The Student Room Group

illusionz' ICF blog

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Angry cucumber
Nothing like a crotch shot to enlighten my evening :tongue:

Now that you can't deadlift.. how about some chalk for your spare time... :wink:

Also you're missing core stuff out... :colonhash:

Do some planks or something in your bedroom, add weight with books etc if you dont have time!

On a better note, stop lifting, give me time to catch back up when I'm fixed and can out deadlift and squat you once more!

:biggrin:

I will buy some chalk. I promise!

Yeah I know I keep missing core stuff as no time. No excuse for not doing it at home... laziness!

And haha. Your upper body absolutely wrecks me though :tongue: legs are all I have.
Original post by illusionz
:biggrin:

I will buy some chalk. I promise!

Yeah I know I keep missing core stuff as no time. No excuse for not doing it at home... laziness!

And haha. Your upper body absolutely wrecks me though :tongue: legs are all I have.

Tbh you wont suffer too much atm with lack of core stuff but it'll bode you well for the future

I don't kick your arse too hard on press, but Dips and Bench press you are rather lacking in comparison :tongue: Your biceps are just as strong as mine though

Also.. if you dropped some of the curling - you'd have time for core stuff :wink:
Reply 122
Tbh you wont suffer too much atm with lack of core stuff but it'll bode you well for the future

I don't kick your arse too hard on press, but Dips and Bench press you are rather lacking in comparison :tongue: Your biceps are just as strong as mine though

Also.. if you dropped some of the curling - you'd have time for core stuff :wink:

Yeah I know. I guess it's the short term gain that you get from arm work and don't get from core work when you have a layer of fat over the abs. Even though a stronger core will help the compounds down the line and also general athletic performance (I play a lot of hockey). Need #motivation

Yeah my bench is rather poor. My army mate asked how the **** I'm benching under 70 when I can DL 155 for reps (and tbh could go higher - it's not that hard). Need to bro up. In my defence I've only been lifting with free weights since Jan.

Very true. Again comes down to motivations I guess. From an aesthetic point of view I don't see myself getting down to the bf range where abs become visible. Whereas all bros want big arms lol. I know I should do more core work, and I have the time to do it at home on off days/after gym etc. Just need to actually do it (like I need to actually buy chalk haha)
(edited 10 years ago)
Yeah I know. I guess it's the short term gain that you get from arm work and don't get from core work when you have a layer of fat over the abs. Even though a stronger core will help the compounds down the line and also general athletic performance (I play a lot of hockey). Need #motivation

Yeah my bench is rather poor. My army mate asked how the **** I'm benching under 70 when I can DL 155 for reps (and tbh could go higher - it's not that hard). Need to bro up. In my defence I've only been lifting with free weights since Jan.

Very true. Again comes down to motivations I guess. From an aesthetic point of view I don't see myself getting down to the bf range where abs become visible. Whereas all bros want big arms lol. I know I should do more core work, and I have the time to do it at home on off days/after gym etc. Just need to actually do it (like I need to actually buy chalk haha)

I know all of your feels :tongue: I was doing a lot of running and I play other sports too, core work helped in mysterious ways lol. I also have very little motivation for losing enough body fat to be ripped :tongue:

Tbh we're very similar in experience and stats, I started in November properly (I mucked around as a bro again for a month following a marathon, I made 0 progress) I pulled my 135 PB in about a month of starting, but injury has stopped me progressing further :frown:

All bros want big arms, in my case I'm all tricep and so lacking in biceps :tongue:
Reply 124
I know all of your feels :tongue: I was doing a lot of running and I play other sports too, core work helped in mysterious ways lol. I also have very little motivation for losing enough body fat to be ripped :tongue:

Tbh we're very similar in experience and stats, I started in November properly (I mucked around as a bro again for a month following a marathon, I made 0 progress) I pulled my 135 PB in about a month of starting, but injury has stopped me progressing further :frown:

All bros want big arms, in my case I'm all tricep and so lacking in biceps :tongue:

Yeah I've noted you runnning a fair bit. I hate running for running's sake, but do enjoy some good ol' competitive cardio.

Didn't realise you'd only been lifting since Nov, you must have had a decent base of strength before. I'm hoping I'll get to the 85kg bench by the time summer is over. No idea if that's realistic or not - basically depends how long I can surf the noob gains wave.

Lastly you're doing it the right way tbh. Arm volume is more tricep. It's just that my biceps are behind my tris imo.
Yeah I've noted you runnning a fair bit. I hate running for running's sake, but do enjoy some good ol' competitive cardio.

Didn't realise you'd only been lifting since Nov, you must have had a decent base of strength before. I'm hoping I'll get to the 85kg bench by the time summer is over. No idea if that's realistic or not - basically depends how long I can surf the noob gains wave.

Lastly you're doing it the right way tbh. Arm volume is more tricep. It's just that my biceps are behind my tris imo.

You should surf the noob gains for a while yet, 85kg in about 2 months I'd think for 5x5 maybe faster. I was at a 70kg bench 2 months ago!
Reply 126
You should surf the noob gains for a while yet, 85kg in about 2 months I'd think for 5x5 maybe faster. I was at a 70kg bench 2 months ago!

If I could get a BWish 5x5 6 months after starting... well that would be way beyond what I'd even hoped for in Jan haha. Bring on the gainzzzz
You're progressing seriously fast, very impressive lifts for the time you've been lifting. (seriously, it took me nearly a year to reach that bench/ohp)
Are your squats beltless?
In to watch, want to see what you manage to get out of the rest of your noob gains.
Reply 128
Original post by Appeal to reason
You're progressing seriously fast, very impressive lifts for the time you've been lifting. (seriously, it took me nearly a year to reach that bench/ohp)
Are your squats beltless?
In to watch, want to see what you manage to get out of the rest of your noob gains.

Cheers :smile: Sadly the squats don't really count. I'm forced to do them on a smith machine as no power rack and can't even do DB split squats as they only go up to 30kg. Maxed them out first time I tried single leg split squats :frown:

Seriously considering getting a new gym that's gonna have to be a serious trek away as now I've outgrown the premade barbells for OHP I'm using the only barbell in the gym for like 45 mins. Which is annoying for everyone else and also me if I can't get on the only barbell! The problem is all the gyms around me are the **** leisure centre type which don't have power racks.

On the bright side moving to London end of the summer when I start a grad scheme so will be able to join a proper gym there as know a few mates already lifting there near my work.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 129
[video="youtube;8CPlF-IEkXQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CPlF-IEkXQ[/video]

Squat
50, 70, 90 x5
122.5 5x5 PB Hard as ****. Almost gave up at 3x5.

Bench
20x10, 40, 50 x5 60x3
70 5x5 PB Yeah buddy. BW bench I'm coming for you.

Row
60x5
70 5x5 PB

Shrugs
80 3x8 PB

Skullcrushers
EZ bar + 22.5 9, 8, 8

Biceps
35kg bar curls 3x8 PB

Cable crunches 73kg 3x15
supersetted with BW chins
3x5
Strong curl brah
Reply 131
Went on rugby tour for 5 days. Drank a ****load, ate a ****load but didn't think I'd be lifting well as soo sleep deprived (and the little I did get was definetely alcohol induced). Also managed to come home with a bald back of the head. Fun times.

Anyway, first session in a week so took the squats steady, no increase.

Squats 122.5 5x5. Easy. Went for increases for other things as a result.

Deadlift worked up to 157.5 x5 PB

OHP 47.5 5x5 PB

Row -10% 65 5x5

Dips + 7kg 7, 8, 8. PB
First set was only a 7 as didn't wait long enough from finishing OHP. Got 8s on the other 2 sets so increase to 8kg next time.

Bicep brah
35kg 3x8
14kg incline curls 8, 8, 7

misc ab stuff.

I swear every time I have a booze fuelled break I come back and get PBs. Must be the combinaton of resting muscles and consuming about 6000 calories a day.
Also, your biceps are very strong.

35kg?

are you going all the way and right the way back up?

and do you rock your bottom for some momentum?
Reply 133
Original post by tehforum
Also, your biceps are very strong.

35kg?

are you going all the way and right the way back up?

and do you rock your bottom for some momentum?

Full rom. First few reps of each set good form, last few 'cheat' a tad with leaning etc But then the consensus seems to be that it's better to cheat a couple of reps at the end than stop as soon as the strict form can't do another. Plus the incline curls after are strict. tbh though they're not a movement which I'm fussed about weight on. I just want to stimulate the muscle. The compounds are the ones where weight means something.
(edited 10 years ago)
Full rom. First few reps of each set good form, last few 'cheat' a tad with leaning etc But then the consensus seems to be that it's better to cheat a couple of reps at the end than stop as soon as the strict form can't do another. Plus the incline curls after are strict. tbh though they're not a movement which I'm fussed about weight on. I just want to stimulate the muscle. The compounds are the ones where weight means something.

Damn, that's a mad curl tbh.

How big are they?
Reply 135
Damn, that's a mad curl tbh.

How big are they?

It's strange. My left arm is about half an inch bigger than my right but is the weaker one. Cold, flexed left arm is 14in, right is 13.5in. Yet on the DB curls left arm ALWAYS fails first, and left arm always feels more sore post workout. Confusing.

Because of the nature of the way I train (also rest a bit too long between the isolation sets), I think I've gotten a lot stronger without getting a huge amount bigger.

Also remember that I weigh 87.5kg so it's not actually that impressive
(edited 10 years ago)
It's strange. My left arm is about half an inch bigger than my right but is the weaker one. Cold, flexed left arm is 14in, right is 13.5in. Yet on the DB curls left arm ALWAYS fails first, and left arm always feels more sore post workout. Confusing.

Because of the nature of the way I train (also rest a bit too long between the isolation sets), I think I've gotten a lot stronger without getting a huge amount bigger.

Also remember that I weigh 87.5kg so it's not actually that impressive

Are you sure they're 14inch flexed? Are you measuring with your forearm and your upperarm in an L shape?

I would've thought they'd be bigger.
Reply 137
Are you sure they're 14inch flexed? Are you measuring with your forearm and your upperarm in an L shape?

I would've thought they'd be bigger.

Last time I did a cold measurement they were. I'm still a bit pumped now so can't test. Will try to remember tomorrow.
Last time I did a cold measurement they were. I'm still a bit pumped now so can't test. Will try to remember tomorrow.

Just measured mine.

Cold left - 14 and a quarter inches
Cold right - 14 inches

flexed.
Reply 139
Just measured mine.

Cold left - 14 and a quarter inches
Cold right - 14 inches

flexed.

lols, just did measurement now (1.5hours after gym). Left is 14.5, right is 13.7in.

thigh is 26in and calf is 16in

Yes, my upper body is small.

Quick Reply

Latest