The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mcollin1
It's so stressful seeing all you guys with (sometimes multiple) offers and I'm sitting here with nothing :frown: congrats to all of you though!

Hang in there. Your time will come!
Reply 4141
Original post by frogs r everywhere
Hang in there. Your time will come!

mmmm I sure hope so... it's annoying that the one's I'm waiting for could get back any time until end of March so I still have potentially 2 weeks of agonising waiting! Although that's nothing compared to the 4 months I've already waited I guess :tongue:
Original post by callummj6747
Yeah get your 4 offers then smugly decline those you don't want, as a payback for last year :L

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahah, oh you are evil. But yes, that is the general idea (I will be absolutely astounded if I manage 4 offers, though). :biggrin:
Welll done reapplicants! *high fives*

Posted from TSR Mobile
GUYS. I just got an offer from Glasgow! Repeating the cycle proved worthwhile thank christ haha
Original post by Scottasaurus
GUYS. I just got an offer from Glasgow! Repeating the cycle proved worthwhile thank christ haha

Well done!! Best feeling?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by itsmagic
Well done!! Best feeling?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, best ever. Still gobsmacked

Posted from TSR Mobile
Seeing the 2013 reapplicants thread last year after my final rejection, I thought they were a lucky group and I didn't expect our year to do as well as them. But really well done people, we made it :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thought I'd create a tumblr account and try and log all my experiences from offer to graduation :P http://callamsdomicileofdreams.tumblr.com/
Reply 4149
Original post by Affliction
Seeing the 2013 reapplicants thread last year after my final rejection, I thought they were a lucky group and I didn't expect our year to do as well as them. But really well done people, we made it :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Love all this. Amazing. I feel so proud of us all and ive never even met you hahahaha medic love <3
Hello guys! Congratulations to everyone who has received an offer! Hard luck to those who weren't so lucky, I'm sure you'll get 'em next time!

I'm a first time applicant for 2014 entry but at the moment it's looking like I'm going to have to take a gap year and apply as a re applicant for 2015 entry!

I'd like to seek some advice from you guys about this! Which universities are the best for re applicants? Did you apply to any of the universities you were rejected from? And also, I hope you don't mind sharing with me exactly what you did during your gap year? This would be very helpful to me!

Thanks a million (in advance) 😜
Original post by FutureSurgeon
Hello guys! Congratulations to everyone who has received an offer! Hard luck to those who weren't so lucky, I'm sure you'll get 'em next time!

I'm a first time applicant for 2014 entry but at the moment it's looking like I'm going to have to take a gap year and apply as a re applicant for 2015 entry!

I'd like to seek some advice from you guys about this! Which universities are the best for re applicants? Did you apply to any of the universities you were rejected from? And also, I hope you don't mind sharing with me exactly what you did during your gap year? This would be very helpful to me!

I dont think there's universities that are best but probably a few you should avoid. Have a look at the applying to your strengths page on here to see where would be best in your situation (if it comes to that, hope not!). Personally I applied to all the same universities as last time but just worked on my weak points of my application (mainly due to the fact I'm Scottish and didn't want to pay uni fees haha).

My gap year has been pretty shoddy if I'm honest. I couldnt really afford to travel or anything and job seeking is incredibly hard, especially in a smaller city. Don't cut your options, apply for everything and anything but try and get a job in the NHS or a care home. I had a load of interviews but missed out by not much most times :/ I've been working in Schuh part time since October and I do volunteering at a Macmillan day care unit for 10 hiurs a week.

Anyway, best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I dont think there's universities that are best but probably a few you should avoid. Have a look at the applying to your strengths page on here to see where would be best in your situation (if it comes to that, hope not!). Personally I applied to all the same universities as last time but just worked on my weak points of my application (mainly due to the fact I'm Scottish and didn't want to pay uni fees haha).

My gap year has been pretty shoddy if I'm honest. I couldnt really afford to travel or anything and job seeking is incredibly hard, especially in a smaller city. Don't cut your options, apply for everything and anything but try and get a job in the NHS or a care home. I had a load of interviews but missed out by not much most times :/ I've been working in Schuh part time since October and I do volunteering at a Macmillan day care unit for 10 hiurs a week.

Anyway, best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reply! Did you end up receiving an offer this time around?
Thanks for the reply! Did you end up receiving an offer this time around?

Yeah from Glasgow, still waiting for Aberdeen

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4154

If you are a reapplicant with the grades without resit anywhere! However exeter i think some reapplicants had a few issues with not because they were reapplicanta but in relation to predicted grades etc those with achieved aaa were just rejected because year 13s were predictes a*a*a* i dont know what happened but it may be worth looking into. Nottingham dont let you reapply if you were rejected AFTER interview but that is all i know of :smile: i applied to two i got pre interview rejections from last year and got an offer from one of them and an interview (still not heard yet) off one i didnt apply to last year. All unis i know of welcone gap year students and just apply to your strengths and dont worry make your gap year about you and not medicine (that is hard i know) save a bit of your money and youll have far less worries when looking at accomodation etc. I worl part time in retail and then use the rest of the week to volunteer on the ward in hospital so its a nice balance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah from Glasgow, still waiting for Aberdeen

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congratulations! And thanks for the advice 👍
Congratulations! And thanks for the advice ������

Thanks and no problem at all!
Original post by hl7495
If you are a reapplicant with the grades without resit anywhere! However exeter i think some reapplicants had a few issues with not because they were reapplicanta but in relation to predicted grades etc those with achieved aaa were just rejected because year 13s were predictes a*a*a* i dont know what happened but it may be worth looking into. Nottingham dont let you reapply if you were rejected AFTER interview but that is all i know of :smile: i applied to two i got pre interview rejections from last year and got an offer from one of them and an interview (still not heard yet) off one i didnt apply to last year. All unis i know of welcone gap year students and just apply to your strengths and dont worry make your gap year about you and not medicine (that is hard i know) save a bit of your money and youll have far less worries when looking at accomodation etc. I worl part time in retail and then use the rest of the week to volunteer on the ward in hospital so its a nice balance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Alright thank you so very much for the advice! You said you volunteered in a hospital ward, what exactly were you doing? And how did you obtain the placement?
Reply 4158
Alright thank you so very much for the advice! You said you volunteered in a hospital ward, what exactly were you doing? And how did you obtain the placement?

I applied through voluntary services department of the hospital its really easy to get into people even volunteer for dofe and things not just medical applicants. I helped make beds and wash pts etc and took things to pharnacy and take pts up to theatre some sho's have let me do the ward round with them and if you asled i think you could worm your way in to have a sneeky peak in theatre but i was 17 when is started unfortunately... its what you make od it really you could sit around all day making tea but patients are very willing for you to learn and are so inspiring to talk to!!
Reply 4159
x

hey, it sucks receiving rejections so im sorry for that, but wait to hear back from all unis first and it's worth calling universities on results day to see if they'll reconsider you.

In terms of gap year I started working as a healthcare assistant in a nursing home around exam time, travelled in the summer, worked on ukcat and than my application quite a bit around September/October, worked/ prepped on interviews around christmas, now I've got an offer still working but I've arranged different bits of travel/ volunteering which will be a nice break!

any questions or ought post on here i'm sure lots of people will be happy to help!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending