The Student Room Group

Should we all just forget that slavery ever happened?

In most discussions to do with race, someone always inevitably brings up slavery but is there any point in bringing it up? Some people will say that it shouldn't be forgotten nomatter what whereas some will say that it's time black people forgive and move on and leave behind the victim mentality since the past can't be changed. What do you all think?

Edit: Just to be clear. I was referring to the African slave trade that happened in the past not current forms of slavery
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It's still happening now.

Oh, you mean one specific aspect of slavery which has been overdone so as to paint white people as demons while black people are somehow still experiencing the fallout. I thought most of our black population comes from Africa directly. Our slaves were primarily taken to the Americas.

I also dislike how certain aspect such as European colonists trading with Africans for slaves is forgotten. It seems the slave trade only exists once the ships have left Africa.

I dislike how overblown it is compared to any other slave system. I love how Europeans aren't demanding official apologies from areas that Ghenkis Khan ruled. I love how we're not constantly bitching to Italians for the invasion of Great Britain.

Why is no-one bitching as much to Arabs about their slave trade?

Well I'm glad trafficking is now being called slavery, as seen in recent 'adverts'.
Nothing wrong with it as long as the slave is not beaten and fed properly.
I don't see any reason why it should just be forgotten. You shouldn't use them as a point merely to dismiss white people however, because that's not the current practice and most white people would not approve of that.
Reply 4
Original post by Destiny'sChild
In most discussions to do with race, someone always inevitably brings up slavery but is there any point in bringing it up? Some people will say that it shouldn't be forgotten nomatter what whereas some will say that it's time black people forgive and move on and leave behind the victim mentality since the past can't be changed. What do you all think?

Haha what?

Slaves don't = black. Most slaves throughout history have not been black.
Reply 5
It IS a predominant part of Western culture's past so it is inevitable that it will never be forgotten - and rightly so.

It's like asking the Jews to forget the Holocaust.
We have to eradicate slavery first, and as there are more slaves now than there has been at any point in history I think we're a long way off that point.
Reply 7

And after slavery ended.

Racism just stopped…. Right ?

You certainly seem to have a lot of patience for your own bullsh*t but I guess someone has to

The central impact of the African Transatlantic Slave trade you nonchalantly brush aside is the LEGACY. And it’s that legacy that connects everyone posting in this forum today and will continue until the day it’s resolved or addressed.

You cannot (and here's a challenge for you, if you're up for it) point to any other form of slavery (present, past or pre-historic) that has had such an immense and global impact on this planet than the African Holocaust

The outcome of that operation is the crucial factor which in terms of scale and magnitude has gone unsurpassed and has had a profound effect on millions worldwide. Not just because of slavery, that was just the starting point. But because white supremacy would not and still does not allow themselves to see blacks as humans and it carried on long after the slave trade was abolished.

(edited 10 years ago)
1) Slavery still exists, so it's less a matter of forgetting it and more a matter of ignoring it.
2) The best way to understand the present and to prepare for the future is to understand the past.
Original post by the mezzil
Haha what?

Slaves don't = black. Most slaves throughout history have not been black.

Sorry I should have been clear, I just edited my post. I was referring to the mass slave trade that took place during colonial times
Reply 10
Original post by Mackay
It IS a predominant part of Western culture's past so it is inevitable that it will never be forgotten - and rightly so.

It's like asking the Jews to forget the Holocaust.

I don't think the Transatlantic slave trade every actually happened, and don't get me started on the Holohoax.

Spoiler

Reply 11
We can't be held accountable for what our ancestors did.

But slavery shouldn't be forgotten, it should never happen again!
Original post by Phil-Liverp
And after slavery ended.

Racism just stopped…. Right ?

You certainly seem to have a lot of patience for your own bullsh*t but I guess someone has to

The central impact of the African Transatlantic Slave trade you nonchalantly brush aside is the LEGACY. And it’s that legacy that connects everyone posting in this forum today and will continue until the day it’s resolved or addressed.

You cannot (and here's a challenge for you, if you're up for it) point to any other form of slavery (present, past or pre-historic) that has had such an immense and global impact on this planet than the African Holocaust

The outcome of that operation is the crucial factor which in terms of scale and magnitude has gone unsurpassed and has had a profound effect on millions worldwide. Not just because of slavery, that was just the starting point. But because white supremacy would not and still does not allow themselves to see blacks as humans and it carried on long after the slave trade was abolished.

I am African and before you go attacking me, I more than understand the impact that the African holocaust had and left on the black population. For example, its the main reason there's so much self-hate within our race which becomes evident if you visit some parts of the United States. It has left Africa, a continent dependent on foreign aid etc..

In response to your challenge, I'll say that slavery is slavery end of. The Jewish Holocaust is regarded as having had a greater impact on the world but only because it's an issue that has been adressed time and time again whereas the African slave trade is rarely referred to as a Holocaust. It's not talked about as such because it's been thrown on the backburner and an an issue that the world is not yet ready to face and resolve. Why that is, puzzles me and its something i get angry about.

I agree with you. Slavery was abolished in 1865 yet it took a hundred years for blacks to get equal rights in America. But this was not my question. What i asked was, would we be better off forgetting slavery and moving on with our lives? When do we stop blaming slavery for the state Africa is in or the perceived 'white supremacy' or racism. It'a just that so many black people are still blaming slavery for all their problems and adopting a victim mentality when we should move on and start building ourselves up again.
Here is a nice educational site for you as to the "legacy" of slavery and colonialism that still exists today, OP:

http://thisiswhiteprivilege.tumblr.com/

Things have consequences. You cannot just forget history, because it is still affecting things today. Of course, people have some power over their lives too, but to insist that people just "shut up, forget and move on," as it were, is ridiculous.
Original post by Ripper-Roo
We can't be held accountable for what our ancestors did.

But slavery shouldn't be forgotten, it should never happen again!

This. I'm not suggesting that it should be left out of History books and be literally forgotten because obviously we learn from our past mistakes.
I am African and before you go attacking me, I more than understand the impact that the African holocaust had and left on the black population. For example, its the main reason there's so much self-hate within our race which becomes evident if you visit some parts of the United States. It has left Africa, a continent dependent on foreign aid etc..

In response to your challenge, I'll say that slavery is slavery end of. The Jewish Holocaust is regarded as having had a greater impact on the world but only because it's an issue that has been adressed time and time again whereas the African slave trade is rarely referred to as a Holocaust. It's not talked about as such because it's been thrown on the backburner and an an issue that the world is not yet ready to face and resolve. Why that is, puzzles me and its something i get angry about.

I agree with you. Slavery was abolished in 1865 yet it took a hundred years for blacks to get equal rights in America. But this was not my question. What i asked was, would we be better off forgetting slavery and moving on with our lives? When do we stop blaming slavery for the state Africa is in or the perceived 'white supremacy' or racism. It'a just that so many black people are still blaming slavery for all their problems and adopting a victim mentality when we should move on and start building ourselves up again.

I do think we should "forget it". Not just slavery, I feel a lot of the black youth use the tribulations of their relatives and ancestors as a crutch.
No stats. Just what I've seen. I'm black.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Lol you cant forget something that is still happening.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
I don't think that we should forget the African slave trade in the sense that pupils should be taught about it just as they're taught about the Holocaust. However, I don't think it's fair to focus only on the African slave trade as there were many others throughout history.
What I think should instead stop is this irrelevant victim mentality and the use of the 'ermagherd dats racist' card. It happens centuries ago and yes, whilst it's horrible and demeaning and all of those negative things, it's over. You don't see Jews, the disabled, Unionists, Gypsies and homosexuals banging on about the Holocaust (or do you?) and neither do you see Japan bringing up Hiroshima. In fact, the only equivalent refusal to let history go that I can think of is the Rape of Nanking, although that is understandable as Japan pretends it never happened.
The North won't forget that Thatcher shut the mines...
Black people who aren't or weren't Slaves have no right to feel like victims...................because they weren't, the same applies to jews who weren't directly affected by the holocaust.

You can't just be a victims for the sake of it, however I don't see the need in forgetting it because it happens to be part of history.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending