The Student Room Group

[ S.O.S] Toefl or Ielts..

Hi ! I'm a french student who wants to get into an UK university next year.

I hesitate between this two tests..

I need a 7 overall in the Ielts or a 107 with 25 overall in the Toefl...

Which is the easiest?

Best regards.
Reply 1
Original post by Sylar20
Hi ! I'm a french student who wants to get into an UK university next year.

I hesitate between this two tests..

I need a 7 overall in the Ielts or a 107 with 25 overall in the Toefl...

Which is the easiest?

Best regards.

If you are wanting to study in the UK, definitely go with IELTS as it is a British exam. Neither exam is easier or more difficult, they are just different. Some universities will have specific requirements about the type of exam you should take, which in the UK will almost always be IELTS. A level 7 is good, though! The speaking test is a better format in the IELTS, in my opinion. I'm an ESL teacher, so I have experience with both of these tests.
I don't have experience with TOEFL, but I have taken IELTS twice, with the latest band score being an 8.5.

If universities accept both of them, they have the exact same recognition so it's the same in that regard. IELTS is commissioned by Cambridge so British universities all recognise it, but I'm not aware of any which does not recognise TOEFL, whilst I believe some American schools do not ask for IELTS. Whether which one is easier I'm not sure. Supposedly they are set on the same level, hence you can do either of them, but different styles of assessment may suit different people better.

You should try taking either of them by doing a set of past paper each to see in which one you do better.
Reply 3
Thank you so much, I've started my preparation for the Ielts.
Reply 4
I had my IELTS test and got band 5.5 for the first time and without any preparation. It is easier than TOEFL IS
:cool:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending