The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Talk away Sunflowers, what's up?
Original post by TraineeLynsey
Talk away Sunflowers, what's up?

Hi. Basically I'm not having a very good time at the minute. My boss has taken one of my second year classes off me and given it to another teacher. This is second year of secondary school. He says the school is in danger of loosing those kids and therefore measures need to be taken. However, I'm not allowed to observe because it would be strange for the students. My classes are not dynamic enough, yet I'm not getting help to improve. Really stuck and feel worthless.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I forget, are you currently training or NQT? Can't quite recall your situation?

I think if that was me I would look at it from the perspective of 'ok, this is one less class to plan for, which gives me more time to dedicate to creating really great lessons for my other classes.'

Have you looked up any CPD opportunities outside of school? For example, I've been to a few events organised by ATL which always give great practical ideas for lessons. I also seek out help when needed. Just because help isn't forthcoming itself, doesn't necessarily mean there aren't people who would be willing to help if you asked.

I often run lesson ideas by our literacy coordinator and other teachers.
One thing I've gotta do is bulk up the writing of my plan. Gonna spend this week re-writing all of them. I'm ready for the cfc fight.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qwerty_mad
One thing I've gotta do is bulk up the writing of my plan. Gonna spend this week re-writing all of them. I'm ready for the cfc fight.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's interesting. I've been told I'm planning in too much detail!
Original post by TraineeLynsey
I forget, are you currently training or NQT? Can't quite recall your situation?

I think if that was me I would look at it from the perspective of 'ok, this is one less class to plan for, which gives me more time to dedicate to creating really great lessons for my other classes.'

Have you looked up any CPD opportunities outside of school? For example, I've been to a few events organised by ATL which always give great practical ideas for lessons. I also seek out help when needed. Just because help isn't forthcoming itself, doesn't necessarily mean there aren't people who would be willing to help if you asked.

I often run lesson ideas by our literacy coordinator and other teachers.

Hi. My situation is slightly different because I'm working abroad teaching English. I just feel like a failure.

I was at a conference last weekend, and got some good ideas from it.
Reply 3066
It's really interesting hearing how everyone is getting on - and how those of you who have had bad experiences or have had low points have been able to learn from it and move on.

I'm pretty much prepared to wipe out a year of my life to get through the PGCE year and know I will be exhausted, stressed, working long hours etc BUT what I want to know it - how does this compare with being an NQT? Is it still all blood, sweat and tears?
How does it compare with being an actual teacher? I have young children so while I'm willing to invest and work hard I don't want it to be like that for the rest of my life!!! I'd like to think that at some point they are going to see me and I am not going to be a distracted, exhausted, stressed, grumpy person!

I am open to initially getting part-time work or supply work but a full time job would be my ideal but I will obviously have to see what is available and cross that bridge when I get to it! :smile:
Personally, I couldn't do it because I envisioned at least 2 years without seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. That's how long I anticipated I would have to dedicate myself completely to become competent. I think something of a work/life balance could be achieved, possibily after the NQT year depending on how well you adapt. That said, I have a friend who seemed to breeze through his PGCE and barely seems to spend any of his free time working. He also strikes me as somewhat inadequate as a teacher. This was not my experience. I had to constantly work, struggle and improve.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Hi, I wondered if anyone could give me any advice!

I started my final placement today, lovely mixed year 1/2 class in a tiny two class school. I only have 21 kids :smile: one of my boys was new last week. He's a real cutie from Poland. He only arrived in the country last week and he and his parents speak no English. He's the only boy with EAL in the class and the teacher has never had an EAL pupil before. He's 5 years old and seems to be settling in ok. I just wondered if anyone has any tips or anything I should be doing? The classroom has been labelled and I'm getting some dual language books in. He's happily playing with the other children and they're keen to take him under their wing. I guess I was just wondering if anyone else had a lone pupil with EAL before and could give me any advice. Thanks!
Original post by Sarang_assa
Hi, I wondered if anyone could give me any advice!

I started my final placement today, lovely mixed year 1/2 class in a tiny two class school. I only have 21 kids :smile: one of my boys was new last week. He's a real cutie from Poland. He only arrived in the country last week and he and his parents speak no English. He's the only boy with EAL in the class and the teacher has never had an EAL pupil before. He's 5 years old and seems to be settling in ok. I just wondered if anyone has any tips or anything I should be doing? The classroom has been labelled and I'm getting some dual language books in. He's happily playing with the other children and they're keen to take him under their wing. I guess I was just wondering if anyone else had a lone pupil with EAL before and could give me any advice. Thanks!

Give him help sheets which have key vocabulary words for the lesson on, but put pictures of the things they represent next to them. This will help him learn.
Reply 3070
Very tired of feeling nothing but a convenient and overused bolt in the Dept. machine.
Original post by lantan
Very tired of feeling nothing but a convenient and overused bolt in the Dept. machine.

Lol join the club mate, can't wait till half term. Everyday is a struggle

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lantan

Same here! My department was the best in the school last year, but this year things have changed significantly, several members of staff have left and we've been left to pick up the pieces

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3073
Original post by Mr Student
Personally, I couldn't do it because I envisioned at least 2 years without seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. That's how long I anticipated I would have to dedicate myself completely to become competent. I think something of a work/life balance could be achieved, possibily after the NQT year depending on how well you adapt. That said, I have a friend who seemed to breeze through his PGCE and barely seems to spend any of his free time working. He also strikes me as somewhat inadequate as a teacher. This was not my experience. I had to constantly work, struggle and improve.

but it sounds like you would be the better teacher - the kind of teacher this country needs!
Original post by freida20
but it sounds like you would be the better teacher - the kind of teacher this country needs!

Maybe. That's what my mentor said but I felt it would kill me. Maybe I'm not made of the right stuff. Or maybe the ambitions I have don't align well with working as a teacher.

Obviously it has to get better but through the rough times you need unwavering and unquestioned support from your loved ones. The last thing you need is people who are supposed to be on your side telling you what you should be doing outside your job in terms of personal commitments and spending any 'free' time.

It's really interesting hearing how everyone is getting on - and how those of you who have had bad experiences or have had low points have been able to learn from it and move on.

I'm pretty much prepared to wipe out a year of my life to get through the PGCE year and know I will be exhausted, stressed, working long hours etc BUT what I want to know it - how does this compare with being an NQT? Is it still all blood, sweat and tears?
How does it compare with being an actual teacher? I have young children so while I'm willing to invest and work hard I don't want it to be like that for the rest of my life!!! I'd like to think that at some point they are going to see me and I am not going to be a distracted, exhausted, stressed, grumpy person!

I am open to initially getting part-time work or supply work but a full time job would be my ideal but I will obviously have to see what is available and cross that bridge when I get to it! :smile:

Wow! this sounds like a post that I would write, same thoughts, same situ with children. I am interested to see what others will say...
If you don't sign the cfc does that mean it's not official?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Had one of those lessons today where you just think: why on earth do I bother?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3078
Original post by myblueheaven339
Same here! My department was the best in the school last year, but this year things have changed significantly, several members of staff have left and we've been left to pick up the pieces

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by pgce2013
Lol join the club mate, can't wait till half term. Everyday is a struggle

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel you, brothers/sisters!

I am working so hard yet there's no sense of appreciation whatsoever. Having to write thousands of cover letters and application forms without any response doesn't help either.
Who needs musicians? No one needs musicians. :frown:
Reply 3079

I have had a better work life balance in my NQT year so far than in my PGCE year. But that's me personally.

Bear in mind:

There are loads of little jobs you don't encounter on the PGCE... data, letters, co-ordinating staff fully, SEN stuff. These all add up, even though you get quicker at planning, assessment etc.

I am in my ideal phase (EYFS) which makes a big difference.

I am a person who does a lot better focussed on one thing (teaching my class!) rather than several (placement A, placement B, assignments, applying for jobs...). So this really helps me.

You have to be strict with yourself. There is ALWAYS something else you can do. ALWAYS. So you need to just say 'today, I am not working at home' or 'today, I go home at 5pm' and then DO IT. It's not about the amount of work but how you make yourself manage it.

xxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending