The Student Room Group

Mispronounciations

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Future-doc
so my teacher pronounces the c in pacinian corpusCle... she doent realise its meanna rhyme with muscle!!!!!lol

That reminds me! My lecturer for a module I took before Christmas kept pronouncing the "p" in neuropsychology!
Original post by Telecaster Steak
That reminds me! My lecturer for a module I took before Christmas kept pronouncing the "p" in neuropsychology!

doesnt it make u feel smart when u know better than the teacher????
Reply 42
Original post by Flauta
I used to say capabilities wrong, said it as ca not kay.

Hate it when people pronounce my last name wrong, happens all the time. Some freak even tried to tell me I was saying it wrong :mad2:
Out of interest, what is your last name? Mine is Tuson (kind of like two's on, but with a hard 'S,' not a 'Z' sound), but nobody I have ever known has ever pronounced it correctly. I'm working on some music at the moment, and if I ever publish it, it's going to be using another old family name: Wash.

Original post by 2710
Wrath. Ive always pronounced it raarth.

Aparently its a short 'a' sound.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This annoys me a lot, especially as I'm a server in a Anglican church and the word is used in one of the prayers in the 1662 Common Prayer liturgy. People here pronounce it the same the same as 'wroth,' but they're two different words.

Original post by Manitude
It rhymes with "moth" not "math" in the UK, just so you know.
No it doesn't. 'Wrath' has a short 'A' (or a broad one, but never an 'O' - I personally pronounce it with a short 'A' sound but sustained for a moment) and means anger (people mispronouncing it provokes my wrath); 'wroth' has a short 'O' and means angry (people mispronouncing it makes me wroth).

Some common words that I know of include 'waistcoat' (wess-kit) and 'falcon' (for kin, without a rhotic sound on the 'R').

[offtopic]Not totally relevant, but another one that gets me at church is people pronouncing 'Jesu' as 'jeeze you' when it's 'yes-oo.' [/offtopic]
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 43
I mostly mispronounce the names of places.
I thought Derby was pronounced how it's spelled until someone kindly pointed out that it's actually pronounced 'Darby'. Same with Clerkenwell. It's Clarkenwell really.

The things I hate and here the most are these:

pacifically instead of specifically

arks instead of ask

perscription instead of perscription

generally when what they really mean is genuinely

(edited 10 years ago)
either
How do you pronounce it?!
i say it as (ee-ther)
Reply 45
Original post by Tootles
Out of interest, what is your last name? Mine is Tuson (kind of like two's on, but with a hard 'S,' not a 'Z' sound), but nobody I have ever known has ever pronounced it correctly. I'm working on some music at the moment, and if I ever publish it, it's going to be using another old family name: Wash.

Never heard that last name before, it gets so annoying right? Mine is McKeown, similar to you I've yet to meet anyone who can pronounce or even spell it correctly, they usually end up saying either McEwan or saying something really weird that rhymes with clown :laugh:
Original post by mxliss

The things I hate and here the most are these:

perscription instead of perscription

Think you made a mistake

Posted from TSR Mobile
According to http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2577432/More-80-cent-British-people-speak-properly-Most-commonly-mispronounced-words-include-espresso-prescription-women-worst.html the most frequently mispronounced words are:

1. Ely Mispronounced by 59% of people EE-lee NOT Ee-Lie

2. Keighley (West Yorkshire town) 40% keith-lee NOT ki-lee or kay-lee

3. Sherbet 40% shur-but NOT sher-burt

4. Et cetera 34% et-set-ter-eh NOT ecc-set-ter-eh

5. St Pancras 33% Saint Pan-krass NOT Saint Pan-kree-ass

6. Espresso 26% ess-press-oh NOT ex-press-oh

7. Bruschetta 25% Brew-sket-a to be truly Italian NOT Brew-shet-a

8. Often 24% (traditionally offen, although off-ten has become increasingly common in the UK)

9. Prescription 21% Pruh-skrip-shun NOT per-skrip-shun or pro-skrip-shun

10. Greenwich 16% Gren-itch NOT Green-witch or Green-itch

Exotic foods also appear to pose a problem for many people (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2237234/Tzatziki-Millions-Britons-struggle-pronounce-names-exotic-dishes-delicacies.html)
Original post by 2710
Wrath. Ive always pronounced it raarth.

Aparently its a short 'a' sound.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's actually 'roth', if you're from south-east England.
Reply 49
Original post by Flauta
Never heard that last name before, it gets so annoying right? Mine is McKeown, similar to you I've yet to meet anyone who can pronounce or even spell it correctly, they usually end up saying either McEwan or saying something really weird that rhymes with clown :laugh:
It's Hebrew, I believe. Our family were originally a family of Jews from Denmark who wound up in Normandy, later coming to England to join in a minor skirmish Down South about a thousand years ago...

To be fair, I knew someone at college with your name (I think) who pronounced it the same as McEwan. He said it was the Irish spelling. Though I may well be misremembering.
If you're gonna be really picky, there's a lot more to keep everyone busy:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/mar/11/pronunciation-errors-english-language
Reply 51
Original post by Tootles
No it doesn't. 'Wrath' has a short 'A' (or a broad one, but never an 'O' - I personally pronounce it with a short 'A' sound but sustained for a moment) and means anger (people mispronouncing it provokes my wrath); 'wroth' has a short 'O' and means angry (people mispronouncing it makes me wroth).

Sorry, but no:
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/wrath?q=wrath
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/wrath#
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil

4. Et cetera 34% et-set-ter-eh NOT ecc-set-ter-eh

I normally pronounce that in the Latin way (ey set era) just to be awkward. Same with other Latin words or terms.

Vowel shifts across dialects aren't going to convince me, especially when there is no short 'A' sound in many Southern dialects. In such dialects, more broad vowel sounds will be more common, of course.

Another word I've just remembered (another old one) is 'troth,' which I believe is little more than an archaic spelling of 'truth.'
Original post by moonriver96
either
How do you pronounce it?!
i say it as (ee-ther)

I tend to base its pronunciation off the rest of the sentence, whichever way sounds best.
Same goes for words like "economic" ("ek" or "eek") and "the".

I don't know if there's a definite correct way to say it.
Original post by Milf_Hunter
My mum used to mispronounce my name all the time....well I guess "Useless, pathetic good-for-nothing mistake" is very similar to Jonah

is that why you chose your username?
I used to think Sinead was said sin-ee-add until someone told me it was shin-aid
Reply 56
Original post by furryface12
Ahh ok, I was assuming you were the other way! Actually, I'd say that outside of the town itself most people say it our way, and those in the rest of the country with no connections definitely read it like that :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I went to college with a lot of people from North Wales and it annoyed me so much that they didn't say it our way (*cough* the correct way).

Sometimes I feel bad for correcting people because I'm probably outnumbered by how many say 'Shrowsbury', but nobody will convince me that it's the right one :tongue:
Reply 57
Original post by TattyBoJangles
I'm curious as well, now.

I would say it as Shrowsbury. (Sh-rows-bree)

*hides*

Why do you feel the need to change the 'e' to an 'o'?

The word shrew (like a small mouse) - how do you pronounce that?
Original post by ryan9900
Why do you feel the need to change the 'e' to an 'o'?

The word shrew (like a small mouse) - how do you pronounce that?

:dontknow:

As it's spelt. I know it doesn't make sense. Shrews-bury just doesn't sound right to me :tongue:
Reply 59
Original post by TattyBoJangles
:dontknow:

As it's spelt. I know it doesn't make sense. Shrews-bury just doesn't sound right to me :tongue:

Don't worry, you're definitely not the only one haha :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest