The Student Room Group

Upgrading a postgraduate diploma to a masters

Hello,

I wonder if anyone could offer me any advice.

I studied for a masters degree in social anthropology in 2008-2009 at a good university in Scotland. Unfortunately due to personal circumstances I was unable to complete (or even begin to write) my dissertation. I graduated with a postgraduate diploma rather than a masters with an average of a high merit grade in the courses I took. I was hoping that I might be able to upgrade to a masters by completing my dissertation this summer. However, when I emailed the university to ask this they said that would not be possible as "once a degree/diploma is awarded, it can't be rescinded, and there's no way to open up the record again to allow the dissertation on top". I was extremely disappointed to hear this and it is a huge regret that I was unable to complete my dissertation in 2009.

My question is, do you think it would be possible to complete my dissertation at another university and graduate with a masters. I have searched online and this seems to be possible with some business orientated degrees. I am planning to email other universities with this request, before I do so I would very much appreciate any feedback as to whether this is a reasonable idea.

Thanks a lot!
Reply 1
Original post by rob177467
Hello,

I wonder if anyone could offer me any advice.

I studied for a masters degree in social anthropology in 2008-2009 at a good university in Scotland. Unfortunately due to personal circumstances I was unable to complete (or even begin to write) my dissertation. I graduated with a postgraduate diploma rather than a masters with an average of a high merit grade in the courses I took. I was hoping that I might be able to upgrade to a masters by completing my dissertation this summer. However, when I emailed the university to ask this they said that would not be possible as "once a degree/diploma is awarded, it can't be rescinded, and there's no way to open up the record again to allow the dissertation on top". I was extremely disappointed to hear this and it is a huge regret that I was unable to complete my dissertation in 2009.

My question is, do you think it would be possible to complete my dissertation at another university and graduate with a masters. I have searched online and this seems to be possible with some business orientated degrees. I am planning to email other universities with this request, before I do so I would very much appreciate any feedback as to whether this is a reasonable idea.

Thanks a lot!

Hi I am really sorry to hear you were unable to complete - and that your uni are unable/unwilling to help you.

Would their careers department at least be able to advise on further study? I know that you can APEL previous credits on to courses to add them together to gain your masters.

At Marjon in Plymouth they will consider the credits you already have.
Teachers who have their PGCE for example already have a third of the credits needed to get the full MEd Good luck with whatever you decide to do

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending