The Student Room Group

UCL postgrad applicants 2014-2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by redferry
AH HAVE YOU APPLIED FOR CONSERVATION AND BIODIVERSITY AT LEEDS???

That was my masters!!!! Could not recommend it enough. Seriously.
I did the MREs rather than MSci though.

Love Leeds, great city and great Uni!

My area is, well, conservation and biodiversity :tongue: but I'm hoping to bring in politics and economics into my PhD

YES! Wow, small world! Politics and socio-economic factors are what I'm interested in too which is why i applied to ucl.. They do modules in those sorts of things! Ahhhh, you might be getting some messages from me over the next couple of weeks about the course then haha
Original post by Mmmwehh
YES! Wow, small world! Politics and socio-economic factors are what I'm interested in too which is why i applied to ucl.. They do modules in those sorts of things! Ahhhh, you might be getting some messages from me over the next couple of weeks about the course then haha

Well there's definitely scope for that on your project at Leeds too :smile: if that helps. I don't know how you are for money but I turned Imperial down to go to Leeds because of living costs.

Don't regret it at all!

What/where was your undergraduate??

Yeah feel free to message away whenever!
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm cautiously peeking in this thread.. Soo nervous about applying...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 223
Hi!

I just applied to the school of Public Policy. Where can I find my application status and the status of my referees? Apparently there is nothing on Portico :/
Reply 224
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site, found it while looking for some info regarding UCL's average response times to graduate applications. I finished my application to the Energy PhD programme last week, and now I'm patiently waiting for an answer. Thing is, I'm on a bit of a tight agenda, because I would need an answer by April 16th at most, in order to apply for a scholarship here in my country (Chile). However, I figure the number of applicants for PhD programmes is quite short when compared to applicants for MSc/MRes/MPhil programmes, hence making the application process a bit faster (fingers crossed, I hope to be right!).

So, I was wondering, is there anyone who could tell me, based on your own experience, how long does it usually take to get an answer for a PhD application?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Nicolas
Original post by nicob87
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site, found it while looking for some info regarding UCL's average response times to graduate applications. I finished my application to the Energy PhD programme last week, and now I'm patiently waiting for an answer. Thing is, I'm on a bit of a tight agenda, because I would need an answer by April 16th at most, in order to apply for a scholarship here in my country (Chile). However, I figure the number of applicants for PhD programmes is quite short when compared to applicants for MSc/MRes/MPhil programmes, hence making the application process a bit faster (fingers crossed, I hope to be right!).

So, I was wondering, is there anyone who could tell me, based on your own experience, how long does it usually take to get an answer for a PhD application?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Nicolas

With my PhD it was about 2 weeks before I got the interview and then 5 days before I was offered the place. But because of my funding being different it may well work differently for you!
Reply 226
With my PhD it was about 2 weeks before I got the interview and then 5 days before I was offered the place. But because of my funding being different it may well work differently for you!

Thanks a lot redferry! Hopefully it'll be something around that for me as well, that'd be perfect timing for my scholarship deadline.

On a different matter, I've read that it is quite difficult to find accomodation in London as a graduate student. Is it possible to live anywhere close to UCL on USD 2000 a month (about 1200 pounds)?
Reply 227
Original post by nicob87
Thanks a lot redferry! Hopefully it'll be something around that for me as well, that'd be perfect timing for my scholarship deadline.

On a different matter, I've read that it is quite difficult to find accomodation in London as a graduate student. Is it possible to live anywhere close to UCL on USD 2000 a month (about 1200 pounds)?

Absolutely but you'll be looking at flatshares which range between £400 (if you're lucky) to £650 for a room! And that room may not be a double haha :eek:

Btw did you mean 1200 for rent or 1200 as a monthly budget?
Original post by nicob87

Yeah its possible, you should be able to rent for about 500 a month. I'll be on about that much too so hopefully!!

A lot of people have told me cycling really helps cut costs, but unfortunately I can't ride a bike!!!

Living further out is generally cheaper but then the tube costs more. If. You live near the uni food costs are also likely to be more as there aren't really any big supermarkets around there. So its good to find a balance!
Original post by nunugab
Absolutely but you'll be looking at flatshares which range between £400 (if you're lucky) to £650 for a room! And that room may not be a double haha :eek:

Btw did you mean 1200 for rent or 1200 as a monthly budget?

It'll be for everything - PhD London salary is 15700 per year normally
Reply 230
Original post by nicob87

I think you should be fine with £1200. I graduated last year from UCL and lived the two last years in flatshare with friends close to UCL, 10-15 min walk (first next to Brunswick and then British Library). I paid 700-800 in rent, but you should be able to find something for about 500-600 in the same area. In addition you have to add about 40-70 for water, gas electricity and Wifi.

My first year I stayed in International Hall, a University of London hall, and the top floor there was reserved for graduate students so that could be an option. University of London has a housing service and you may find something there, at least you will find some useful info about finding a place and help to check contract terms etc.. I have friends that have found room in flatshare close to UCL through this service.

http://housing.london.ac.uk/cms/

We used private real estates, there are many of them in the area. If you find a placee in July rather than May/June or Aug/Sept you probably get a better deal. The flathunt in London is a nightmare :s-smilie:

Good luck :smile:
Reply 231
Thanks a lot guys. It is indeed a monthly budget, as in for everything. At first I was hoping to be able to save a little money for travelling, because I'd love to travel all around europe, but I'm starting to doubt if I'll be able to do that now. I will have around 12.000 pounds from savings destined for that item, so I'll do it anyways :wink:

Any areas in London I should avoid when looking for a place to stay?
Original post by nicob87
Thanks a lot guys. It is indeed a monthly budget, as in for everything. At first I was hoping to be able to save a little money for travelling, because I'd love to travel all around europe, but I'm starting to doubt if I'll be able to do that now. I will have around 12.000 pounds from savings destined for that item, so I'll do it anyways :wink:

I don't know but if you find any good ones I'm looking for somewhere in September and appreciate any advice as well lol (never lived in London myself)
Reply 233
I don't know but if you find any good ones I'm looking for somewhere in September and appreciate any advice as well lol (never lived in London myself)

I've only been to London once, I was there for a week and stayed in Paddington. If I get an offer then I'll start looking and I'll keep you posted :wink:
Original post by nicob87
I've only been to London once, I was there for a week and stayed in Paddington. If I get an offer then I'll start looking and I'll keep you posted :wink:

Thanks! Good luck!
Reply 235
By the way, did anyone here apply for the Energy PhD programme, or any of the masters related to Energy? That's my field of research, and it'd be awesome to meet anyone with interest in energy as well! :biggrin:
Original post by nicob87
By the way, did anyone here apply for the Energy PhD programme, or any of the masters related to Energy? That's my field of research, and it'd be awesome to meet anyone with interest in energy as well! :biggrin:

I'm on the Environment PhD - so really interested in sustainability and conservation but not directly energy I'm afraid :frown:
Reply 237
Original post by nicob87

I assume you're american? If so, London is much safer than most American cities! Just as with any big city be streetwise and that goes for everywhere, even in central London!
Original post by nunugab
I assume you're american? If so, London is much safer than most American cities! Just as with any big city be streetwise and that goes for everywhere, even in central London!

He's from Chile :smile:
Reply 239
Original post by nunugab

Yup, representing Chile here!

Thats' s right next to Argentina, in Latin America, in case anyone was wondering...:tongue:

I've been to London before, and even though it is A LOT safer than south america, I guess you never can tell

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending