The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by skatealexia
I actually thought you were already a vet student with how much you did know!

Thanks :blush: Hopefully I will be!!! Exams and application seem closer all the time, it's flying by!
Original post by Little Tail Chaser

x

Original post by Georgie14

x

Thank you very much guys!!! I really appreciate it, I want to be somewhat prepared so I don't go messing up things :smile:
How long did your palcements last?
(The farmer I'm out with hasn't got a lot, and he got a few attacked by dogs, so I'm not sure how much work I'll be getting :s-smilie:
)
Original post by Georgie14
Thanks :smile: I'm really interested and I try to pick up what I can on placements, but there's always a lot more to learn! I like learning and am just really passionate about what I want to do which certainly makes it a lot easier to remember or want to do extra research after!

What a lovely pic! :biggrin: Yes its not unheard of, but certainly rare for healthy twins. I remember reading somewhere that whilst in the uterus, there will often be an unequal distribution of nutrients and so one foal will often become smaller and die before full term, obviously that didn't happen in your case, but I suppose that may be why one is smaller than the other? Either way they look like lovely little ponies :smile: I think in general twin pregnancies are best avoided because from what I've heard the risks do seem to outweigh the chance of a healthy pair.

I've seen some healthy twins. If I can remember, they usually squeeze out out of the twins if twins are present, is that right? (My notes aren't with me... I think that's the term I heard!) Out on my placement that was always the question, "Is there twins?!"

A friend of mines mare had twins, unfortunately, they didn't know until late, one was still born, the other passed away a few days later. It's really hard for the mare too :/
Original post by LadyEcliptic
Thank you very much guys!!! I really appreciate it, I want to be somewhat prepared so I don't go messing up things :smile:
How long did your palcements last?
(The farmer I'm out with hasn't got a lot, and he got a few attacked by dogs, so I'm not sure how much work I'll be getting :s-smilie:
)

No problem :smile: Someone kindly wrote up a load of lambing tips that are now stickied at the top of the vet forum. I thoughroughly recommend that you read that, 'cause it's a lot more in-depth than mine is :smile:

I was there for nine full days, so 1.8 working weeks. I arrived at 2:00am on the Saturday :tongue: and left at 7:00pm a week later on Sunday. That was with 1200 ewes, and I would have stayed for longer if I hadn't had to go back to school. Lambing officially began on the day I arrived (mid Feb), although there were a few early ones, and the farmer seemed to think that they'll be done by the end of this month. I think on each farm lambing takes around 6-10 weeks, although obviously it depends on how long the rams were in with the ewes. Some farms do two batches as well.
Got two more rats yay :h:
Got two more rats yay :h:

Awwh I love rats! Here are mine (sorry to any non ratty people out there!)ImageUploadedByStudent Room1394324349.740220.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1394324447.621559.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ebbsy
Awwh I love rats! Here are mine (sorry to any non ratty people out there!)

Ahhh they are precious and gorgeous :love: . What are their names?

I'm going to try and take some pictures of my new girls today. One is a black hoodie and the other is a faded roan. They're both rescues kinda because their owners had to move and their new landlord won't allow pets, but they seem to have been looked after very well and the old owners want to keep in touch :smile:
Reply 2607

I'm going to try and take some pictures of my new girls today. One is a black hoodie and the other is a faded roan. They're both rescues kinda because their owners had to move and their new landlord won't allow pets, but they seem to have been looked after very well and the old owners want to keep in touch :smile:

Aww I'm so happy for you, they sound super lovely!! We NEED pictures :biggrin:

Awh bless - I had some 'rescue' rats before these ones (same sort of thing as yours) and they were some of the loveliest rats I had ever had, best temperaments! Mine now are called Mushu (the black rat), bambi (the fawn rat) and ru (the fawn hooded one)

Must see some pictures of yours! How old are they?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ABC05
Aww I'm so happy for you, they sound super lovely!! We NEED pictures :biggrin:

Original post by Ebbsy
Awh bless - I had some 'rescue' rats before these ones (same sort of thing as yours) and they were some of the loveliest rats I had ever had, best temperaments! Mine now are called Mushu (the black rat), bambi (the fawn rat) and ru (the fawn hooded one)

Must see some pictures of yours! How old are they?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Here they are! Apologies for the poor quality, I was in a bit of a rush this morning. Also, the cage is obviously not good enough to house rats in long-term. It's far too small, and not adequately ventilated. This is just the 'introductions' cage that we're using until Ash and the girls get used to each other. There's no 'furniture', so that there are no cubby holes that anyone can get cornered in/attacked in. This is the method of introduction that was recommended to us from the breeder, and a method we have used successfully before. All going well, they'll only be in here for a couple more nights, then they'll be moved into a larger interim cage for a few days before finally moving into the rat mansion! :smile:

Another thing to add was that yes, Ash was alone for a couple of weeks until we bought the girls home, and no, it is absolutely not acceptable to keep a lone rat and I'm not going to make excuses for the fact that I did this. It was absolutely never my intention to keep him on his own, and the situation was due to us having to have his little brother, Rowan, put to sleep very unexpectedly (bloody myco :frown: ). We wanted to make sure that he had the best possible companions (i.e, no non-neutered bucks that would bash him up), and unfortunately there was a bit of a delay in getting the new girls. Still, that doesn't mean that it was okay for him to be alone for so long, and I'm genuinely sorry that he had to be lonely all that time. He has definitely been a lot bolder since the girls arrived, and I promise that he'll never be alone again. :smile:

Without further ado:
The agouti (brown one) is Ash.
The faded roan (white and grey one) is Daisy.
The black dumbo hooded (black and white with funny ears) is Daffodil.

Sleepy Dae
2014-03-10 07.51.16.jpg

Dilly being cute (she's an expert at that)
2014-03-10 07.53.42.jpg

Daisy finds it a bit hard to get up in the morning (she's a rat after my own heart)
2014-03-10 07.53.48.jpg

Ash having breakfast.
2014-03-10 07.54.14.jpg

Ash's best scary face! :lol:
2014-03-10 07.51.05.jpg

Ebbsy, they are apparently 15-18 months old, although they are absolutely tiny and behave like babies! :biggrin: I love them to pieces already, precious baby ratlings! :love: .

I also feel that these pictures need to be shown :wink: From the urban farm 2 weeks ago:
Fly the puppy!
2014-03-02 16.11.39.jpg

Lamby :love:
2014-03-02 11.25.31.jpg
Had the afternoon off school today so I went to the dairy. Got to give a cow a bolus which was good :smile: . I'm going a couple more times this week and there's a cow due to calf any day now so fingers crossed she'll oblige and have it while I'm there :tongue:
I'm so annoyed I didn't find this thread sooner...

I'm a current 2nd year zoology student applying for vet school this September. The only trouble is, I might not be able to look round the unis beforehand as I will be in 3rd year (and stressing out!). I was just wondering, what are your thoughts on the unis? Are there particular favourites you're applying for? I've heard Liverpool and RVC student have no complaints, but that's from a limited sample..

Also, hi and good luck to everyone! :smile:

-ninjatist
Found this 'lil guy by the side of a busy road this morning :s-smilie: . Had nothing to eat, his water (or what once was water) was green, and the carrier he was in was vile :frown:

Found this 'lil guy by the side of a busy road this morning :s-smilie: . Had nothing to eat, his water (or what once was water) was green, and the carrier he was in was vile :frown:

OMG :frown:

People are vile
Original post by Angry cucumber
OMG :frown:

People are vile

They really are. What's worse is that there is a rescue centre literally minutes away (he must have been driven there; the carrier is (ironically) too big to carry (I think it's what they were using as his cage)). How pathetic do you need to be to do a thing like that I literally cannot fathom it.

He's with me at the moment. He has a clean, dry cage, plus plenty of hay, pellets and some kale for good measure. I'll be taking him to the vet ASAP for a general check up, plus he has fleas and his claws are like talons so they'll need clipping.
Reply 2615
They really are. What's worse is that there is a rescue centre literally minutes away (he must have been driven there; the carrier is (ironically) too big to carry (I think it's what they were using as his cage)). How pathetic do you need to be to do a thing like that I literally cannot fathom it.

He's with me at the moment. He has a clean, dry cage, plus plenty of hay, pellets and some kale for good measure. I'll be taking him to the vet ASAP for a general check up, plus he has fleas and his claws are like talons so they'll need clipping.

I just don't understand some people?? Poor lad. A keeper or is he going to be rehomed?
He's very sweet. :smile:
Original post by ABC05
I just don't understand some people?? Poor lad. A keeper or is he going to be rehomed?
He's very sweet. :smile:

Aww well I'd love to keep the chap but I think I have enough animals to be getting on with. If I don't have the time to spend on everyone then there's really no point having so many pets, plus it's not fair on the animals themselves, which is the most important thing. I'll keep him for a week or so until I know for sure he's healthy, then I'll find him a suitable home :smile:

His name's Barney :biggrin:

(Partially because Barney Stinson is one of my favourite characters ever and also because Barney is a bun-ny :biggrin: )
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Ninjatist
I'm so annoyed I didn't find this thread sooner...

I'm a current 2nd year zoology student applying for vet school this September. The only trouble is, I might not be able to look round the unis beforehand as I will be in 3rd year (and stressing out!). I was just wondering, what are your thoughts on the unis? Are there particular favourites you're applying for? I've heard Liverpool and RVC student have no complaints, but that's from a limited sample..

Also, hi and good luck to everyone! :smile:

-ninjatist

I'm so sorry I didn't see this! We must have posted at almost exactly the same time ahaha. Anyway, welcome to the thread :biggrin: Zoology sounds really interesting, I'm thinking of applying for that actually :yep: .

I haven't been to any universities although a few days ago someone posted a PDF file on the 2014 vet app Facebook page which was the result from a survey about all the vet schools. I can see if I can find that if you think it would be useful? :smile:

EDIT: http://www.bva.co.uk/public/documents/BVA-AVS-Survey-results-2012.pdf
(edited 10 years ago)
Happy anniversary to this thread :tongue:
I'm so sorry I didn't see this! We must have posted at almost exactly the same time ahaha. Anyway, welcome to the thread :biggrin: Zoology sounds really interesting, I'm thinking of applying for that actually :yep: .

I haven't been to any universities although a few days ago someone posted a PDF file on the 2014 vet app Facebook page which was the result from a survey about all the vet schools. I can see if I can find that if you think it would be useful? :smile:

EDIT: http://www.bva.co.uk/public/documents/BVA-AVS-Survey-results-2012.pdf

I did Zoology for my undergrad degree and I'm now studying VetMed in UCD. What you need to be careful with is that if you change your mind about the second degree, Zoology will SERIOUSLY restrict you in your job hunt. It's a mass produced degree and the job market is very small.
A lot of the Vet schools are happy with other science degrees so don't just think zoology as your stepping stone degree.
Sorry to be a bit of a party pooper!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending