The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jemmylou134
Hey guys I'm so stuck! I have a job interview and for the teaching aspect I'm teaching fractions in number form (not shape) to year 2. I'm not really sure what that means though! Can anyone explain this to me?

I'm assuming that it means they want you to teach them fractions in the number form, e.g. 1/2, instead of using shapes to show fractions. So don't have them splitting shapes up into halves, quarters etc. Does that make it any clearer?
Your starter activity should assess their prior knowledge and you need a plan B for your lesson in case they know more than you think.
Original post by Steveluis10
I got the job! The head rang me and said I'd really impressed today. Didn't expect to get it on my first interview, I'm very happy :smile:

Congrats!
Original post by Shelly_x
I've been given an interview for every post I've applied for, so my application is fine. It's the interviews I fall down at! Always outperformed by more experienced candidates. Bah.

That sucks :frown: keep going, if your feedback is good then there's not much more you can do, you just seem to be unlucky but your luck is going to change, just be confident!
Original post by Steveluis10
That sucks :frown: keep going, if your feedback is good then there's not much more you can do, you just seem to be unlucky but your luck is going to change, just be confident!

Thanks. I've just applied for a job at my second placement school where there are a couple of jobs... So hopefully...
I'm assuming that it means they want you to teach them fractions in the number form, e.g. 1/2, instead of using shapes to show fractions. So don't have them splitting shapes up into halves, quarters etc. Does that make it any clearer?
Your starter activity should assess their prior knowledge and you need a plan B for your lesson in case they know more than you think.

Okay, thank you. I was going to get them to answer some fraction word problems but a friend from uni said that work sheet type things should be avoided for interviews so I'm not sure really. What is your opinion from your experience at interviews?
Original post by Jemmylou134
Okay, thank you. I was going to get them to answer some fraction word problems but a friend from uni said that work sheet type things should be avoided for interviews so I'm not sure really. What is your opinion from your experience at interviews?

You need to showcase your skills as a teacher. You need to show you can be exciting and engage the children in their learning.
Hi, i am starting my PGCE primary in Sept after 5 years where i left my secondary PGCE half way as i couldnt stand it. Just want to know whether the primary PGCE will be different?
Also, will you be able to help me out on the skills test, they are driving me mad. only three attempts, fail them and you cannot get into the course for another 2 years. would really appreciate some guidance
Original post by rumaisa8026
Hi, i am starting my PGCE primary in Sept after 5 years where i left my secondary PGCE half way as i couldnt stand it. Just want to know whether the primary PGCE will be different?
Also, will you be able to help me out on the skills test, they are driving me mad. only three attempts, fail them and you cannot get into the course for another 2 years. would really appreciate some guidance

That entirely depends on why you hated your secondary pgce.
There is a massive thread just above this one on the QTS tests which offers loads of help and guidance. If you practice enough you'll be fine, they are only ks3 level.
Reply 3028
Anyone here on primary pgce can tell me what the workload is like this time of year? Is most of the work complete giving you time to create personal statements for jobs and time to attend interviews?
Reply 3029
I think it depends a lot on the uni. I'm currently in uni full time before my next placement starts in a week and a half. I have a master's level assignment due and handed one in on Monday. On top of this we're all juggling school visits and interviews. The fun never stops :-)
Original post by Ali B
Anyone here on primary pgce can tell me what the workload is like this time of year? Is most of the work complete giving you time to create personal statements for jobs and time to attend interviews?

You will likely be on placement planning and teaching about 70% of a teachers timetable - so quite a heavy workload. You wont have submitted all your assignments, there will likely be at least one left.
So you need to juggle the workload and manage your time.
Hi im in my 3rd year at uni aswell and honestly I feel the same way as you do. Most people in my uni feel that way and most of them have quit now... and we are doing primary! the amount of work is ridiculous and i spend most nights doing work... cant do it anymore... i hardly get enough sleep anymore, no weekends and my relationship is also suffering as i never have time to see him so i completely understand. I think teaching has become a lot harder now a days than before and its a joke.
Original post by secretblush
Hi im in my 3rd year at uni aswell and honestly I feel the same way as you do. Most people in my uni feel that way and most of them have quit now... and we are doing primary! the amount of work is ridiculous and i spend most nights doing work... cant do it anymore... i hardly get enough sleep anymore, no weekends and my relationship is also suffering as i never have time to see him so i completely understand. I think teaching has become a lot harder now a days than before and its a joke.

Remember once you become a qualified teacher planning will not have to be as detailed and thorough as it is while training. That instantly reduces the workload a lot. I just think it'll be easier once you're a teacher and not shadowing another.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3033
Original post by qwerty_mad
Remember once you become a qualified teacher planning will not have to be as detailed and thorough as it is while training. That instantly reduces the workload a lot. I just think it'll be easier once you're a teacher and not shadowing another.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm an NQT, you're right about the planning not being as detailed. The work load is still ridiculous though, you will be introduced to lots of paper work that you may not have experience of during uni. You won't be covering all teaching areas during your block so when you're a full time teacher you will be researching topics that you're unfamiliar with. You will be marking in depth, some schools require this every day. I had this idea that once I had a job it would be 'easier', it isn't. The only thing that is different is that you're in control and you have more flexibility to prioritise. Despite all of the work load, working at night and at least one day at the weekend, I really do love my job and that is what keeps me going.
Original post by lowe28
I'm an NQT, you're right about the planning not being as detailed. The work load is still ridiculous though, you will be introduced to lots of paper work that you may not have experience of during uni. You won't be covering all teaching areas during your block so when you're a full time teacher you will be researching topics that you're unfamiliar with. You will be marking in depth, some schools require this every day. I had this idea that once I had a job it would be 'easier', it isn't. The only thing that is different is that you're in control and you have more flexibility to prioritise. Despite all of the work load, working at night and at least one day at the weekend, I really do love my job and that is what keeps me going.

I agree, the workload is ridiculous. I'm marking Btec work and a level coursework, and I've gotten really far behind on my book marking. Running catch up sessions for year 11s up to three nights a week and still planning almost every night. Have been asked to come in for 3 days during Easter for catch up sessions, and we have to pack as we're moving to a new building. Exhausted doesn't cover it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
PGCE workload is immense it is not for the faint hearted. You have to be hardworking, to survive the year and you need a passion to teach.

Posted from TSR Mobile
NEED SOME URGENT ADVICE

I'm on the Primary 5-11 route meaning Years 1-6. However, due to being unable to find placements in KS1 or KS2 my uni put me in Reception, which isn't covered in my age range.

My uni tutor came down today to observe and recommended I be put on Cause for Concern. I'm really flabbergasted by this as I think the uni has failed in it's duty - I paid for the 5-11 route and expect to be placed in classes that meet those age ranges.

I have to email the course leader and see what she says. But what do you think I can do?? And how serious are Cause for Concerns?? Are they as bad as they sound?

Posted from TSR Mobile
NEED SOME URGENT ADVICE

I'm on the Primary 5-11 route meaning Years 1-6. However, due to being unable to find placements in KS1 or KS2 my uni put me in Reception, which isn't covered in my age range.

My uni tutor came down today to observe and recommended I be put on Cause for Concern. I'm really flabbergasted by this as I think the uni has failed in it's duty - I paid for the 5-11 route and expect to be placed in classes that meet those age ranges.

I have to email the course leader and see what she says. But what do you think I can do?? And how serious are Cause for Concerns?? Are they as bad as they sound?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Basically, it means that if you continue as you are then you will fail the course. You should be put on an action plan and you will have to meet certain targets after by a certain point/time. You should be given a lot of support and guidance from now, so it may be a good thing :smile: Dont be too disheartened
Basically, it means that if you continue as you are then you will fail the course. You should be put on an action plan and you will have to meet certain targets after by a certain point/time. You should be given a lot of support and guidance from now, so it may be a good thing :smile: Dont be too disheartened

Am I within my rights to ask to be moved permanently to KS1 as that is where I should be? It really doesn't make sense to be failing the course in an age range not covered by my course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
NEED SOME URGENT ADVICE

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww sorry to hear that, however do not take it as a negative. As long as you are willing to show that you are trying your best all will be fine, they will support you. Your timetable might be reduced to help you ease In.

Remember some of the best trainees may be on a cause for concern, but do make it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply