The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alow
By about $10M yeah? I would have thought they would want to invest some money to get a new QB, Brady probably won't be around for too much longer...

I'm really hoping the pats do not draft AJ McCarron in the later rounds. Brady 2.0 if there is one.
Original post by jammy4041
Well that is very good cornerback corps but you need to have safeties and a pass rush to help them out. Take the broncos who in DRC, Chris Harris Jr., Champ and Tony Carter had a decent cornerback corps. DRC and Chris Harris Jr. were ranked very highly as a cornerback duo, and it is a shame DRC is now leaving. Shame the safeties were graded out among the worst ranked, and the broncos lacked pass rush.

With Chris Harris Jr. getting healthy and Talib (a physical presence, who has character issues I'm not comfortable with), the broncos have taken steps to improve the secondary, even if they are overpaying. They need to improve the nickel package, and get a slot corner. I really do rate Chris Harris Jr. very highly.

The Pats now have an elite secondary, but Arizona just called and said, "hi". :biggrin:

I agree but with our secondary it will really help. We saw how good our defense was when Talib was healthy( guy can never be though)

We have Revis a top two cb, browner who is a press monster. Dennard a great number 2 cb and Ryan who was the best rookie cb last year. Not to mention Devin McCourty who is elite at free safety. Build on that with a pass rush and it's a pretty monstrous defense. With mayo back can make collins focus on rushing as well. Hell I even forgot Arrington who's pretty good in the nickel slot role.

Need to give Brady two more weapons though and keep him upright. Should also get Hernandez 8m cap hit next year to add on which will be pretty sweet.

I really want McCaron guy just wins. It's so annoying to think had Hernandez not done that horrible stuff could have Hernandez and gronk party still :sad:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Malevolent

I really want McCaron guy just wins. It's so annoying to think had Hernandez not done that horrible stuff could have Hernandez and gronk party still :sad:

I'm not a pats fan, which is why it would suck if the Pats get AJ McCarron. It is almost like it is 2000 again in how similar his personality and his questions coming into the draft are to Brady. Definitely Brady 2.0. If he sits for a couple of years, he could do wonders for a franchise. (N.B. I still think he'll probably be going to the Jags in the second, but you can never tell with the draft). Nevertheless, weirder things have happened. At the college level he is a winner, a capable pilot in a professional-style offense and a two time national champion. Even that can be downplaying what he can do, as he can put it on his arm and win.

Original post by Wattsy
Yeah you do look comfy. After deciding to pick up the Jags permanently now because they're the UK's team and I'm off to see them at Wembley (shan the Cowboys and their circus) I actually quite like how their free agency is shaping up. Scared on QB though, I have my own (basically unfounded opinions because I don't watch enough college ball) on the draft class and the only thing I can say for certain is that if Derek Carr is under centre I'll be really annoyed. I'd love to see Manziel, I don't mind the high risk pick because the Jags aren't just a few pieces of the puzzle away from the playoffs, they probably have the worst roster in the league. It would only be a 1/2 year setback on a team that'll take at least 3 years to be in legitimate contention if all goes well anyway. I'm not sold on Bridgewater just because I've seen no wow factor, he's solid and solid usually doesn't win the big games. Bortles I really don't think I know enough about at all, he looks right on measuremnts obviously, apparently threw well at Pro Day too.

I really think the Jags will go defense in the first, and try and pick up a QB in the later rounds. Given the lack of O-line, running game, pass-catchers on that offense, Chad Henne did a very good job. It would be unwise to gamble the house on Manziel, who wouldn't actually improve the team too much. I think they might be able to get Clowney or Mack with their first pick, a QB in the second, a wide receiver or running back in the third and fourth rounds. On another note, good luck with Zane Beadles, though. He is an upgrade on the Jag's current O-line, but was an absolute liability for the Broncos last year. Seriously, if there was a penalty or something bad from that o-line, chances are it was him. Luke Joekel should also step up in year 2, and that will also help the o-line. Hopefully the Jags can also get Thurmond, one of the better nickel corners in the league and address the secondary. They did get Clemons, right? Definitely should go some way to addressing the pass rush, and generally, shore up that d-line.
Reply 8583
Been out os sync with live for the past few months and trying to get in touch with the ginomous cockfest that is free agency. Revis cut :lolwut: :shod: :rofl: though, Steve Smith- :fuhrer: how they **** can you cut someone like him you ****ing w0t mate. Decker to Jets. Hakeem Nicks allowed to go free do the giants ever pay anyone?

There's many more.

And amazing JM2 story cropped up?
Original post by 419
Been out os sync with live for the past few months and trying to get in touch with the ginomous cockfest that is free agency. Revis cut :lolwut: :shod: :rofl: though, Steve Smith- :fuhrer: how they **** can you cut someone like him you ****ing w0t mate. Decker to Jets. Hakeem Nicks allowed to go free do the giants ever pay anyone?

There's many more.

And amazing JM2 story cropped up?

Still some quality players up for grabs. Would really like peppers or Allen but pretty sure they will demand same as Ware got.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8585
Browner will get a few times and give away some personal fouls and will infuriate you, but he is impossible to hate because he is simply a monster out there, my favourite Seahawk since Shaun Alexander.

WRs are more concerned with fighting him than running routes half the time. I'll miss him big time
Original post by munn
Browner will get a few times and give away some personal fouls and will infuriate you, but he is impossible to hate because he is simply a monster out there, my favourite Seahawk since Shaun Alexander.

WRs are more concerned with fighting him than running routes half the time. I'll miss him big time

Definitely gonna have a few more PI this season lol but I love how the Patriots Cornerback personnel is looking.

Pass rush and some weapons for Tom is what needs to be improved next.

Really surprised Seahawks retained Bennett but its a damn good deal. Hes actually on less than Ware...
Reply 8587
I'm really hoping the pats do not draft AJ McCarron in the later rounds. Brady 2.0 if there is one.

That would be pretty bad. They would be better off with a more athletic QB IMO.
[video="youtube;bt9sKBffJp8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt9sKBffJp8[/video]

Not even sure what :rofl:

But its dawning on me and I think most Patriots fans. We're coming to the end of the ride with TB12 at the helm of this team soon. Once Wilfork goes Toms the only original of the 2001-2004 glory days. :sad:

Original post by alow
That would be pretty bad. They would be better off with a more athletic QB IMO.

I kinda want Aaron Murray or AJ. Both I think wont be picked till maybe 3rd.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8589
[video="youtube;bt9sKBffJp8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt9sKBffJp8[/video]

Not even sure what :rofl:

But its dawning on me and I think most Patriots fans. We're coming to the end of the ride with TB12 at the helm of this team soon. Once Wilfork goes Toms the only original of the 2001-2004 glory days. :sad:

I kinda want Aaron Murray or AJ. Both I think wont be picked till maybe 3rd.

Okay... didn't expect to see that today! :lol:

It'll be sad when him and Manning are gone. :frown:

I think they would be better off waiting a year for a guy like Marcus Mariota or Jameis Winston (if he declares for the draft). If they upgraded the OL this year then a quarterback who can run would be scary.
Original post by alow
Okay... didn't expect to see that today! :lol:

It'll be sad when him and Manning are gone. :frown:

I think they would be better off waiting a year for a guy like Marcus Mariota or Jameis Winston (if he declares for the draft). If they upgraded the OL this year then a quarterback who can run would be scary.

Yeah man I was like what the actual **** is this :lol:

Yup thats when I know the full cycle has come around. Will be weird an NFL without Brady and Manning. Hope Bill doesn't retire though for a couple of seasons at least but if we can win a Superbowl in the next 2-3 seasons I think Brady and Bill should bow out together.

I was thinking I would like the Patriots to go back to Two WR/Two TE sets so that we have the option to run or pass with our weapons I think it would be a good idea and a QB that could scramble like Mariota would suit that really well.

You're the Cowboys fan right? :tongue:
Reply 8591
Yeah man I was like what the actual **** is this :lol:

Yup thats when I know the full cycle has come around. Will be weird an NFL without Brady and Manning. Hope Bill doesn't retire though for a couple of seasons at least but if we can win a Superbowl in the next 2-3 seasons I think Brady and Bill should bow out together.

I was thinking I would like the Patriots to go back to Two WR/Two TE sets so that we have the option to run or pass with our weapons I think it would be a good idea and a QB that could scramble like Mariota would suit that really well.

You're the Cowboys fan right? :tongue:

It will be weird not seeing them play anymore. Both Manning and Brady could be amazing OCs though, would be great to see them on the sidelines. I think Belichick will retire when Brady does, another ring or two and they can both go out on top.

Well you'll need another TE (or two if Gronk can't stay health) and a couple of decent WRs first.

I am. I really think the Cowboys could be a great team if it weren't for Jerry Jones and Jason Garrett. There's no excuse as to why a team so loaded with talent doesn't win more.
Original post by alow
It will be weird not seeing them play anymore. Both Manning and Brady could be amazing OCs though, would be great to see them on the sidelines. I think Belichick will retire when Brady does, another ring or two and they can both go out on top.

Well you'll need another TE (or two if Gronk can't stay health) and a couple of decent WRs first.

I am. I really think the Cowboys could be a great team if it weren't for Jerry Jones and Jason Garrett. There's no excuse as to why a team so loaded with talent doesn't win more.

WR wise I dont think we need that many just another providing JE re-signs with us like I think he will. Both Amendola and Edelman are surprisingly decent blockers and dont mind doing so. Got Dobson, Boyce and Thompkins who all flashed potential last season so maybe another guy like Kenny Britt or Maclin would be good. Also wouldn't mind taking a flier on Danario Alexander.

TE wise plan is Gronkowski stays healthy , there's some talk they might try ease him back next season and only use him in red zone and obvious passing plays to limit risk of injury. Would like Amaro in first round if the DT that I want are gone. Also would like to see either fiedorowicz or Niklas if we go the route of DT first. Then pick up Lyerla as a risky pick. We saw how brutal that offense was when we had a "joker" type player in Hernandez.

Brady and Manning as OC's would be a sweet idea. They already kinda are their own coordinators since they switch up the plays so much based on what they see.

Yeah the Boys should really be a much better team than what their last few season records have been. Definitely more than a 8-8 team in a weak NFC>
Reply 8593
WR wise I dont think we need that many just another providing JE re-signs with us like I think he will. Both Amendola and Edelman are surprisingly decent blockers and dont mind doing so. Got Dobson, Boyce and Thompkins who all flashed potential last season so maybe another guy like Kenny Britt or Maclin would be good. Also wouldn't mind taking a flier on Danario Alexander.

TE wise plan is Gronkowski stays healthy , there's some talk they might try ease him back next season and only use him in red zone and obvious passing plays to limit risk of injury. Would like Amaro in first round if the DT that I want are gone. Also would like to see either fiedorowicz or Niklas if we go the route of DT first. Then pick up Lyerla as a risky pick. We saw how brutal that offense was when we had a "joker" type player in Hernandez.

Brady and Manning as OC's would be a sweet idea. They already kinda are their own coordinators since they switch up the plays so much based on what they see.

Yeah the Boys should really be a much better team than what their last few season records have been. Definitely more than a 8-8 team in a weak NFC>

You guys will be so unlucky if someone grabs him out of free agency. Amendola is really good, when he's on the field which he hasn't been consistently throughout his career which is a worry. I was really impressed with Thompkins last season, but can you imagine how good that offencse would be if you had a WR as good as Randy Moss again?

They shouldn't push Gronk to play in games which should be easy wins. Bench him once the pats are 3 scores up. You guys obviously need a DT this year so that's probably going to be the first or second round pick. I still remember how amazing Hernandez was in that playoff game a few years ago against Denver when Tebow was still with them, running him out of the backfield. Shame he turned out to be such an awful person.

Yeah they have so much freedom within their offenses so it's not much of a step to being an OC anyway.

I think next year may be the year for the Cowboys; Terrence Williams will have developed more, Dez Bryant will be a monster as always. Just got to fix the abysmal pass defense, if Carr and Claiborne improve and Lee stays healthy they shoould have a good year. Want a safety early in the draft though.
Reply 8594

x
I

Yeah I can see them going that way too, such a good draft. Some of the defensive players are monsters. I'd rather see McCarron or Mettenberger of the later round QBs then and I wouldn't mind Clowney or Mack I think both are going to be awesome and I don't think Clowney's work ethic is an issue at all, particularly with Gus Bradley as coach. I don't think you can help liking that guy.
Original post by alow
You guys will be so unlucky if someone grabs him out of free agency. Amendola is really good, when he's on the field which he hasn't been consistently throughout his career which is a worry. I was really impressed with Thompkins last season, but can you imagine how good that offencse would be if you had a WR as good as Randy Moss again?

They shouldn't push Gronk to play in games which should be easy wins. Bench him once the pats are 3 scores up. You guys obviously need a DT this year so that's probably going to be the first or second round pick. I still remember how amazing Hernandez was in that playoff game a few years ago against Denver when Tebow was still with them, running him out of the backfield. Shame he turned out to be such an awful person.

Yeah they have so much freedom within their offenses so it's not much of a step to being an OC anyway.

I think next year may be the year for the Cowboys; Terrence Williams will have developed more, Dez Bryant will be a monster as always. Just got to fix the abysmal pass defense, if Carr and Claiborne improve and Lee stays healthy they shoould have a good year. Want a safety early in the draft though.

Man it was disappointing seeing the Broncos load Manning up with offensive weapons and then you looked at Bradys and you just think jesus, twilight of their careers and Toms weapons are horrendous compared to Peytons. Amendola is a stud when hes healthy. Just need to look at that first game against Buffalo. He and Vereen are the reason we won that game. They say he recovered from his groin tear but you dont just recover from it like that. He was playing through the pain barrier and it was obvious to see. Couldn't make any cuts. Thompkins tailed off but so did most of the receivers. I think we will get Edelman. Most teams will offer the same thing as we did but if we do lose him can only blame ourselves.

Too be fair to Gronk all his injuries are pretty damn freak ones. The broken arm during blocking for a PAT. Re Broken by falling on it. Torn ACL one by ward was just well something that would have happened to anyone had someone gone into a knee like that. Kinda want Ward to be blown up by someone next season lol. Hernandez was so damn talented, could line him up next to the Oline, out wide, In the backfield it was just a mess to try defend. Need another person like that again and I think Lyerla can be that person but what if he is just like Hernandez...

Next year Eagles look to have a pretty damn nice team. Will be an interesting battle thats for sure.
Reply 8596
Man it was disappointing seeing the Broncos load Manning up with offensive weapons and then you looked at Bradys and you just think jesus, twilight of their careers and Toms weapons are horrendous compared to Peytons. Amendola is a stud when hes healthy. Just need to look at that first game against Buffalo. He and Vereen are the reason we won that game. They say he recovered from his groin tear but you dont just recover from it like that. He was playing through the pain barrier and it was obvious to see. Couldn't make any cuts. Thompkins tailed off but so did most of the receivers. I think we will get Edelman. Most teams will offer the same thing as we did but if we do lose him can only blame ourselves.

Too be fair to Gronk all his injuries are pretty damn freak ones. The broken arm during blocking for a PAT. Re Broken by falling on it. Torn ACL one by ward was just well something that would have happened to anyone had someone gone into a knee like that. Kinda want Ward to be blown up by someone next season lol. Hernandez was so damn talented, could line him up next to the Oline, out wide, In the backfield it was just a mess to try defend. Need another person like that again and I think Lyerla can be that person but what if he is just like Hernandez...

Next year Eagles look to have a pretty damn nice team. Will be an interesting battle thats for sure.

It was awful to see. I think TB is the better QB simply because he's done so much with so little. Amendola was always really good, even with Sam Bradford throwing to him so a full season this year with Brady will be great for him. Vereen is surprisingly good, when he's not fumbling that is-although not all of them were his fault, didn't he get knocked unconcious during one of his fumbles?

Yeah Gronk has some pretty awful luck, who the hell breaks their arm on a PAT? He must have been annoyed at that one. He's not an amazingly fast guy anyway so I don't see the damage to his ACL preventing him from being as good as usual this season because it's not like he's making cuts going ridiculously fast. I'm sure the pats are doing a bit more background checks into their players now, it's a shame Wilfork will be gone as it seemed like he was one of the guys younger players could look up to and aspire to be like.

I'm still not completely sold on Foles, but his WRs this year will be a massive improvement on last year...
Original post by alow
It was awful to see. I think TB is the better QB simply because he's done so much with so little. Amendola was always really good, even with Sam Bradford throwing to him so a full season this year with Brady will be great for him. Vereen is surprisingly good, when he's not fumbling that is-although not all of them were his fault, didn't he get knocked unconcious during one of his fumbles?

Yeah Gronk has some pretty awful luck, who the hell breaks their arm on a PAT? He must have been annoyed at that one. He's not an amazingly fast guy anyway so I don't see the damage to his ACL preventing him from being as good as usual this season because it's not like he's making cuts going ridiculously fast. I'm sure the pats are doing a bit more background checks into their players now, it's a shame Wilfork will be gone as it seemed like he was one of the guys younger players could look up to and aspire to be like.

I'm still not completely sold on Foles, but his WRs this year will be a massive improvement on last year...

Vereen isn't the fumbler is Ridley and Blount. Shame Ridley has such a problem with it as I think hes our best back though. Vereen though is a swiss army knife for us. Can line up out wide or in the back. Both are Great QB's just wish TB had those weapons Manning has. Who knows maybe Bill will pull something out the bag :rofl:

Really hope Amendola can play a whole season but not holding my breath.

And nah Gronk is pretty fast for a guy of his size but what makes him so good is his catch radius and the fact that its pretty much impossible to tackle him one on one . Really wish they would do something about knee shots though...

Most definitely I doubt the Patriots do get Lyerla but I really want them to could be another steal like they got with Hernandez. Yeah Wilfork the only other remaining player apart from Tom who has a ring, great guy on and off the field but for his cap hit and the injury he suffered its just not worth it.

Eagles could be pretty damn good. Foles I think is overrated but still they got the weapons.
Reply 8598
Vereen isn't the fumbler is Ridley and Blount. Shame Ridley has such a problem with it as I think hes our best back though. Vereen though is a swiss army knife for us. Can line up out wide or in the back. Both are Great QB's just wish TB had those weapons Manning has. Who knows maybe Bill will pull something out the bag :rofl:

Really hope Amendola can play a whole season but not holding my breath.

And nah Gronk is pretty fast for a guy of his size but what makes him so good is his catch radius and the fact that its pretty much impossible to tackle him one on one . Really wish they would do something about knee shots though...

Most definitely I doubt the Patriots do get Lyerla but I really want them to could be another steal like they got with Hernandez. Yeah Wilfork the only other remaining player apart from Tom who has a ring, great guy on and off the field but for his cap hit and the injury he suffered its just not worth it.

Eagles could be pretty damn good. Foles I think is overrated but still they got the weapons.

Ah I always get the pats RBs mixed up. Seems like they're all actually good which you can't say for most teams (read: Cowboys) :lol: It would be amazing to see what Brady could have done with the WRs Manning had last year. Well he's done it before...

Yeah he's just so big with long arms, there's not a corner or safety in the league big enough to cover him (maybe Kam Chancellor but I'd still put my money on Gronk) but if a linebacker covers him then they're too slow. They are getting more strict on injuries from unnecesary hits...

I doubt they'll give a TE that high of a pick, especially when they've got Gronkowski so it's not like they absolutely need one. Crazy that they're all gone now, both of them have been the cornerstone of the pats offense and defense for the last decade.

Yeah the receivers he's got will be able to cover up him not being the best QB out there.
Original post by alow
Ah I always get the pats RBs mixed up. Seems like they're all actually good which you can't say for most teams (read: Cowboys) :lol: It would be amazing to see what Brady could have done with the WRs Manning had last year. Well he's done it before...

Yeah he's just so big with long arms, there's not a corner or safety in the league big enough to cover him (maybe Kam Chancellor but I'd still put my money on Gronk) but if a linebacker covers him then they're too slow. They are getting more strict on injuries from unnecesary hits...

I doubt they'll give a TE that high of a pick, especially when they've got Gronkowski so it's not like they absolutely need one. Crazy that they're all gone now, both of them have been the cornerstone of the pats offense and defense for the last decade.

Yeah the receivers he's got will be able to cover up him not being the best QB out there.

even then Brady never had a receiving group like Mannings last year. Welker, Thomas, Decker, J.Thomas and even Tamme were a nasty good group. Bradys best was with Moss, Welker, Stallworth and Gaffney.

Yeah Gronk is the nightmare match up especially when its in the end zone. There isn't a better threat in that area.

I think they will. Gronk cannot be relied on to play the whole season and they know they need another receiving weapon. Hooman doesn't cut it as a receiving option. When hes on the field its pretty damn obvious its a run lol.

Yup no more big Vince :sad:

Man DeSean, Cooper, Maclin, Sproles, McCoy and Ertz. Not to mention their O line is so good.

Latest