do you think league
tables should change a surgeon’s behaviour?

Thanks buddy!
Original post by Bockers
That's what I thought but it seems a lot of other people have been rejected today whilst I haven't. Why they'd miss out myself baffles me because what's the point keeping me on a thread? I'm expecting to get rejected, I just don't understand why they've not said it. o.O

Its exactly the same for me! I still haven't received my rejection! just want them to get it over with...
Hi,

I have been given an interview on the 19th March and just emailed through the information they ask for before the interview.
I've just realised i sent the documents using a different email to the email UCL emailed me on and have previously used - does anyone know if this will be an issue?

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1244
In the email they said they want a copy of my statement of results for any AS or A2 exams. I did an Arabic AS and Maths A level in year 11 and the statement of results are all on different papers for different modules and mixed up with my GCSE exams. Does anyone know if certificates are ok or if I have to attach the statement of results?
Reply 1245
Original post by ak395
In the email they said they want a copy of my statement of results for any AS or A2 exams. I did an Arabic AS and Maths A level in year 11 and the statement of results are all on different papers for different modules and mixed up with my GCSE exams. Does anyone know if certificates are ok or if I have to attach the statement of results?

I got asked for certificates as well and i did AS RS in yr 11. I only sent them the statement of results of AS's that I'm continuing on to A2 (ones that i did in yr12).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1246
Original post by jaffacake96
Its exactly the same for me! I still haven't received my rejection! just want them to get it over with...

Yeah, I'm just tired now. :frown: Want to start planning for my gap year but won't do it until I've got this final rejection! Not been a good first time round for me, you got any offers? Going to take your 5th? :smile:
Original post by Bockers
Yeah, I'm just tired now. :frown: Want to start planning for my gap year but won't do it until I've got this final rejection! Not been a good first time round for me, you got any offers? Going to take your 5th? :smile:

im sorry to hear! know how disappointing it is! ucl is my top choice! had one interview and 2 rejections.. still got an interview coming up! havent even heard back from my 5th (biomed of course)... what bout you?
Original post by Dr.Ziggy
Yeah I was the other Londoner and I will definitely want to live out next year and experience what halls are like! :

Cool! Initially I wanted to live out too but it seems that it's more convenient and cheaper to stay at home in my case. Guess I'll have to make that extra effort to socialize but I'll make the most of it. Anyway, best of luck!
Original post by DrTJEckleburg
I was on Wednesday morning, short white girl, brown hair, glasses, red coat and black blazer - the Canadian one :smile:

Sorry, I was on Wednesday afternoon so perhaps we were in different sessions and missed each other. Is UCL your first choice? Hope your interview went well and good luck!
Reply 1250
Original post by jaffacake96
im sorry to hear! know how disappointing it is! ucl is my top choice! had one interview and 2 rejections.. still got an interview coming up! havent even heard back from my 5th (biomed of course)... what bout you?

Applied to Biomed as well for my 5th but I won't be doing it anyway. 3 rejections no interviews so far so UCL is my last chance, will be reapplying hopefully getting a better ukcat score but my score this year wasn't actually bad, 678, if I remember correctly. If I don't get in after reapplying I'll be joining the army medical corps hopefully then I'll reapply again and again until I get in but being in the medical corps would be a satisfactory job for me, plenty of benefits from joining the army! Anyway, hopefully that doesn't happen and I get in after reapplying or UCL invite me to an interview very short notice :smile: I think I'll be able to strengthen my application a lot by october anyway. Good luck to you on your interview! :smile:
Original post by Bockers
Applied to Biomed as well for my 5th but I won't be doing it anyway. 3 rejections no interviews so far so UCL is my last chance, will be reapplying hopefully getting a better ukcat score but my score this year wasn't actually bad, 678, if I remember correctly. If I don't get in after reapplying I'll be joining the army medical corps hopefully then I'll reapply again and again until I get in but being in the medical corps would be a satisfactory job for me, plenty of benefits from joining the army! Anyway, hopefully that doesn't happen and I get in after reapplying or UCL invite me to an interview very short notice :smile: I think I'll be able to strengthen my application a lot by october anyway. Good luck to you on your interview! :smile:

thank you and to you! lets hope its good new for both of us for ucl! i got rejected from kings without an interview cos of my ukcat (700)... i just dont understand cos all my other stats are really good so why are they so dependent on ukcat?! really dont like these entrance exams!
Hi, has anyone else who has had an interview found that on the UCL Portico it says 'interview not attended' (even though I attended on 05/03/14)? Just wanted to check, lol! Thanks!
Reply 1253
Hi, I have some questions about the documents they want us to email in...

1. Do you email the main interviewee form with references and passport copy, or is it ok to send them separately? Some of my references are taking a while to chase up.

2. My passport has expired, so will it still be ok to send a copy of that?

If anyone could help that'd be amazing! My interview is on the 18th, so I don't want to delay the forms too long eeek
Original post by Semanresu
Hi, has anyone else who has had an interview found that on the UCL Portico it says 'interview not attended' (even though I attended on 05/03/14)? Just wanted to check, lol! Thanks!

Yes, mine still says not attended and I went last week so I guess they just don't update Portico that much :smile:
Reply 1255
Got a pre-interview rejection today :/ Was a track update at 12:00pm exactly. Reason Given:

"Due to the intense competition for places on this programme of study, UCL can only offer places to those it considers to be the best applicants. Regrettably, your UCAS application was judged to be not as strong as that of other applicants."

For anyone who's interested my stats are:

GCSE's: 10 A*s 1 A
A Levels (Achieved) : A*A*A*b (in biology chemistry maths and german)
AS Levels in Year 12: BBBC
BMAT: 4.0 5.8 3.5A

The rejection came as no surprise as they'd pretty much already rejected me over the phone a few months ago, when I phoned them to ask why had they requested my AS Level marks in Year 12. I feel upset that they didn't even look at my A2 Performance as their selection process is supposedly 'holistic'-my AS Levels have now cost me a place at two universities (the other choice being Cambridge). I'm also annoyed they've taken nearly 6 months just to send a pre-interview rejection-last year all pre-interview rejections were given out by the end of January.

Onwards and upwards I guess-hopefully I will get an offer from my last remaining choice. And congrats to everyone with offers-UCL is an absolutely fantastic place to study medicine :smile:
Original post by nimsay1
Hi, I have some questions about the documents they want us to email in...

1. Do you email the main interviewee form with references and passport copy, or is it ok to send them separately? Some of my references are taking a while to chase up.

2. My passport has expired, so will it still be ok to send a copy of that?

If anyone could help that'd be amazing! My interview is on the 18th, so I don't want to delay the forms too long eeek

Maybe send the documents you have now and tell them in the email that you will send another reference as soon as you have it. The expired passport should be fine, just mention that it's expired and you're in the process of renewing it or something along those lines :smile: Good luck!
Reply 1257
Original post by DrTJEckleburg
Maybe send the documents you have now and tell them in the email that you will send another reference as soon as you have it. The expired passport should be fine, just mention that it's expired and you're in the process of renewing it or something along those lines :smile: Good luck!

Ok thank you, that's helped a lot! Also, how many references would be good to send in do you think?
Original post by nimsay1
Ok thank you, that's helped a lot! Also, how many references would be good to send in do you think?

I only sent one, but if you have more then send more :smile: that said, I don't think more than one is necessary
Reply 1259
Original post by msewell12
Got a pre-interview rejection today :/ Was a track update at 12:00pm exactly. Reason Given:

"Due to the intense competition for places on this programme of study, UCL can only offer places to those it considers to be the best applicants. Regrettably, your UCAS application was judged to be not as strong as that of other applicants."

For anyone who's interested my stats are:

GCSE's: 10 A*s 1 A
A Levels (Achieved) : A*A*A*b (in biology chemistry maths and german)
AS Levels in Year 12: BBBC
BMAT: 4.0 5.8 3.5A

The rejection came as no surprise as they'd pretty much already rejected me over the phone a few months ago, when I phoned them to ask why had they requested my AS Level marks in Year 12. I feel upset that they didn't even look at my A2 Performance as their selection process is supposedly 'holistic'-my AS Levels have now cost me a place at two universities (the other choice being Cambridge). I'm also annoyed they've taken nearly 6 months just to send a pre-interview rejection-last year all pre-interview rejections were given out by the end of January.

Onwards and upwards I guess-hopefully I will get an offer from my last remaining choice. And congrats to everyone with offers-UCL is an absolutely fantastic place to study medicine :smile:

Your stats are absolutely amazing though! your A2 especially is insane :O Your BMAT is more than decent and your GCSEs are stellar too :frown: I'm really sorry they didn't see that! I wish you the best of luck with your last choice :smile: And this may not be any comfort, but judging from what you have achieved already you have some amazing academic potential and no rejection can make that disappear. No matter where you go, you'll be taking those skills with you and you will eventually get the recognition you deserve.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending