The Student Room Group

How are you all revising AS sociology?

I started like 2 months late but seem to have caught up now. Just wondering how everyone revises for Sociology since theres the theories to remember. I'm making short notes on big paper to put on my wall, audio revision, flash cards, and will do past papers. I got a C in my Sociology mock.

Scroll to see replies

im making mind map posters!! they help me recap.
i have already gotten scly1 revision notes from get revising it seems to help!
Reply 2
I started revising last week! I got told from mates that I'm revising a bit too early. But, I guess not.

I've gotten notes from various different places such as mates from previous years, the internet, textbooks, and my own written notes.

I've shortened the notes and made realistic targets. I'm going to be spending my free lessons in college working on my English coursework, but once that's complete, I should be working towards revising for Sociology in my free lessons.

I believe Sociology is the subject that will cause me the most issues in terms of revising.

Do you guys have any recommendations?
Original post by iJess
I started like 2 months late but seem to have caught up now. Just wondering how everyone revises for Sociology since theres the theories to remember. I'm making short notes on big paper to put on my wall, audio revision, flash cards, and will do past papers. I got a C in my Sociology mock.

Well I'm revising for A2 but thought I could share. I'm just writing out essays to all the different topics/chapters and then going on to write essays on the exam questions. Get in the swing of things :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by FutureMedic1009
Well I'm revising for A2 but thought I could share. I'm just writing out essays to all the different topics/chapters and then going on to write essays on the exam questions. Get in the swing of things :smile:

Thanks think I'm going to do this I made audio notes and got given all of the sociology past papers today
Original post by iJess
Thanks think I'm going to do this I made audio notes and got given all of the sociology past papers today

That's good to hear. I need to start doing all the past paper questions myself actually.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6

Ah, how do you make your essays? Do you plan them or write it out fully like in an exam? Also how many essays do you make per topic?
Reply 7
Tbh, sociology is just about memorising theories, opinions, statistics etc.... There's not much application involved like other A levels.
Make notes on all topics, then find exam questions that are related to each topic. Answer it and tell someone else (teacher, parent, friend) to mark it.
Reply 8
Original post by Alysha_
Tbh, sociology is just about memorising theories, opinions, statistics etc.... There's not much application involved like other A levels.
Make notes on all topics, then find exam questions that are related to each topic. Answer it and tell someone else (teacher, parent, friend) to mark it.

When you say topics, do you mean topics like 'Couples', 'Demography' etc or do you mean the subtopics related to the above e.g for couples - Domestic Labour/Violence, Division of Labour etc.

Sorry if that didn't make sense :confused:
Reply 9
Original post by Alysha_

this is what i am doing

people always say ''you can use somebody else's notes or find some online'' but it helps me when i write facts down in my handwriting and understand what i am writing, then by may i can just try my best to memorise what i have written like a script and do past papers!
Original post by Sufiyan
Ah, how do you make your essays? Do you plan them or write it out fully like in an exam? Also how many essays do you make per topic?

I give them to my teacher to mark. I try to write them like in exam conditions, and I've been writing 1 essay per topic.
Reply 11
I give them to my teacher to mark. I try to write them like in exam conditions, and I've been writing 1 essay per topic.

Do you get the questions from past papers and work on that or?...
Original post by Sufiyan
Do you get the questions from past papers and work on that or?...

Yeah I'm gonna start getting them from past papers now, I've been doing essays for each topic. I just recall information better that way.
Reply 13
Original post by Sufiyan
When you say topics, do you mean topics like 'Couples', 'Demography' etc or do you mean the subtopics related to the above e.g for couples - Domestic Labour/Violence, Division of Labour etc.

Sorry if that didn't make sense :confused:

Subtopics
Reply 14
Original post by xxvine
this is what i am doing

people always say ''you can use somebody else's notes or find some online'' but it helps me when i write facts down in my handwriting and understand what i am writing, then by may i can just try my best to memorise what i have written like a script and do past papers!

Yes, that's the best way to revise for sociology.
I have my exam in a few days and I literally don't remember anything, also I struggle so much with writing essays.
Say there was an essay on functionalists impact on families how would I write it?
I'd want to write it like this:
-Introduction
-Functionalist paragraph, Murdock, Parsons, Morgan. try to criticise using conflict theories but then I can't do that all in one paragraph so I don't know how I'd split it up.

I'm really stressing out about this exam
Reply 16
Original post by xxwhiterabbitxx
I have my exam in a few days and I literally don't remember anything, also I struggle so much with writing essays.
Say there was an essay on functionalists impact on families how would I write it?
I'd want to write it like this:
-Introduction
-Functionalist paragraph, Murdock, Parsons, Morgan. try to criticise using conflict theories but then I can't do that all in one paragraph so I don't know how I'd split it up.

I'm really stressing out about this exam

doubt theories of the family will come up
came up in january and may 2013. I think demography or social policy but you never know, AQA may be really mean and repeat a question!
My teacher gave us these really helpful mind maps of all that we need to know, and on those I've annotated what I know without looking at any revision guide, textbook etc., and then I know which bits to focus on while revising! I just hope it's not social policy, I'm ok on that but my target is an A and there's no way I'm getting that if 24 marker is on social policy D:
Ahh I'm really worried, I feel like I don't know enough but I honestly don't know how to revise for sociology, like this is stressing me out so much
writing out essays helps me a lot but im struggling to find three sociologists for each topic for question three and memorising them is almost impossible :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending