The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Guys, I want to put my student loan to good use and so, I thought of anime. =D

Now, I only own 2 home media copies of anime on DVD/Blu Ray while the rest have been downloaded. Need some ideas.

Only animes I have on DVD/Blu Ray:

Death Note - DVD Format
FMAB - Blu-Ray Format

Need more...
Have been considering getting the OVAs/Films of FMA/FMAB
Also, been considering getting the Blue Exorcist series and movie. =l

Any others?

EDIT:
Would get Fairy Tail but collection 2 isn't released yet on Blu-Ray in the UK yet... (will be released in June and so, will likely get sometime in September when I start my second year at uni)
(edited 10 years ago)
Watched the first episode of Basquash and it was absolute garbage :lol: Essentially cars on stilts playing basketball that isn't anything like basketball.
Reply 6602
Original post by Scienceisgood
Guys, I want to put my student loan to good use and so, I thought of anime. =D

I think that the Kara no Kyoukai or 'Garden of Sinners' series is well worth owning. That said I see on amazon that the box set is like £400 or £2000 and it's at least £30 per movie so, you know... anime is way overpriced and don't bother!
Original post by MJasper
I think that the Kara no Kyoukai or 'Garden of Sinners' series is well worth owning. That said I see on amazon that the box set is like £400 or £2000 and it's at least £30 per movie so, you know... anime is way overpriced and don't bother!

Is that even licensed in the UK? The only box sets I saw on Amazon were French, or the original Japanese releases. :confused:
Original post by MJasper

Anime or rent? :confused:
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Is that even licensed in the UK? The only box sets I saw on Amazon were French, or the original Japanese releases. :confused:

As I have said before, sub or dub doesn't bother me so long as the dub isn't crap (some of which I have had the displeasure of hearing and it completely destroying the sub...) and so long as it plays in the UK on Blu-Ray if it is available (given Japan is Region A and the UK is Region B), it doesn't really bother me all that much. =l
As I have said before, sub or dub doesn't bother me so long as the dub isn't crap (some of which I have had the displeasure of hearing and it completely destroying the sub...) and so long as it plays in the UK on Blu-Ray if it is available (given Japan is Region A and the UK is Region B), it doesn't really bother me all that much. =l

As far as I can see, Kara no Kyoukai is not available in English, subbed or dubbed, on Region B blu-ray. :dontknow:
Most anticipated animes of 2014 guys?
Sorry if this is the wrong place for this, but I was wondering if anyone could provide any recommendations?

I haven't seen that many granted, but series that I've watched in their entirety and enjoyed include:
Fate/Zero
Fate Stay Night
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Genshiken
Hellsing
Kara no Kyoukai
Neon Genesis Evangelion, including all the movies and the re-build reboot
Paranoia Agent
Psycho Pass
Puella Magi Madoka Magica (really not into the whole 'magical girl' thing, but Madoka was anything but your stereotypical magical girl anime).
Steins Gate (what I'm currently watching, it's blummin' brilliant!)

Anime that I tried to watch, but really couldn't get into:
Bleach (or any Shoenen that spans over 100 episodes)
Code Geass
Death Note
Ghost in the Shell
Gurren Lagann
Lain
Trigun
An anime, whose name escapes me, but featured a big breasted ginger demon lady in a middle earth type setting who sought to bring world peace through vegetable trading. Nobody had a proper name, they were just called 'warrior' or 'scholar' etc. Maoyu!? Granted, I had very little idea what it was about, even 12 episodes into it.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated! :biggrin:
Original post by El Nombre
X

Anime recommendations:

Black Butler - I personally didn't like the first episode but the second episode is a lot better.
Sword Art Online
Attack on Titan (Not yet had its dub released if your a dub only person)
Blue Exorcist
Is This A Zomibe?
Soul Eater

This one may be a bit of a stretch but - the Higurashi series I found to be awesome crime detective series. Don't let the art put you off, this is a very dark series.

Just to name a few.
(edited 10 years ago)
Sorry if this is the wrong place for this, but I was wondering if anyone could provide any recommendations?

This is the correct thread, don't worry. :smile: Based on what you've said you liked/didn't like, I'd recommend the following:

Mirai Nikki

Shin Sekai Yori

Gatchaman Crowds

Now and Then, Here and There

Bokurano

And by the way, the 'big breasted ginger demon lady' series you referred to would be Maoyuu Maoh Yuusha. :p:

And by the way, the 'big breasted ginger demon lady' series you referred to would be Maoyuu Maoh Yuusha. :p:

Haha, that's the one! Visually it was pretty, but I found the characters a little bland (the naming conventions didn't help). And the constant swooning over that 'Hero' fella was just plain annoying. The attempts at humour, especially the boob jokes, fell flat for me. :ahee:

Cheers for the suggestions guys! I've got 10 episodes of Steins; Gate left to watch, but once I've finished I think I'll be looking into Shin Sekai Yori, Mirai Nikki & Attack on Titan!

Now and Then also looks promising. I'm a sucker for dystopian futures...

Oh, and I don't mind if there's no English dub. I watch all my anime subbed/fan subbed anyway.
Haha, that's the one! Visually it was pretty, but I found the characters a little bland (the naming conventions didn't help). And the constant swooning over that 'Hero' fella was just plain annoying. The attempts at humour, especially the boob jokes, fell flat for me. :ahee:

I fully agree with you there, I couldn't get into it at all. Just felt like a hollow imitation of Spice & Wolf, with boob jokes instead of witty banter.
Reply 6614

1. Mushishi
2. Jojo
3. Sailor Moon
I fully agree with you there, I couldn't get into it at all. Just felt like a hollow imitation of Spice & Wolf, with boob jokes instead of witty banter.

I really want another season of Spice and wolf :frown:
Reply 6616

1. Gundam Unicorn 7
2. the new Jojo's
3. The new Sailor Moon
Reply 6617
Second season of Durarara!! announced this morning.....I am beside myself with excitement!!! :woo:
I've been waiting so long for this! XD

[video="youtube;HQJ34jAQKrI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQJ34jAQKrI[/video]

Don't really like Erza or Lucy's look but everything else looks AWESOME! :biggrin:
finished rewatching GTO :cry2: defo one of my fave shows of all time :adore: felt more satisfied with the ending the 2nd time round :hmmmm: argh want more maybe i'll finally get round to reading the manga which i stalled on after the first volume like 5 years ago :tongue: :woo:
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest