The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ameelia22
Oh ta very much. I'm still working as a HCA too but I can't decide when is the right time to stop. I'm kinda thinking it may be wouldn't be such a bad idea if I did work throughout summer because it's what, 3/4 days a week max and the money could be super handy? On the other hand, if they stick me on 3 nights / week - i'd resign asap lol I want to go abroad too, but I'm sort of purposefully not making any plans (that's what I tell myself anyway, it's actually pure laziness) and sort of just want to get 2k together, spend 1k on flights wherever, and 1k on staying there for as long as possible (like a month?) but haven't really thought of any of this through properly. It's more of a: it's-a-gap-yah-I-better-damn-well-go-someplace-new mainly because I've never really been abroad if you discount a school trip to Italy.

Can I have some thoughts on some casual blackmail please?
I'm thinking of saying to my line manager, that as long as she keeps me on day shifts, I'll stay as long as I can / majority of summer. If she puts me on more than 1 week of nights / month, I'll resign by the end of May. Is this out of line?

You're obviously struggling with nights, so why not tell her that? You're being honest in that you can't really handle them well, so being on days you feel you can work much better and more efficiently. :biggrin:
Are you bank or part time/full time?
Original post by PocketMerlin
You're obviously struggling with nights, so why not tell her that? You're being honest in that you can't really handle them well, so being on days you feel you can work much better and more efficiently. :biggrin:
Are you bank or part time/full time?

I've told them that, but obviously 'it's all part of the job' and everyone has to do them.

Full-time.
Is anyone here working as a porter?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4103
Hey abybody know how you apply to be on bank? Thaaanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hl7495

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nhs jobs or vacancies listed on hospital website. Or contact hr directly and ask for application

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by robrob9595
Is anyone here working as a porter?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am. :smile:
Original post by ameelia22
I've told them that, but obviously 'it's all part of the job' and everyone has to do them.

Full-time.

Ah, I see. :s-smilie: The only problem with saying 'if you don't take me off nights then I'll leave ASAP' is that she could easily just fire you on the spot. She may also choose not to give you a reference for any further jobs you may wish to get part-time, or may give a really awful one. If she doesn't fire you, she could just make things really bad for you whilst you're still there.

It's really tricky, because obviously you don't want to be a nurse/HCA for life so there's no motivation to pull ridiculous amounts of night shifts, but if you're worried about income for the time being then there is no better option. Have you considered getting another job if they continue to put you on nights?
Reply 4107
Original post by hl7495

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing this now. If you are working as an NA at the moment then it is easy. If you have just left your post then, in my trust at least, you have a six week window where you can apply to go onto the bank without having to reapply for a new post. I am joining today as a matter of fact at 1300 - there are a TONNE of forms to fill out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4108
Original post by Hugby1
I'm doing this now. If you are working as an NA at the moment then it is easy. If you have just left your post then, in my trust at least, you have a six week window where you can apply to go onto the bank without having to reapply for a new post. I am joining today as a matter of fact at 1300 - there are a TONNE of forms to fill out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck! I have volunteered for over a yesr and after doing 50 hrs we can apply to go on bank in my trust i must have around 100 so i was wondering how you apply its a useful option to have whilst at uni!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PocketMerlin
I am. :smile:

Nice, I'm thinking of applying for a porter post. Do they have like a zero hours contract available or is it all full time? Just thinking of coming back for work in the holidays etc thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4110
YES!! ... gap-year paid off, finally got an offer!!!! :biggrin:
Original post by tdx

Congrats!! :biggrin:
What uni?
It was all worth it! I got an offer from Manchester today!!! :biggrin:
How I ABHOR night shifts. (Especially if I'm assigned to an aggressive patient(s) ). This is my third one in a week. I might join the bank as well.

In a more positive light, congratulations SusieShire and tdx! :party:
Reply 4114
W00t!! Pay rise. I officially earn £9//hr on the bank and a cheeky £15/hr on Sundays. Late shift on Sundays during uni - I think so!! Spending money - sorted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hugby1
W00t!! Pay rise. I officially earn £9//hr on the bank and a cheeky £15/hr on Sundays. Late shift on Sundays during uni - I think so!! Spending money - sorted.

Posted from TSR Mobile

WOW that's Awesome!

Where do you work and what do you do?
Original post by tdx

Original post by SusieShire
It was all worth it! I got an offer from Manchester today!!! :biggrin:

Aww congrats :woo: Glad it all worked out for you :biggrin:
Reply 4117
Original post by tdx

Wooohooo party tome where you firming :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
This thread has definately shone a bright light on reapplying, nearly all of us have got in! love it!

In other news my all black stethoscope arrived today, I just couldn't resist ordering it now!
Reply 4119
appears my gap year was worth it! i got an offer from bristol today :smile: i honestly thought id failed my interview so am still in shock

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending