The Student Room Group

Improving results

Original post by britchick
Exam: Edexcel Physics Unit 4 (6PH04)
Expecting: D/E/U
Actual result: D (66/120)
Reaction: So happy it wasn't an E or lower or I'd have to re-sit... now I can just focus on my next A2 module and re-sit my first AS module instead :biggrin: (plus only 1 person got an A in my class, everybody else got C/D/E, even those applying to do Medicine who need A*AA to get in etc... this was just such an awfully difficult paper)

Exam: AQA English Literature (LITB2)
Expecting: A
Actual result: A (72/80)
Reaction: This was a coursework re-sit and I'd already got an A last time, was just hoping for a higher A so that my overall AS grade could scrape an A... however the overall grade has still stayed a B. Probably will pay AGAIN to re-sit it once more to hopefully get there in the end.

Exam: Edexcel Biology Unit 4 (6BI04)
Expecting: A/B
Actual result: B (89/120)
Reaction: Kinda saw it coming. Thought the exam went well, but grade boundaries were flipping CRAZY high this year. May end up re-sitting this, or an AS module, in summer.

Exam: Edexcel Physics Unit 2 (6PH02)
Expecting: B/C
Actual result: B (94/120)
Reaction: YESSSSS!!!!!!!!! I sat this originally last summer and got a mid-E. This result has given me such a high B that I was 2 UMS marks off an A. I feel like Jesus. (and proved all my teachers wrong who held zero hope in me/brought my overall AS grade from a D to a B/now stand a better chance at getting a B at A-level overall to go to uni :biggrin:)

Exam: AQA A Psychology Unit 4 (PSYA4)
Expecting: B/C
Actual result: A (100/100)
Reaction: WHAT THE ACTUAL HELL. I got the highest mark in the year. Still in shock over this. Never gotten full marks in anything. Really want to strive for an A* in Psychology now. Feeling so much more confident :smile:

Hey there :biggrin: I know this post is ancient but how did you improve so much in physics?! :O that is something! im currently in the same situation and need all the tips and advice I can get. WOULD TOTALLY APPRECIATE IT, thanks in advance! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Missyyy
Hey there :biggrin: I know this post is ancient but how did you improve so much in physics?! :O that is something! im currently in the same situation and need all the tips and advice I can get. WOULD TOTALLY APPRECIATE IT, thanks in advance! :smile:

Heya! It's funny because for my AS year when I first noticed I was struggling I got a tutor and everything, but it just didn't work. I work best at my own pace, and lots of structure.

I pulled apart the specification and broke it down into topics. I got page dividers and sectioned about 20 topics for each paper, and wrote notes from a variety of books (a couple textbooks and a couple revision guides) and put them in the relevant sections. Having so many sections worked really well because it broke the info up nicely and it never felt like I was doing too much at once.

I'd re-word everything in my own words and write in colour and highlight equations I needed to know. I'd also go through tons of practise paper questions and looked closely at the mark schemes because key words are so important to use! After a while I could churn out some answers off by heart! I think Physics is a lot like maths; the more you practise, the far better you'll do.

Also start a good couple of months in advance and work gradually so you're not doing too much at once towards the exam period. And make sure you've got something to snack on like nuts or something which keeps your brain going hehe :biggrin:

Best of luck!

P.S. I ended up getting a B overall in Physics, and A*BB in my subjects overall, so I got into my 1st choice uni and am half way through my degree doing the best course ever :smile: can't believe how quickly time has flown!!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Heya! It's funny because for my AS year when I first noticed I was struggling I got a tutor and everything, but it just didn't work. I work best at my own pace, and lots of structure.

I pulled apart the specification and broke it down into topics. I got page dividers and sectioned about 20 topics for each paper, and wrote notes from a variety of books (a couple textbooks and a couple revision guides) and put them in the relevant sections. Having so many sections worked really well because it broke the info up nicely and it never felt like I was doing too much at once.

I'd re-word everything in my own words and write in colour and highlight equations I needed to know. I'd also go through tons of practise paper questions and looked closely at the mark schemes because key words are so important to use! After a while I could churn out some answers off by heart! I think Physics is a lot like maths; the more you practise, the far better you'll do.

Also start a good couple of months in advance and work gradually so you're not doing too much at once towards the exam period. And make sure you've got something to snack on like nuts or something which keeps your brain going hehe :biggrin:

Best of luck!

P.S. I ended up getting a B overall in Physics, and A*BB in my subjects overall, so I got into my 1st choice uni and am half way through my degree doing the best course ever :smile: can't believe how quickly time has flown!!

Wow! That is awesome. I'm inspired. :')
And A*! What subject did you get that in? :redface:
Anyway, I'm gonna give this a shot and hope it does wonders for me :P thank you!
Reply 3

Best of luck!

Another quick question! Can you suggest any good resources/textbooks that you used for Physics?
The edexcel Physics book is not all that useful in my opinion.
Reply 4
Original post by Missyyy
Wow! That is awesome. I'm inspired. :')
And A*! What subject did you get that in? :redface:
Anyway, I'm gonna give this a shot and hope it does wonders for me :P thank you!

I got the A* in Psychology :smile:

Original post by Missyyy
Another quick question! Can you suggest any good resources/textbooks that you used for Physics?
The edexcel Physics book is not all that useful in my opinion.

And yeah the Edexcel one is pretty poor in my opinion! I used that one, as well as these (linked in order of most to least useful):

1. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Advanced-Physics-You-Keith-Johnson/dp/074875296X/ref=sr_1_33?ie=UTF8&qid=1396288002&sr=8-33&keywords=a-level+physics

2. http://www.amazon.co.uk/AS-Level-Physics-Complete-Revision-Practice/dp/1847621295/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1396287930&sr=8-3&keywords=edexcel+a-level+physics

3. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-Physics-Student-Guide-Edition/dp/1444171461/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1396287930&sr=8-2&keywords=edexcel+a-level+physics
This one has a separate book for each unit

4. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-Physics-AS-Advanced-Series/dp/0340888024/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396287930&sr=8-1&keywords=edexcel+a-level+physics

5. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-Physics-Revision-EDEXCEL-SCIENCES/dp/1846905958/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1396287930&sr=8-4&keywords=edexcel+a-level+physics

6. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-Physics-A2-Advanced-Series/dp/0340888075/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1396287930&sr=8-8&keywords=edexcel+a-level+physics

And most of them have A2 books as well :smile:
Reply 5
Thank you! I will check them out :smile:
I sat for unit 1 and unit 2 last year and Unit 1 seems hopeless to me. Im sitting those 2 again this May and have yet to start studying. Do you have any tips that I could use? I need inspiration!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending