The Student Room Group

A2 Heatwaves and Anticyclonic Conditions?

I am writing up my notes for the A2 Heatwaves sub-topic and am struggling to find the causes for the 1995 Chicago heatwave, don't have it in my notes, in any of the textbooks I have access to and haven't find it easily searching online. Was it caused by anticyclonic conditions as the European 2003 heatwave was?

Thank you if you have any idea!
Reply 1
Original post by goodmorningworld
I am writing up my notes for the A2 Heatwaves sub-topic and am struggling to find the causes for the 1995 Chicago heatwave, don't have it in my notes, in any of the textbooks I have access to and haven't find it easily searching online. Was it caused by anticyclonic conditions as the European 2003 heatwave was?

Thank you if you have any idea!

i can't find the specifics for this case study either but i think that most heatwaves have the underlying cause of anticyclonic conditions so i would say yes it was caused by a anticyclone
Original post by tgwktm
i can't find the specifics for this case study either but i think that most heatwaves have the underlying cause of anticyclonic conditions so i would say yes it was caused by a anticyclone

Thanks! I was having real trouble too, managed to find one thing that insinuated it was caused by anticyclonic conditions but never overtly said it; thanks for reassuring me that it probably was! :biggrin:
Reply 3
Thanks! I was having real trouble too, managed to find one thing that insinuated it was caused by anticyclonic conditions but never overtly said it; thanks for reassuring me that it probably was! :biggrin:

i have 2 case studies for anticyclones one for a heatwave (european heatwave 2003) and one for a cold spell (UK winter 2010), so you may not need another one.
Original post by tgwktm
i have 2 case studies for anticyclones one for a heatwave (european heatwave 2003) and one for a cold spell (UK winter 2010), so you may not need another one.

Think you're the first person I've seen on Student Room doing OCR geography :biggrin: How many case studies have you got overall, I have so many >.<
I've got 2 for heatwave (Chicago and 2003) and one for cold spell the same as you :smile:
Just been typing up my landslides notes and I have about 10 case studies, same for earthquakes and volcanoes... but barely any for Climatic Hazards :confused:
Reply 5
Think you're the first person I've seen on Student Room doing OCR geography :biggrin: How many case studies have you got overall, I have so many >.<
I've got 2 for heatwave (Chicago and 2003) and one for cold spell the same as you :smile:
Just been typing up my landslides notes and I have about 10 case studies, same for earthquakes and volcanoes... but barely any for Climatic Hazards :confused:

really not sure how many i have for everything but climatic hazards i have case studies for hurricanes, tornadoes, depressions, anticyclones and air pollution. do you mean you have 10 case studies for earth hazards or 10 for just landslides?
Original post by tgwktm
really not sure how many i have for everything but climatic hazards i have case studies for hurricanes, tornadoes, depressions, anticyclones and air pollution. do you mean you have 10 case studies for earth hazards or 10 for just landslides?

For landslides :O 4 in proper detail and then six mini case studies :smile:
Are you finished being taught all of the content?
Reply 7
For landslides :O 4 in proper detail and then six mini case studies :smile:
Are you finished being taught all of the content?

wow we did 2 one larger one and then one smaller one. almost finished got a few more lessons on climatic hazards and a bit more on development. you are the first person on tsr who i have found to be doing ocr geography everyone else seems to do AQA or something

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending