The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SUNNYOX
I got rejected by LSE and still waiting for UCL. But I got Warwick ages ago...I don't know what to think now... I think more people prefer LSE and ucl ?

whats the status shown on UCL portico? Mine is still application received....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SUNNYOX
I got rejected by LSE and still waiting for UCL. But I got Warwick ages ago...I don't know what to think now... I think more people prefer LSE and ucl ?

What were your grades (GCSE, AS, predicted) if you don't mind me asking?

I think it's all a matter of preference. I'd prefer Warwick over UCL but that's because I live in London. They're all great especially if you're looking at job prospects.
Reply 3282
Original post by Bloxorus
Congratulations!

Are you international? That will be why you didn't need to go to the open day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not an international buddy!

Congrats on your offer too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ross95
I'm not an international buddy!

Congrats on your offer too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah right!

Thanks, you too :biggrin:
Reply 3284
Original post by NedStark
What were your grades (GCSE, AS, predicted) if you don't mind me asking?

I think it's all a matter of preference. I'd prefer Warwick over UCL but that's because I live in London. They're all great especially if you're looking at job prospects.

I don't have GCSEs because I am international. I am doing a2 in England and got A*aab in AS and 3A*A predicted. What about you?
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
UCL offer came on track. Really don't know what took them so long :biggrin:

have u attend to an open day or straight offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by binbinbinnn
have u attend to an open day or straight offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

open day
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3287
So I got my last answers yesterday. To sum it up, I have conditional offers from Cambridge, LSE, and Warwick. Got rejected by Durham and St Andrews. After emailing Durham they told me I was rejected due to bad grades, bad predicted grades, and a bad personal statement (in comparison to other applicants) (haven't emailed St Andrews yet). Durham and St Andrews are good universities, but competition at the former three is tougher. So how is this possible? I'm puzzled. Theories? (International student)
Original post by kopyl
So I got my last answers yesterday. To sum it up, I have conditional offers from Cambridge, LSE, and Warwick. Got rejected by Durham and St Andrews. After emailing Durham they told me I was rejected due to bad grades, bad predicted grades, and a bad personal statement (in comparison to other applicants) (haven't emailed St Andrews yet). Durham and St Andrews are good universities, but competition at the former three is tougher. So how is this possible? I'm puzzled. Theories? (International student)

Perhaps Durham and St Andrews are less familiar with the qualifications from your country? That may mean that they are unable to appreciate how good they really are?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3289
Original post by kopyl

What are your grades and predicted grades?
Reply 3290
Original post by Bloxorus
Perhaps Durham and St Andrews are less familiar with the qualifications from your country? That may mean that they are unable to appreciate how good they really are?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I suppose so. That's also the reason I didn't apply to UCL, they have unrealistic requirements for students from my country (much higher than Cambridge, LSE, and Warwick). I even contacted UCL beforehand to ask them if the (predicted) grades I had would suffice, and they advised me not to even apply to them with such grades.

I just find it a remarkable discrepancy: Camb, LSE, and Warwick vs UCL, Durham, and St Andrews. I suppose you're right and it's simply the ignorance surrounding the grading system of my country.
Reply 3291
Original post by SUNNYOX
What are your grades and predicted grades?

The grades I had already received surpassed the requirements, and the predicted grades satisfied all the universities. (I'm an international student from a small country, so I don't think my concrete grades would say a lot on this forum.)
Hi guys, was wondering if i could get your opinion on whether I should firm Exeter, Glasgow or St Andrews? I've yet to visit either universities so would appreciate your viewpoints - thanks!
Original post by Capricancer
Hi guys, was wondering if i could get your opinion on whether I should firm Exeter, Glasgow or St Andrews? I've yet to visit either universities so would appreciate your viewpoints - thanks!

St.Andrews,as I have a friend named Andrew.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3294
Has anyone had a reply from Warwick recently?
Hi everyone :smile:
I was just wondering what happens after having received all the offers.. Ok, so I select my first choice then my insurance, but the other Unis? I mean if accidentally I don't meet the conditions of these two?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by krisko31
Hi everyone :smile:
I was just wondering what happens after having received all the offers.. Ok, so I select my first choice then my insurance, but the other Unis? I mean if accidentally I don't meet the conditions of these two?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You reject them and the offer no longer stands and if you don't meet the conditions of your firm and insurance then you must either go through clearing or not go to university or reapply.
How do you know which universities last year were in clearing?
Original post by Mike_123
You reject them and the offer no longer stands and if you don't meet the conditions of your firm and insurance then you must either go through clearing or not go to university or reapply.

Actually, when do I have to choose my fisrt and insurance? Once that I've got all my exams results, or immediately after having received all the offers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by krisko31
Actually, when do I have to choose my fisrt and insurance? Once that I've got all my exams results, or immediately after having received all the offers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

once you receive all decisions from universities and early may

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending