The Student Room Group

Drawing tips in geography AS/A2

Right I am doing AQA AS geography, I did it last year and I am retaking the AS year this year as I got BBCE and the one thing I lost a lot of marks on especially in geography was the drawing questions. Last year it was drawing an esker I mean why draw it we are not doing art. I mean I know what an esker is but how do you draw it in enough detail to get the marks. But anyway, how do you learn how to sketch all the landforms for rivers and cold environments. Some landforms are quite easy such as meanders or potholes, but when you have to draw for example pingos or other landforms what is the best way to draw them.

Another reason I don't like doing them is they can sometimes be 7 marks in an exam if a question asks you for example, using a sketch diagram explain the formation of for example deltas. I could probably do a delta but some of the other landforms are quite hard to draw so if any of you know a good site which has got basic sketches of all the landforms could you please give me any resources or any tips when drawing landforms.
Reply 1
You get to draw in AQA Geog?

Our edexcel had no drawing.

I guess the best way is practice makes perfect, and get you teacher to mark it and help improve it.
Reply 2
Original post by wartortle
You get to draw in AQA Geog?

Our edexcel had no drawing.

I guess the best way is practice makes perfect, and get you teacher to mark it and help improve it.

Yeah it is fact really annoying as I am the worlds worst artist.

The problem is that the stuff I have got with my teachers are either too detailed to figure out how to sketch them or to not detailed which means I cannot really figure out what else I need to include. It is mainly the cold environments landforms which are harder to learn, pingos being one and ice wedges as well and aretes oh and corries oh jee I hate drawing. I also have no idea as to how to start them. :rolleyes: It is not like I don't know what they are but drawing them is just a step to far

Good luck for edexcel though and trust me you are very lucky to not have to draw any landforms:wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by kingdoo
Yeah it is fact really annoying as I am the worlds worst artist.

The problem is that the stuff I have got with my teachers are either too detailed to figure out how to sketch them or to not detailed which means I cannot really figure out what else I need to include. It is mainly the cold environments landforms which are harder to learn, pingos being one and ice wedges as well and aretes oh and corries oh jee I hate drawing. I also have no idea as to how to start them. :rolleyes: It is not like I don't know what they are but drawing them is just a step to far

Good luck for edexcel though and trust me you are very lucky to not have to draw any landforms:wink:

I've already done it,
we did cold environments, as an exam. They are definitely hard to draw.
If they are too detailed why dont you ask your teacher to break it down for you. Step by step?

AQA sounds like a ball ache. Remember it a geog exam not art,so just try your best and practice.

hope you get the grade you want.
Reply 4
Original post by wartortle
I've already done it,
we did cold environments, as an exam. They are definitely hard to draw.
If they are too detailed why dont you ask your teacher to break it down for you. Step by step?

AQA sounds like a ball ache. Remember it a geog exam not art,so just try your best and practice.

hope you get the grade you want.

The only problem is I don't think my teacher really understands how you could draw some of the cold environment landforms.

And thanks I hope you get the grades you want as well this year:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending