The Student Room Group

Do questions about space come up often on core physics paper?

looking through my core revision guide, theres a good section on the origin of the universe and stuff, seems a bit of a patchy area to ask questions on IMO. Does it come up often?
Reply 1
Original post by B.Carmine
looking through my core revision guide, theres a good section on the origin of the universe and stuff, seems a bit of a patchy area to ask questions on IMO. Does it come up often?

This depends greatly on the "core physics" that you are looking through. From the Physics that I've seen (IGCSE, AS and A2) I wouldn't be surprised if there is the odd question about the origin of the universe. Now, the origin of the Universe, IE the "Big Bang" is based greatly on the existence of "Dark matter" which is matter that simultaneously is and is not there, both with and without energy, mass, etc.
In my opinion however it is very unlikely you're going to be asked on this at Secondary school level questions. You're most likely going to be given a multiple choice question, for example;
How was the Universe Created:
1) Magic
2) The Big Bang Theory
3) Ketchup

Or something along the lines of that. Just learn everything you can from what you have been taught, try not to worry about this topic because it's very unlikely that you would be tested in great detail on something so theoretical.

Note: I didn't include the "Creationist" theory of how the Universe was formed, I mean no offense in not mentioning this however in Physics it's just best to stick with the Big Bang Theory as that is the most accepted in the Scientific community.

Hope that all helps, and feel free to message me if I was unclear with anything :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by AlphaNick
Yeah, chapter 7 is basically redshift/blueshift, Big Bang, etc...

And I wouldn't assume you're going to get questions as simple as the one depicted above... T_T for all you know you could get a 6-mark question on the differences between Steady State and Big Bang theories...

Yes I was being somewhat more liberal with how much I dumbed down the questions. It's always best to be prepared, but I personally have never seen anything large come out.

Quick Reply

Latest