The Student Room Group

French GCSE Listening revision

Hi guys!

I'm doing the AQA french Gcse listening and reading exams in May and I was wondering if anyone knew of any good websites to use for revision?

I've done well on my controlled assessments and I'm hoping to do well on my reading exam however I'm having doubts about my listening exam.

If any of you could give me any tips for revision or know of any useful websites/ revision guides I'd be grateful!

Thanks

Amber

Scroll to see replies

Hey! I'm pretty worried about the listening too! For our mocks, we did last years GCSE listening & reading paper and in the listening paper they said something like 'When I was doing my icecream job in a busy shopping centre, I mistook a woman for being a man but she just had short hair. The lady was very offended and spoke to my manager" and "My coke spilt all over me during a conference. How embarrassing!"

My teacher printed out a listening transcript for us and we just annotated the words, and everything we didn't understand. Then she pronounced all the words so we knew what they sounded like. I have the annotated version at home :smile: I look back at it...It's amazing how much more I understand when reading it than hearing it! :P

I'd say listen to french songs but maybe that's not the intense revision you're looking for. print out transcripts and see if you understand the words. First do that whilst listen to the clip of the test though.

Good luck! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Dariaandahsfan
Hey! I'm pretty worried about the listening to! For our mocks, we did last years GCSE listening & reading paper and in the listening paper they said something like 'When I was doing my icecream job in a busy shopping centre, I mistook a woman for being a man but she just had short hair. The lady was very offended and spoke to my manager" and "My coke spilt all over me during a conference. How embarrassing!"

My teacher printed out a listening transcript for us and we just annotated the words, and everything we didn't understand. Then she pronounced all the words so we knew what they sounded like. I have the annotated version at home :smile: I look back at it...It's amazing how much more I understand when reading it than hearing it! :P

I'd say listen to french songs but maybe that's not the intense revision you're looking for. print out transcripts and see if you understand the words. First do that whilst listen to the clip of the test though.

Haha I also had that listening paper for my mock. I was absolutely clueless at the time, somehow managed to get a B by guessing. However, I hope for better in the real thing but I am struggling to find ways to improve my listening.
Reply 3
I'm doing this as well and I'm actually not sure how I'm going to revise for it. Probably past papers? Vocab is important so it would be good to learn some relevant words!

Hey! I'm pretty worried about the listening to! For our mocks, we did last years GCSE listening & reading paper and in the listening paper they said something like 'When I was doing my icecream job in a busy shopping centre, I mistook a woman for being a man but she just had short hair. The lady was very offended and spoke to my manager" and "My coke spilt all over me during a conference. How embarrassing!"

I did those papers for mocks too! I actually got the 'mistook a man for a woman' part even though I wasn't sure if I heard it right, but I wrote it down anyway. Don't think I got much of the rest of the section, it was pretty hard- the grade boundaries were nice though.
Reply 4

:yikes:
You don't want to do that. :biggrin:
Original post by Josb
:yikes:
You don't want to do that. :biggrin:

What about Stromae and Pink Martini? :O Stromae...come on :')))
Original post by EastGuava
I'm doing this as well and I'm actually not sure how I'm going to revise for it. Probably past papers? Vocab is important so it would be good to learn some relevant words!

I did those papers for mocks too! I actually got the 'mistook a man for a woman' part even though I wasn't sure if I heard it right, but I wrote it down anyway. Don't think I got much of the rest of the section, it was pretty hard- the grade boundaries were nice though.

It was quite hard! Ha. I got that bit too. I was so surprised. I must have been frowning so hard the teachers were looking at me weirdly. I was really questioning whether I heard it correctly. The only relief was the grade boundaries haha! If this one's going to be hard...I hope it's hard for the majority, so that the grade boundaries will be low :3
Hey! I'm pretty worried about the listening too! For our mocks, we did last years GCSE listening & reading paper and in the listening paper they said something like 'When I was doing my icecream job in a busy shopping centre, I mistook a woman for being a man but she just had short hair. The lady was very offended and spoke to my manager" and "My coke spilt all over me during a conference. How embarrassing!"

I had the unfortunate pleasure of doing the same mock paper! I had absolutely no idea what I was writing for most of it and ended up getting a D on that paper :frown: Fortunately I got an A* on the reading paper and I've done reasonably well on my controlled assessments so I got an A overall. I'm still a bit worried though!

We marked our mocks ourselves in lesson and did almost the same thing as you! It helped at the time but my long term memory isn't great.

I was given a revision book + CD by my teacher today although not a workbook which doesn't really help seeing as the CD is linked to the workbooks!

Oh dear, I just hope revision pays off and we all get good grades!
I did the same mock paper as you guys :tongue: The 'mistaking a man for a woman' or something was actually quite difficult, I didn't get it at all D:
What about Stromae and Pink Martini? :O Stromae...come on :')))

I LOVE STROMAE.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

i will scrape out
Anyone got some good online resources? I did decent on C/As but have no faith in the real exams:frown: Any help would be much appreciated
Reply 11
Hey the best way to revise for the French Listening is to listen to a lot of french audios. For example listening to French songs, listening to movies in French and listening to Euro news in French. Then try doing all the past papers that the AQA website provides you with. Keep on listening to the audio's until you clearly understand what they are saying.
Reply 12
I had found a page of yahoo where they helped you for a certain type of CA I could give you that website if you want?
Original post by ennahaspatience
I LOVE STROMAE.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

i will scrape out

Scrape in whenever you please! It makes me happy to hear that other people love him :smile::smile::smile::smile:
Original post by fazhiya
I had found a page of yahoo where they helped you for a certain type of CA I could give you that website if you want?

Help how? Care to share?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AmberTheApple
I had the unfortunate pleasure of doing the same mock paper! I had absolutely no idea what I was writing for most of it and ended up getting a D on that paper :frown: Fortunately I got an A* on the reading paper and I've done reasonably well on my controlled assessments so I got an A overall. I'm still a bit worried though!

We marked our mocks ourselves in lesson and did almost the same thing as you! It helped at the time but my long term memory isn't great.

I was given a revision book + CD by my teacher today although not a workbook which doesn't really help seeing as the CD is linked to the workbooks!

Oh dear, I just hope revision pays off and we all get good grades!

I know exactly how you feel! Don't worry I'm sure you'll and many others will do fine! :smile: I got an A overall too! :biggrin: (combined with all the mock tests and the CA's) Yeah it did help loads at the time! I guess we will just have to continue doing that ay?

We use an Expo Higher French workbook! But ours didn't come with a CD...sigh, I bet that will be very useful!
Original post by Sheldor
Help how? Care to share?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree, please share! :smile:
Kerboodle is a good webpage
(edited 10 years ago)
Scrape in whenever you please! It makes me happy to hear that other people love him :smile::smile::smile::smile:

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Thank you.

What is your fav song from him? My favourite is papaoutai. All of his videos are just amazing:biggrin:
Original post by ennahaspatience
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Thank you.

What is your fav song from him? My favourite is papaoutai. All of his videos are just amazing:biggrin:

papaoutai is amazing yes! It's my fave, definitely! But I reallllly like tous les memes as well. It's a very very close second. Alors on danse is brill btw :smile:) The filming for the music video of formidable was incredible smart though

:smile:)))

Quick Reply

Latest