The Student Room Group

Leicester Medical Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2960
My colleague at work was a grad applicant interviewed on the 18th. He got an offer last week also.

Fingers crossed for today. Although I've spent the whole weekend telling myself that I haven't got in so not very hopeful anymore!

Original post by Tivo
Hi has anyone who had an interview on feb 18 th heard yet?
Original post by LiSpi
My colleague at work was a grad applicant interviewed on the 18th. He got an offer last week also.

Fingers crossed for today. Although I've spent the whole weekend telling myself that I haven't got in so not very hopeful anymore!

Was colleague at work a international student?
Reply 2962
Original post by LiSpi

Did they apply for A100 or A101?
Reply 2963
Original post by medicine hope
Was colleague at work a international student?

Nah he's an English dental max fax fy1 applying to a101. He had the 18th interview instead of 27th because he needed extra time
Reply 2964
Literally just sat here and laughed at myself over how desperate I am for any tiny scrap of news.

Off to work now. Good luck everyone :smile:
Ugh, just want to hear the news but I know it won't be this week either due to the final interviews.
Reply 2966
Anyone else got that sinking feeling..?

:titan:
Reply 2967
Original post by Dr Gin

I've been planning my 'gap year' all weekend. Don't know whether that's pessimistic, optimistic or just something to stop me going even more insane with all this waiting!
Original post by Alumno
Literally just sat here and laughed at myself over how desperate I am for any tiny scrap of news.

Off to work now. Good luck everyone :smile:

Original post by walkers38
Ugh, just want to hear the news but I know it won't be this week either due to the final interviews.

Original post by Dr Gin

Original post by LiSpi
I've been planning my 'gap year' all weekend. Don't know whether that's pessimistic, optimistic or just something to stop me going even more insane with all this waiting!

I do think the majority of offers are still to come, it just sucks they're making you wait for them! Hopefully once those final interviews are done the offers will come thick and fast.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone else rapidly going off the unis that are keeping them waiting? I was so in love with Leicester but my interview was such a daunting experience and it was so long ago that I am beginning to feel accepting of a rejection....
People need to stop writing off their chances, they made it very clear that the vast majority of offers would be made at the end of march. Not EVERYONE is gonna get a rejection!!
Original post by cloud9medic
I'm really sorry to hear that :frown: I think it would be worth getting feedback on your application though, I have a friend that got 56 and landed an interview, good luck for your other choices :smile:

I really don't understand Leicester. I have a pre interview score of 57 and have heard nothing from them. With only three days to go until the final interview date I know I'm not going to get an interview and since they say the cut off this year is 57 why not just email me the rejection? Leicester seem to have the worst selection process in the country. How they can make decisions on so many peoples applications before they have even interviewed all the candidates is mad!
Original post by JAS101101
I really don't understand Leicester. I have a pre interview score of 57 and have heard nothing from them. With only three days to go until the final interview date I know I'm not going to get an interview and since they say the cut off this year is 57 why not just email me the rejection? Leicester seem to have the worst selection process in the country. How they can make decisions on so many peoples applications before they have even interviewed all the candidates is mad!

Leicester have not said their cut off is 57 this year. That was last year's cut off, they made it quite clear at open days etc that it would change depending on the scores that applied this year.

I am really sorry about you not hearing, it's the **** thing that happens at many med schools, no rejections until end of cycle. Leicester are also not alone in making small batch of offers for each interview date but saving some/the majority of all offers until the end of cycle.

I would like to say there has to be a better way of doing it, because endless waits and lack of updates post application is beyond frustrating... But I doubt at the moment there is.

I hope you have had better luck securing interviews else where!

Posted from TSR Mobile

The only thing I can think of is that they said on the open day for borderline applicants (like yourself and my friend) they use your ps. Having said that definitely get feedback, I spoke to a girl at the Birmingham open day who said she got rejected post interview and after asking why they told her they had made a mistake and she was accepted! Moral of the story always ask why!
Reply 2974

I really feel for you; this process is so horrible and each university seems to have its own issues. I have seen people with scores of 58 denied interview so I think they read a lot of personal statements before deciding who to see. I suspect the only reason that they haven't already rejected some of those who haven't qualified for interview is that they (you) were in the closest batch (so they hung on to you the longest in case they needed you) and now they are distracted because they are focussing hard on trying to get their post-interview decisions made. As time goes by things evolve for them: candidates withdraw because they have received their preferred offers which means that the goalposts keep subtly moving and this puts pressure on them to send-out offers to lure the best candidates. One thing I would say in their favour is that they make the effort (and it is very expensive/time-consuming) to interview far more people than average med schools so they give as many candidates a chance as possible... I know it isn't a proper 'excuse' but I honestly don't think Leicester are any worse than any of the other med schools: they all have far too many lovely, bright people desperate for strictly limited places…:frown: Good luck for the future, I hope either your other choices have been more rewarding or that you get there in the end...:smile:
Original post by haribo26
Hi, I'm not a graduate applicant but my stats are:
9 A* 2 A GCSE
AAAAA AS level
Predicted A*A*A*A* at A level
UKCAT 842.5 Band 2
Unis applied to:
Edinburgh, UCL, Leicester, Sheffield

Hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, thanks again. Just wondering what your BMAT score for UCL was?
Does anyone have any idea about accommodation in leicester? ??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2977
Original post by asahota1986

Posted from TSR Mobile

Medics move in a week before everyone else best place for first years is in oadby village and any of the halls there are great depends on what you can afford majority are catered. This is all i got from the open day :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2978
Original post by asahota1986

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most students go into halls for the first year; these are in the 'Student Village' which is in a quiet leafy suburban area 2 miles from the University (Oadby). Alternatively, the most popular student areas are Clarendon Park and Highfields where loads of private rental accommodation can be found. Clarendon Park is close to the university (you just have to walk across the park) and has plenty of bars and restaurants plus small supermarkets/shops; it has a lovely vibe and is inhabited by students and young (often academic) families. Highfields is a little further to walk but still close. It is a very popular area to live among asian families so has shops and restaurants which reflect the diverse cultural mix of Leicester...
Reply 2979
After all the palava with me panicking at sending a reference they requested, got my offer!

Firmed it straight away (since I have 3 rejections lol!). GEM Leicester here I come!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending