The Student Room Group

What is "When you next visit the cinema what film would you like to see" (in french)

What is the question What is "When you next visit the cinema what film would you like to see" (in french) and what could I respond with for an a * for my speaking. I'm really struggling.
Reply 1
La prochaine fois que tu vas (vous allez) au cinéma , quel film voudrais-tu (voudriez-vous) regarder?

Je voudrais regarder Harry Potter, parce que mon ami m'a dit que c'est un film intéressant.

I'm 80% certain that I'm correct, but you have to check with a native speaker or some professional French teacher
Original post by Zahra199
What is the question What is "When you next visit the cinema what film would you like to see" (in french) and what could I respond with for an a * for my speaking. I'm really struggling.

What Cobalt said, basically :smile: I'll give you another, longer answer, expanding on cobalt's :smile:

Je voudrais regarder Harry Potter, parce que mon ami m'a dit que c'est un film intéressant et aussi parce que je lisais tous les livres quand j'etais jeune.

^ So now you have three tenses in there: Conditional, present and imperfect :smile: Definitely an A* answer :smile:

Original post by C0balt
La prochaine fois que tu vas (vous allez) au cinéma , quel film voudrais-tu (voudriez-vous) regarder?

Je voudrais regarder Harry Potter, parce que mon ami m'a dit que c'est un film intéressant.

I'm 80% certain that I'm correct, but you have to check with a native speaker or some professional French teacher

Hope you don't mind me adding to your sentence
Reply 3
Original post by suzylemonade
What Cobalt said, basically :smile: I'll give you another, longer answer, expanding on cobalt's :smile:

Je voudrais regarder Harry Potter, parce que mon ami m'a dit que c'est un film intéressant et aussi parce que je lisais tous les livres quand j'etais jeune.

^ So now you have three tenses in there: Conditional, present and imperfect :smile: Definitely an A* answer :smile:

I'd rather say:

La prochaine fois que vous irez au cinéma, quel film aimeriez vous voir ?

J'aimerais aller voir le dernier Harry Potter, parce
que j'ai lu tous les livres quand j'étais plus jeune et qu'un ami me l'a recommandé.
Original post by Josb
I'd rather say:

La prochaine fois que vous irez au cinéma, quel film aimeriez vous voir ?

J'aimerais aller voir le dernier Harry Potter, parce
que j'ai lu tous les livres quand j'étais plus jeune et qu'un ami me l'a recommandé.

You can't use passe compose for lire in this case, because the time period isn't specified. Therefore it has to be 'je lisais' :smile:
But apart from that, nice sentence. It's only the second half of the sentence that is mine btw. The first part is Cobalt's
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
You can't use perfect for lire in this case, because the time period isn't specified. Therefore it has to be 'je lisais' :smile:
But apart from that, nice sentence. It's only the second half of the sentence that is mine btw. The first part is Cobalt's

I think this guy is French from what I see on his profile.

The lire part is called passé composé and you don't ned specified time. The tense is used to describe the action completed in the past. If the action of reading Harry Potter was completed in the past, I think you can use the passé composé
Original post by C0balt
I think this guy is French from what I see on his profile.

The lire part is called passé composé and you don't ned specified time. The tense is used to describe the action completed in the past. If the action of reading Harry Potter was completed in the past, I think you can use the passé composé

From what I've learned from my French teacher (who is also french), you can only use the passe compose in a specified time period. I know what it is, you don't need to explain.
Imperfect can be used when no time period is specified.
Reply 7
You can't use perfect for lire in this case, because the time period isn't specified. Therefore it has to be 'je lisais' :smile:

Grammatically it's correct, but the passé composé (not sure of how you call it) is more often used in spoken French than the other tenses.
It would also make a subtle distinction:
'Je lisais Harry Potter dans ma jeunesse' implied that this time is done and it was just a childish activity.
'J'ai lu Harry Potter dans ma jeunesse" can mean that you still remember and even like it. The link between past and present is better made with this tense.
Hope that helps.:wink:
Original post by Josb
Grammatically it's correct, but the passé composé (not sure of how you call it) is more often used in spoken French than the other tenses.
It would also make a subtle distinction:
'Je lisais Harry Potter dans ma jeunesse' implied that this time is done and it was just a childish activity.
'J'ai lu Harry Potter dans ma jeunesse" can mean that you still remember and even like it. The link between past and present is better made with this tense.
Hope that helps.:wink:

Sorry, I'm always calling passe compose the perfect tense :tongue: They sound too similar :tongue:

Ah, so it varies from written french to spoken french? And P.C adds a link between past and present? Awesome :biggrin: My French teacher never actually explained this to us, so thanks :smile:
Reply 9
From what I've learned from my French teacher (who is also french), you can only use the passe compose in a specified time period. I know what it is, you don't need to explain.

French has evolved and now the passé composé tends to replace the other past tenses as it's easier to use.
Original post by Josb
French has evolved and now the passé composé tends to replace the other past tenses as it's easier to use.

Ah, okay. So my teacher is basically teaching me old french? :tongue:
Reply 11
Sorry, I'm always calling passe compose the perfect tense :tongue: They sound too similar :tongue:

Ah, so it varies from written french to spoken french? And P.C adds a link between past and present? Awesome :biggrin: My French teacher never actually explained this to us, so thanks :smile:

Exactly, it is the equivalent of the present perfect.

Ah, okay. So my teacher is basically teaching me old french? :tongue:

Maybe he teaches correct French. We are also struggling with the grammar and conjugation:biggrin:, but we can make it more simple.:p::tongue:

He has broken the window.

Now if you have the perfect and imperfect, the meanings are changed depending on which is used.

Quick Reply

Latest