The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ke299
I emailed Sheffield and Leicester after results day last year- I hadn't even applied to either! I had an interview at Sheffield in August! I then got a rejection haha but I think that's down to not actually wanting to go there.. I hadn't even applied there and was quite set on a gap year and had already made plans etc so wasn't that enthusiatic- must have shown through!

How did you decide to email those two particular universities? I'd probably end up emailing all 33 of them cos I won't know how to pick which ones to email :/

Oh and what did you put in the email? They must've been some magical words 😅
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by lecamel
No worries :smile: gap year had it's ups and downs I'll be completely honest and I wanted to leave nothing to chance so worked as a HCA ~48 hours a week days and nights which at this point is getting difficult to keep up 6 months on. It's nice to have a break from studying all the time though and also visit different friends at uni whilst saving up too. I'm not travelling for personal reasons but a lot of people do and it sounds fantastic. Yeah I got 3 unconditional offers at Sheff, Newcastle and St Andrews and then still waiting to hear back from Southampton post interview so definitely millions better than last year! I would most definitely say if you get the grades and it's med you want to do, definitely take a gap year. Very much worth it, character building too :smile: I feel millions more prepared to go to uni to study medicine, and appreciate it a lot more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where will you firm if you get 4 offers? :smile:
Original post by lecamel
No worries :smile: gap year had it's ups and downs I'll be completely honest and I wanted to leave nothing to chance so worked as a HCA ~48 hours a week days and nights which at this point is getting difficult to keep up 6 months on. It's nice to have a break from studying all the time though and also visit different friends at uni whilst saving up too. I'm not travelling for personal reasons but a lot of people do and it sounds fantastic. Yeah I got 3 unconditional offers at Sheff, Newcastle and St Andrews and then still waiting to hear back from Southampton post interview so definitely millions better than last year! I would most definitely say if you get the grades and it's med you want to do, definitely take a gap year. Very much worth it, character building too :smile: I feel millions more prepared to go to uni to study medicine, and appreciate it a lot more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Massive congratulations to you man! Yeah I'm looking to get a job as a HCA or a theatre assistant if I do take a gap year but all the available job offers at my local NHS trust are saying I need to own a car? Did you encounter this? What were your grades?
Reply 4183
Original post by FutureSurgeon
How did you decide to email those two particular universities? I'd probably end up emailing all 33 of them cos I won't know how to pick which ones to email :/

Oh and what did you put in the email? They must've been some magical words 😅

I know someone in admissions at both unis (when I say know i've never actually met either of them haha but I managed to get hold of their email addresses and asked if they might have any spaces) honestly I can't really remember I think it was something along the lines of 'do you have and spaces available i'd really really really like the opportunity bla bla' but more importantly I attached my ps and grades/ ukcat

Really wasn't expecting to hear anything but then I got a call from Sheffield saying 'can you come in tomorrow for an interview'! haha you might as well! You can send the same email to all 33 and it's definitely worth a try! :smile:
Original post by Ke299
I know someone in admissions at both unis (when I say know i've never actually met either of them haha but I managed to get hold of their email addresses and asked if they might have any spaces) honestly I can't really remember I think it was something along the lines of 'do you have and spaces available i'd really really really like the opportunity bla bla' but more importantly I attached my ps and grades/ ukcat

Really wasn't expecting to hear anything but then I got a call from Sheffield saying 'can you come in tomorrow for an interview'! haha you might as well! You can send the same email to all 33 and it's definitely worth a try! :smile:

Did you send this email on results day or before?
Reply 4185
Original post by purple and gold
Did you send this email on results day or before?

It was either results day or the day after :smile:
Reply 4186
Massive congratulations to you man! Yeah I'm looking to get a job as a HCA or a theatre assistant if I do take a gap year but all the available job offers at my local NHS trust are saying I need to own a car? Did you encounter this? What were your grades?

Yeah :/ I live in Sheffield and all HCA jobs in hospital pretty much wanted at least NVQ level 2 or wanted a driving license or something in particular. I work in a care home, which isn't as exciting or varied if you ask me, so definitely start early and try and get something good in hospital, keep looking! I got short listed to top 5 out of 200 odd applicants for phlebotomy but was a bit crap at interview haha so keep your eyes peeled for that too :smile: my grades were A*AAA at A2 (from AABBB at AS)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4187
Hi
I'm replying on behalf of my daughter, 6000 miles away at school in Costa Rica, who had her 4th rejection today. She is a UK student but doing the IB. I honestly think the med schools couldn't grasp what she was doing and why. It's quite possible that she didn't sell it very sell either as she's a bit humble,
Now we need to help her. Would you be able to share your experiences and how you turned 4 rejections into 4 offers, and especially what you think made the difference for Edinburgh?!!!
Original post by Ke299

Haha I'm definitely sending an email after everything I've heard! I'm drafting it as we speak! (In my head anyway). Thank you so so much for the insight!
Original post by lecamel
Yeah :/ I live in Sheffield and all HCA jobs in hospital pretty much wanted at least NVQ level 2 or wanted a driving license or something in particular. I work in a care home, which isn't as exciting or varied if you ask me, so definitely start early and try and get something good in hospital, keep looking! I got short listed to top 5 out of 200 odd applicants for phlebotomy but was a bit crap at interview haha so keep your eyes peeled for that too :smile: my grades were A*AAA at A2 (from AABBB at AS)

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean by 'start early'? Do you mean start looking around for a job now? And oooh what does phlebotomy involve?

Well done for your phenomenal grades btw!
(edited 10 years ago)
So how is everyone preparing? Are there materials and resources I should be buying now or are we all just going to procrastinate till summer? (Something I'm likely to do...)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4191
What do you mean by 'start early'? Do you mean start looking around for a job now? And oooh what does phlebotomy involve?

Well done for your phenomenal grades btw!

Haha no not quite yet, but after exams/ June/July time. Phlebotomy is taking bloods off patients but means you're out on the wards and sometimes can be doing lab work. Haha thanks, worked my arse off for them, was convinced I wouldn't get grades for med after AS. Good luck to you, sure you'll be ok!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4192
Haha I'm definitely sending an email after everything I've heard! I'm drafting it as we speak! (In my head anyway). Thank you so so much for the insight!

No problem! Just make sure if you get an interview you don't flop it like I did haha :smile: having said that I am glad I took a gap year so i guess everything happens for a reason!
Original post by lecamel
Haha no not quite yet, but after exams/ June/July time. Phlebotomy is taking bloods off patients but means you're out on the wards and sometimes can be doing lab work. Haha thanks, worked my arse off for them, was convinced I wouldn't get grades for med after AS. Good luck to you, sure you'll be ok!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That sounds really good, I shall seriously consider that! Thanks a lot for everything 🙉
Original post by Ke299
No problem! Just make sure if you get an interview you don't flop it like I did haha :smile: having said that I am glad I took a gap year so i guess everything happens for a reason!

'True dat!' Haha and thank you so much for everything!
Reply 4195
2 offers so far. So glad I reapplied.
Reply 4196
Hi sorry I don't know if this has been asked, but for a Scottish reapplicant what are acceptable grades in 3 advanced highers? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kimina
2 offers so far. So glad I reapplied.

Congrats, where did you get he offers from?
Reply 4198
Original post by purple and gold
Congrats, where did you get he offers from?

Durham and Newcastle. I'm jhst waiting for Barts but either way I'm going to firm Newcastle.
Original post by Kimina
Durham and Newcastle. I'm jhst waiting for Barts but either way I'm going to firm Newcastle.

When did you get the newcastle offer if you don't mind me asking?

ps why don't you withdraw from barts if you know which one you are going to firm

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending