The Student Room Group

Will I still be able to do Dentistry or Medicine

Hi I did triple science at GCSE and got BBB and an A in maths. overall 4As 3Bs 4Cs. For a-level I chose to do Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Business studies. I had in mind a career in Business or engineering which seemed to go in line with my subjects, but now i want to train to be a dentist and use my business and science knowledge to start my own firm. Im currently predicted an A in business and Maths and C in chem and B in physics. All my grade have improved in the past 2 months from being predicted 2Cs, a D and E. now im wondering if ill still be able to do dentistry or medicine (preferably dentist) with the subjects and grades i have, and what i would need to carry on with at A2?
i don't think all unis require biology for medicine/dentistry (i could be wrong, so it's better to look up entry requirements for individual unis on their websites) though the majority of applicants will. instead i think they ask for some number science subjects or something at a2.

if i were you though, if i was seriously considering dentistry/medicine then try and secure work experience for the summer now by contacting places and also start volunteering at a care home or something similar that shows compassion since they like long term commitments. it won't be an easy ride though so you should plan ahead early (loads of my friends are currently applying for medicine/dentistry, and it's a tough process). other than work experience you should probably just focus on nailing your as levels because on results day you'll get a much better idea of where you stand.

edit: i just saw this http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/dentistry_entry_requirements
seems like they all want biology at least to AS level?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Firstly to point out, medical and dentistry schools are extremely tough to get into! As a result, high grades are pretty much expected. However not entirelyyyyy impossible, but there may be some extremely large obstacles.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/dentistry_entry_requirements

Look at the entry reqs of the nifty table by some TSR dudes. Theres an external exam that you may need to organise after the exams called the UKCat which is basically some logical and reasoning tests. If you can get a good result in that, then who knows....

FYI: Work experience is pretty much mandatory. So try organise a couple of placements (even 1 dentristry and at an OAP home will be very helpful!) after exams / during summer if you intend on doing dentistry.

Good luck dude!

Original post by rcdasilva
Hi I did triple science at GCSE and got BBB and an A in maths. overall 4As 3Bs 4Cs. For a-level I chose to do Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Business studies. I had in mind a career in Business or engineering which seemed to go in line with my subjects, but now i want to train to be a dentist and use my business and science knowledge to start my own firm. Im currently predicted an A in business and Maths and C in chem and B in physics. All my grade have improved in the past 2 months from being predicted 2Cs, a D and E. now im wondering if ill still be able to do dentistry or medicine (preferably dentist) with the subjects and grades i have, and what i would need to carry on with at A2?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
I looked at TSR requirements table and all I see is chem, bio and 1 other. the grades look tight but at the moment i might be able to scrape the mark. ive done a few placements too including working at a pharmacy to boost my chances. the uni website idea might work out ill have a look at that too

thanks guys
Original post by rcdasilva

I'm sorry, but you have practically no chance. Medicine and Dentistry are two of the most competitive subjects in existence where most applicants will be predicted straight As and will achieve them with ease. You've got a C in the most relevant subject. Not taking biology is definitely a problem but to be quite honest, with those grades it's irrelevant. You may need to adjust your ambitions or think about retaking the year.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest