The Student Room Group

Bob Crow dies at the age of 52

The General Secretary of the Rail Maritime and Transport Union Bob Crow has died.

What will this mean for Unions in the UK and what impact will it have on the London transport system?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
He was one of the union leaders to strongly speak out against the EU so he will be missed when we need the unions to continue to oppose the EU
I was no fan of anything he stood for or did, but that is a tragically young age to die. My sympathies to his family.
Reply 3
Such a shame to hear about the passing of Bob Crow. He was a fantastic trade union leader and served his members well. He will be missed!
Reply 4
Boris Johnson has released a statement -

"I'm shocked. Bob Crow was a fighter and a man of character. Whatever our political differences, and there were many, this is tragic news.

Bob fought tirelessly for his beliefs and for his members. There can be absolutely no doubt that he played a big part in the success of the tube and he shared my goal - to make transport in London an even greater success.

It's a sad day."

Though he would never admit it, I'm sure that Boris is glad that Bob Crow is now out of his way - without Crow the RMT would have been nowhere near as successful.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Genuinely shocked at this. The guy seemed to be at the peak of his career and fighting fit. Fair play for standing up for his convictions etc...
A sad loss. One of the last great British lefties.
Thank god for that, ****ing *****.

And before anyone says that you shouldn't speak ill of the dead, can I remind everyone that we are talking about the same Bob Crow that said Margaret Thatcher could 'rot in hell' after she died.
Reply 8
now his council house can go to someone who actually deserves it
Original post by She-Ra
The General Secretary of the Rail Maritime and Transport Union Bob Crow has died.

What will this mean for Unions in the UK and what impact will it have on the London transport system?

The impact is that the tube workers will actually have to do some work now. Shocking.
Reply 10
Murdered after coming out this week saying he supported MPs having a large pay rise?

I wonder who'll get his council house...
Original post by the bear
now his council house can go to someone who actually deserves it

This.
Reply 12
Original post by 89_Vibes
Genuinely shocked at this. The guy seemed to be at the peak of his career and fighting fit. Fair play for standing up for his convictions etc...

Look at him, hardly appeared to be a figure of health was he...?
Reply 13
Original post by Forum User

And before anyone says that you shouldn't speak ill of the dead, can I remind everyone that we are talking about the same Bob Crow that said Margaret Thatcher could 'rot in hell' after she died.

I bet the mods in their wisdom will let this one go...
Reply 14
Original post by Quady
Look at him, hardly appeared to be a figure of health was he...?

Dunno really, a lot of middle aged politicians have a bit of a belly.

Kind of similar to the death of Robin Cook; suddenly and at the peak of his career.
Original post by 89_Vibes
I bet the mods in their wisdom will let this one go...

Why shouldn't they? It's a forum so people are allowed to have differing views.

You want to eulogize Bob Crow, that's up to you. Most hard-working Londoners are very glad he is gone, I am sure. Boris Johnson is just too much of a gentleman to say it.
Need more men like him
Reply 17
Wow, I had to double take that for a moment there. Definitely not something I was expecting. Whether you think of the man's politics and his approaches (it's best if I leave my view out of it), it is sad news when anyone dies and it is a horribly young age to die so my thoughts go out to the family.
Wonder if right wingers will dance in the streets with joy like the lefties did with Thatcher's death?
Original post by Forum User

I almost forgot that maggs had popped it, thanks for reminding me it's brightened my day up a little

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending