The Student Room Group

why do you drive a manual?

since this country is majority manual was wondering why people choose it ?

what you learnt in?
cheaper ?
fuel economy? (not so much in new cars)
miss the 3rd pedal ?

Scroll to see replies

Because race car.
I learned to drive in a manual because it's better to, as then you can legally drive both manual and automatic cars.
I purchased a manual car for my first car, as I wanted a small car which was cheap to buy and insure. I got a car that was about 10 years old because it was cheaper to insure, and because of its age and make, was a manual.
There's no real point in learning to drive in an automatic when the majority of cars sold in Britain are manuals.
Reply 3
Because vroom vroom
Reply 4
Original post by LickingCarpet
Because race car.

they have semi automated paddle shift or sequential gearbox now
Reply 5
I drive a manual because it's what I learnt in. I also feel more in control of a manual car.

I find it kind of boring driving an automatic.
Reply 6
Because manual cars are proper cars.
To be honest, although there might not be as many automatics as manuals, there always seem to be a lot for sale around the local area that I live in - so I doubt people would have a problem finding one; it's just less choice. Each to their own, I guess.

Passing in a manual doesn't stop you driving an auto, though, so it's always a safer bet unless you particularly need to pass your test quickly for some reason.

Original post by cdude
Because manual cars are proper cars.

Haha, a few years ago a friend of mine was learning to drive in an auto and some of the lads in our group were teasing her (being quite horrible, actually) about how it wasn't a real car, and how she wasn't really driving. Yet I didn't see them complaining when she passed well before them and they wanted lifts to college in her "not real car".

If you have a car to drive, it doesn't matter what it is. A car gets you to where you want to be, no matter how the gears operate. Sure, you may have an easier time finding a car if you have a manual license, but if you choose to drive an auto you're still driving a car!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
No fun in automatic!
Reply 9
Original post by Aay
No fun in automatic!

Changing gears is fun?
Original post by jusdorange
Changing gears is fun?

Yep!
Reply 11
Changing gears is fun?

Does every reply from you have to be so cocky?
I enjoy the ability to change down a few cogs if I need an extra burst of speed (for overtaking etc.).

I'm also not a faggot.
Reply 13
Original post by Aay
Does every reply from you have to be so cocky?

It was you who took it to be cocky, I didn't mean it aa such

I'm not the one calling people names in this thread (not directed at you btw)
Reply 14
I passed in manual but drove my mums automatic (don't judge) Since then i've preferred Auto for some reason, just seems more relaxed tbh. if I was going to do a 45 minutes or more route everyday I would get a Automatic because its just that much easier.
Reply 15
BTW this wasn't a bait thread

More "can someone explain why you like manuals without resorting to abuse"

Or was I expecting too much ?
Reply 16
Original post by King Leonidas
Yep!

I'll try with you;

What aspect do you enjoy ? getting timing right? The physical movement of a gear shift?
Reply 17
since this country is majority manual was wondering why people choose it ?

what you learnt in?
cheaper ?
fuel economy? (not so much in new cars)
miss the 3rd pedal ?

Most cars in UK are manual because British cars had rubbish automatic gearboxes. Also majority of cars tend to be smaller tin cans with weezy engines that aren't suited for automatics.

Myself, I learned in a manual. The dealership I used to work for required everyone to be licensed to drive a manual.

Cheaper? Cheaper indeed to buy and to maintain.

Fuel economy? Hahahaha it won't be economical with me behind the wheel :biggrin:

Whenever I drive a manual these days I often forget it has a 3rd pedal.

My previous cars.

72 Volvo 164. It was originally an automatic but converted to be a manual by the previous owner. Was in a hurry to buy it so didn't really care what gearbox it had.

83 Austin Metro. Manual, was looking for a cheap small car and small automatics were rare in the 90s.

95 Alfa Romeo 145. Manual, they never made this car automatic and I loved this car from the first time I saw it.

98 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo. It was a 6 speed manual, no automatic variants and also another one of those cars that I loved the first time I saw it.

00 Saab 9-5 2.0t Estate. It was a manual as I wanted more kit on the car and the autobox was simply too expensive.

01 Alfa Romeo 156 2.5 Sportwagon. This was an automatic as the manual variant was never sold in Singapore.

03 Honda Accord. It was an automatic as well, they never sold a manual version.

08 Volvo XC90 T5. No such thing as a manual version :smile:

09 Alfa Romeo GT 3.2, this one was a manual and was the only manual one in Singapore at that time. It was the last unit and it was a take it or leave it as the COE was going up after that decided to take it.

10 Alfa Romeo 159 2.2, this was a Selespeed semi-automatic. It was the only variant sold in Singapore.

09 Audi Q7 3.6, it was an automatic. No manual ones were made.

11 Lexus. CT200h. No manual versions, it had a horrible CVT gearbox.

08 Alfa Romeo Brera S 3.2, this was an import from UK and only manual variants were made. I wanted this car and the manual was highly desirable in such a car.

10 Volvo XC90 D5, automatic. It was bought 2nd hand and manual ones are rare.

13 Volvo C70 T5, also an automatic. No manual versions with that engine.

13 Land Rover Discovery, it is an automatic as well, they don't make manual versions as they don't make them for plebs any longer :smile:

14 Tesla Model S. It doesn't have a gearbox :smile:
I'll try with you;

What aspect do you enjoy ? getting timing right? The physical movement of a gear shift?

I love running my fingers around the head of the gearstick, I love being the dominant one whilst pushing the stick around and squeezing its head firmly. I absolutely thrive off pushing it up and down whilst our action speeds up and intesifies. The only thing that is missing is the release of some fluid when you reach the last gear.
In manual car in 4th gear. Going up a steep hill? Better go to 3rd! :smile:
In automatic car in 4th gear. Going up a steep hill? You will stay in 4th and struggle. :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending