The Student Room Group

UCL postgrad applicants 2014-2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Spairos
What is your GPA?
Are you interested about "statistics" in general?

My GPA is 8.23 on a scale of 10. Yeah I am. But its highly dependent on the job prospects in this field.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 261
Original post by routing_call
My GPA is 8.23 on a scale of 10. Yeah I am. But its highly dependent on the job prospects in this field.

Where did you do your undergrad? (country, uni ,and title of degree)
So your plan is to have a master degree related in statistics in general (or computational statistics in particular?) that will give you good job prospects?
Therefore are you aiming to work in the industry after graduating?
Original post by Spairos
Where did you do your undergrad? (country, uni ,and title of degree)
So your plan is to have a master degree related in statistics in general (or computational statistics in particular?) that will give you good job prospects?
Therefore are you aiming to work in the industry after graduating?

India, GTU(its an average university),BE
I haven't decided yet whether I want to work in the industry or not. But I would like to keep my options open. I have done my bachelors in computer engineering. For masters I haven't yet pinned down my interests. But statistics is something I have an upper hand at. Still it will be preferable to stick around computer science. Maybe a combination of both.
Original post by 92DL
Wow 6 days including a weekend is amazingly fast!
Yea ill PM you :smile:

Feel free! :smile:
Original post by Spairos
I received an offer 1.5 weeks ago (although I haven't clicked on "I accept the offer" yet) and haven't received any welcome pack.

Ah I see, I accepted instantly haha. Are you going to accept? I hope something does come!
Reply 265
Original post by oywiththepoodles
Ah I see, I accepted instantly haha. Are you going to accept? I hope something does come!

Haha, that's great :wink:
What did you apply for?
I will probably accept the offer (with 90% possibility) at some point XD
How long was it since you accepted the offer? Hope you will receive your welcome pack :smile:
Reply 266
India, GTU(its an average university),BE
I haven't decided yet whether I want to work in the industry or not. But I would like to keep my options open. I have done my bachelors in computer engineering. For masters I haven't yet pinned down my interests. But statistics is something I have an upper hand at. Still it will be preferable to stick around computer science. Maybe a combination of both.

If you want to know more about decent UK programmes (excluding UCL) in statistics (but not necessarily) related to scomputer engineering, or computations) then you might also want to look at:
Imperial, Warwick, Oxford, Sheffield (they have some 3 unique different programmes which focus on areas of your interests, accreditation from the Royal Statistics society, etc)
Original post by nicob87
Any international applicants? Seems to me the lot of you guys are from the UK. It'd be cool to know there are fellow foreigners applying to UCL as well :smile:

Hi Nico, I'm from Chile too. I applied to a psychology Msc in UCL. Actually, very worry about accommodation...
Original post by helloniceotter
nope, i haven't heard anything. have you?

I have my interview next week, so starting to feel very nervous. What about you, when did you apply? Have you heard something?
Original post by Nicholas13
MSc Security Studies, School of Public Policy.

Oh, that's great, congrats!
Original post by Spairos
If you want to know more about decent UK programmes (excluding UCL) in statistics (but not necessarily) related to scomputer engineering, or computations) then you might also want to look at:
Imperial, Warwick, Oxford, Sheffield (they have some 3 unique different programmes which focus on areas of your interests, accreditation from the Royal Statistics society, etc)

Okay. Are you applying for MSc in statistics? Could you tell me which industry will have jobs for Msc in statistics graduates? Will it be worth getting a degree in stats over computers?
Anyone applying for MSc Computer Science?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 272
Hello,
I have applied to the MSc in Management course in ucl. my application just changed to 'being processed by admissions' on the portal.

Anyone know what that means? and when will I hear from ucl regarding the final answer.

thank you
Original post by kams08
Hello,
I have applied to the MSc in Management course in ucl. my application just changed to 'being processed by admissions' on the portal.

Anyone know what that means? and when will I hear from ucl regarding the final answer.

thank you

It says six weeks approx. But as you can see from this thread many people are waiting longer.
Reply 274
Original post by Feartheunknown
It says six weeks approx. But as you can see from this thread many people are waiting longer.

Give them a ring
Reply 275
Okay. Are you applying for MSc in statistics? Could you tell me which industry will have jobs for Msc in statistics graduates? Will it be worth getting a degree in stats over computers?

I have an uncoditional offer for PhD in UCL.

I suppose it depends on the field that you want to work.
I know many people who work in pharmaceutical companies. They probably have an msc in stats with medical applications (like that one from Sheffield) thought, and/or they have a PhD in a related area as well.
Others work in bank or in insurance companies (but those are more actuary-oriented).

Dealing with "Big Data" is one of the most high-paying jobs and in great demand. Someone with BSc in Statistics and MSc in Computers (or vice-versa, like your case), have the perfetct background for it. Please keep in mind thought, that all "Big Data" jobs, although they provide you with good salary, however they also require fore PhD.

Other than these there are many other sectors where you can work (Perhaps secondary education? But you will need a PGCE for that). Albeit I don't know a lot in general, because I am looking forward for a career in academia and thus I am not aware of all the available choices in the industry.
Reply 276
Original post by donutaud15
Anyone applying for MSc Computer Science?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey there,

I am! Actually got my offer on Tuesday (an unofficial one from the department, hopefully gonna get an official one soon!). How is your application progressing? Where else are you applying?
Original post by BeritV
Hey there,

I am! Actually got my offer on Tuesday (an unofficial one from the department, hopefully gonna get an official one soon!). How is your application progressing? Where else are you applying?

I haven't actually send my application yet as I'm really unsure. My background of computing are pretty much new and self taught so not sure if my application would even be considered. That and I can't do an MSc if I don't get the graduate support thing. How did you find the application process? Also if you don't mind me asking, what's your Bachelor degree?

I'm applying at Sussex and Portsmouth. You?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by oywiththepoodles
Does anybody know what happens after we accept the offer? Do we get a welcome pack soon with information or is there just nothing until much later? :smile:

Not sure if this is for everybody, but unlike my offers from King's and LSE, there was no welcome pack, only my conditional offer letter in the post.

Original post by nicob87
Any international applicants? Seems to me the lot of you guys are from the UK. It'd be cool to know there are fellow foreigners applying to UCL as well :smile:

International here! German student currently finishing her undergrad in the US.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 279
Original post by wakeypuzziegirl
Not sure if this is for everybody, but unlike my offers from King's and LSE, there was no welcome pack, only my conditional offer letter in the post.

International here! German student currently finishing her undergrad in the US.

Great! Good to know there's a few more international applicants out there! Good luck to you!

Quick Reply

Latest