The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6680
Original post by Good bloke
I like his logic. By it the UK can expect 92% of the value of the land that Scotland expects to take with it upon independence, plus 92% of the value of the buildings and infrastructure.

I presume 92% is a population rather than GDP figure?

I'd only apply to publically owned land/infrastructure (although I'm sure the SNP wouldn't take issue with having 92% of London's private land value!).
Pull the other one, you're only upset that he's trying to break free of English control and imperialism.

I didn't read the OP and I don't really care what he's planning, but stop letting your notion of a 'United Britain' paint him as an idiot.
Original post by Ripper-Roo
stop letting your notion of a 'United Britain' paint him as an idiot.

He paints himself as an idiot. He isn't (he is very intelligent) but he certainly paints himself as one.
It's about time we decimated Scotland once and for all
Original post by Quady
I presume 92% is a population rather than GDP figure?

I'd only apply to publically owned land/infrastructure (although I'm sure the SNP wouldn't take issue with having 92% of London's private land value!).

It would be about 92% by population, 92% by GVA, or 91% by GDP. The SNP would be getting the 8%!
Pull the other one, you're only upset that he's trying to break free of English control and imperialism.

I didn't read the OP and I don't really care what he's planning, but stop letting your notion of a 'United Britain' paint him as an idiot.

He continues to claim that an independent Scotland would have automatic entry into the EU, despite the EU themselves saying it wouldn't be the case.
He continues to claim that an independent Scotland would be in a currency union with the rest of the UK, despite all three main parties saying no.
He claims an independent Scotland would still be in NATO, despite NATO saying they would be refused membership if they attempted to get rid of British nuclear weapons based in Scotland, which Salmond still maintains is exactly what the SNP will do.
He claims to want to keep and restore all of Scotland's historic army regiments, despite the fact the numbers don't add up, since that alone would require 14,000 manpower, out of 15,000 allocated for the total envisioned Scottish military.
He ignores numerous reports that point out flaws in his proposed economic and fiscal policies, and that raise concern over the planned reliance on north sea oil and banking.
He keeps making ridiculous demands on the rest of the UK, like we should take all the debt and have to pay for x and y, and then claims we're bullies when we say no and threatens to default post-independence.
The YES campaign is floundering, they're over 20 points behind NO in opinion polls, people aren't buying into his constant fantasies, the SNP have lost the confidence of the Scottish business community. Yeah Alex Salmond is a bit of a wally.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6686
Original post by pol pot noodles
It would be about 92% by population, 92% by GVA, or 91% by GDP. The SNP would be getting the 8%!

Yup.

And I'd hazard a guess the share by value of public sector assets in Scotland is less than in the rUK - presumebaly why Salmond is suggesting it as a negotiating position.
Original post by Quady
Yup.

And I'd hazard a guess the share by value of public sector assets in Scotland is less than in the rUK - presumebaly why Salmond is suggesting it as a negotiating position.

I wonder what 92% of the value of the oilfields is. :wink:
Reply 6688
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10685381/Scots-to-demand-cash-for-English-services.html

Well that's the Yes campaign jumping the shark :bricks:

Still, fun while it lasted :smile:
Reply 6689
Original post by Good bloke
I wonder what 92% of the value of the oilfields is. :wink:

Very true :smile:
Reply 6690
Original post by CFL2013
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10685381/Scots-to-demand-cash-for-English-services.html

Well that's the Yes campaign jumping the shark :bricks:

Still, fun while it lasted :smile:

Doesn't seem like he's thought it through. By the same logic, Scotland should be forced to buy out rUK's share in Scottish public services and properties. Surely the two would mostly cancel each other out?
Original post by Psyk
Doesn't seem like he's thought it through. By the same logic, Scotland should be forced to buy out rUK's share in Scottish public services and properties. Surely the two would mostly cancel each other out?

Well, by the same logic, he'll owe the UK quite a bit of cash for its 92% share of the land he wants to take with him, and the oilfields.
Original post by Psyk

Not in Nat world. What's mine is mine and what yours is mine.

Salmonds trying to
Play wedge politics now.
Original post by MatureStudent36
Not in Nat world. What's mine is mine and what yours is mine.

Salmonds trying to
Play wedge politics now.

It's desperate stuff. Nobody is forcing Scotland out-if it chooses to leave then it has no right to claim part of institutions belonging to a state it refuses to be part of.

I also find it odd how he still hasn't got hold of an accurate map of the UK. Wales and Northern Ireland once more seem to have vanished from thought.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midlander
It's desperate stuff. Nobody is forcing Scotland out-if it chooses to leave then it has no right to claim part of institutions belonging to a state it refuses to be part of.

I also find it odd how he still hasn't got hold of an accurate map of the UK. Wales and Northern Ireland once more seem to have vanished from thought.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are some claims that Scotland can make reference assets and liabilities, but I think Salmond is just trying to stir up trouble. He'll benefit from some English Tory MP saying something and that will instantly be turns into 'this is what Westminster thinks of Scotland.'

There was some input from a legal expert from Strathclyde university (I think) a few weeks back high lighting that splits tend to be along geographic areas. Not off balance sheets.

So although the SNP are right that we're entitled to a portion of the gold held in the vaults at the BoE, you can't expect the service that the BoE offers to be split.

There was me thinking it wasn't about Scotland v England.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MatureStudent36
So although the SNP are right that we're entitled to a portion of the gold held in the vaults at the BoE, you can't expect the service that the BoE offers to be split.

I'm fairly sure some guy from Kirkcaldy already sold our gold.
Reply 6697
Original post by Snagprophet

Maybe we should bill iScotland for that? :colondollar:
Reply 6698
Original post by Snagprophet

The BoE has no gold reserves? :O

Where did the money from the gold go?
Original post by Quady
The BoE has no gold reserves? :O

Where did the money from the gold go?

He sold off over half our reserves, in a manner that was bound to lower the value, at a time when the price was at a low anyway. Madness! The money realised just went to the treasury and offset borrowings. The man was a raving idiot.

Latest

Trending

Trending