The Student Room Group

HELP! Earnest Coursework Essay

Hi, I am starting a new coursework essay but have no clue how to start or what to write!

The title :
“Unless comedy touches me as well as amuses me, it leaves me with a sense of having wasted my evening” How far do you agree with Shaw that although Wilde's dramatic comedy is funny, it is essentially ‘heartless’ and lacking in depth.

Thank you!
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Reply 2
Original post by collegegirl123
Hi, I am starting a new coursework essay but have no clue how to start or what to write!

The title :
“Unless comedy touches me as well as amuses me, it leaves me with a sense of having wasted my evening” How far do you agree with Shaw that although Wilde's dramatic comedy is funny, it is essentially ‘heartless’ and lacking in depth.

Thank you!

I have studied The Importance of Being Earnest at AS Level myself. It could be heartless in that all of the characters (but Lady Bracknell in particular) are p***takes of the contemporary British upper class and so you're meant to laugh at them more than sympathise with them. There aren't really many where you feel some pity or sadness for the characters, it's all very light-hearted. That said, some of the characters could be said to be likeable. For instance, Algenon is very much a "lovable rogue" type character. To be honest, I can't help you much more than this, as for this play, I did my essay on another area. But hopefully what I have given you is useful. :smile:
Reply 3
You could start by agreeing with the question, find examples and quotes where the play is trivial. For example Gwendolyn uses hyperbole and states she "ADORES cucumber sandwiches" ( or something similar). Give a god paragraph or 2 agreeing with the question and try and get as many quotes as you can to back up your argument. Then disagree and show how there are serious elements (A03) and perhaps comment on how Wilde critiques Victorian society of the time (A04) using characatures (can't spell sorry) to get his message across :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending