The Student Room Group

Is 21 too late to change one's accent?

I want to stop being a freshie!! :mad: I'll go to great lengths if I have to.... but is it possible now that I'm old??

Scroll to see replies

Being a freshie's cool:yy:

[video="youtube;d6WNfVuRGb4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6WNfVuRGb4[/video]
You should never try to change your accent, unless you are a scouser...or mancunian...or cockney...or from anywhere that isn't Yorkshire.
Reply 3
Original post by King Leonidas
Being a freshie's cool:yy:

[video="youtube;d6WNfVuRGb4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6WNfVuRGb4[/video]

:s-smilie:

Original post by Silver Arrows
You should never try to change your accent, unless you are a scouser...or mancunian...or cockney...or from anywhere that isn't Yorkshire.

lol. My accent is worse than all of those.... I actually like the cockney accent :biggrin:
Do a Texan accent. They're awesome.
Be yourself.
Original post by Vixen47
Do a Texan accent. They're awesome.

ROGER!

Spoiler

Reply 7
*sigh*

I should have known I wasn't going to get any serious replies....
Original post by SuperDuperNoob
*sigh*

I should have known I wasn't going to get any serious replies....

I don't think it's ever too early to change your accent. It depends on the person... and it helps a lot of you surround yourself with people who have that accent. It's easier to emulate and make you feel relaxed talking in that accent.

Many people go to university and only spend 3 years somewhere and come out with different accents.. so I'm sure it's possible for you to do it :smile:
Reply 9
I think once you've lived somewhere long enough you start picking up bits of the local accent regardless of your age :biggrin:
Reply 10
Don't try and change your accent, it will just make you look like an idiot.

There's a girl who I go to University with who's from Devon, she tries to talk like she's from Leeds or from the north and it makes me cringe.
Original post by Reeeeyah
Don't try and change your accent, it will just make you look like an idiot.

There's a girl who I go to University with who's from Devon, she tries to talk like she's from Leeds or from the north and it makes me cringe.

I agree, I cannot stand it when people do this.
Reply 12
Depends how quickly you pick up accents but I'd advise on staying true to where you are from, it is part of your culture and who you are!

My accent disappeared at Uni :frown:
Reply 13
Original post by Silver Arrows

Disagree, scouse accents are hot
Original post by redferry
Depends how quickly you pick up accents but I'd advise on staying true to where you are from, it is part of your culture and who you are!

My accent disappeared at Uni :frown:

I pick up accents pretty quickly. Will I lose my personality if I change my accent? I sure hope not because I really want an "English accent"
Reply 15
I pick up accents pretty quickly. Will I lose my personality if I change my accent? I sure hope not because I really want an "English accent"

Well pick a good one. I suggest Birmingham.
Well pick a good one. I suggest Birmingham.

Beggars can't be choosers! :tongue:
Reply 17
Beggars can't be choosers! :tongue:

Seriously though regional British accents merged with 'foreign' accents are AMAZING in my opinion.
Seriously though regional British accents merged with 'foreign' accents are AMAZING in my opinion.
Your encouragement levels are OVER 9000 :biggrin: How long did it take you to lose you accent at university?
Reply 19
Your encouragement levels are OVER 9000 :biggrin: How long did it take you to lose you accent at university?

Well I was a bit different - I had a regional accent and now I have no/very little accent :frown:

It still hasn't gone completely - it comes back when I'm angry/drunk.

I seem to be picking up on the Yorkshire accent now though O-o

Quick Reply

Latest