The Student Room Group

How to quit bad habits... it feels impossible!

For years I've bitten my nails really, really badly and pulled hair out of my scalp. As a result my fingernails look gross and my hair is a lot thinner than it used to be. :frown: I really, REALLY need to stop before it gets seriously bad.

I always find myself doing these things subconsciously though. There have been occasions where I've stopped biting my nails for a couple of months but I always end up biting them again. The whole '21 days to break a habit' thing is rubbish.

I don't know what to do :frown: Advice anyone?
Original post by Anonymous
For years I've bitten my nails really, really badly and pulled hair out of my scalp. As a result my fingernails look gross and my hair is a lot thinner than it used to be. :frown: I really, REALLY need to stop before it gets seriously bad.

I always find myself doing these things subconsciously though. There have been occasions where I've stopped biting my nails for a couple of months but I always end up biting them again. The whole '21 days to break a habit' thing is rubbish.

I don't know what to do :frown: Advice anyone?

gender?
Reply 2
Original post by Limoncello
gender?

Female, so I can't exactly just shave my hair really short :frown:
Have you talked to your GP about this? If not I think this is my best advice to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by play_fetch
Have you talked to your GP about this? If not I think this is my best advice to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What would they be able to do though other than tell me to just use will-power?
I also bite my nails and never really saw it as a problem. but it's obviously bothering you. Have you tried that disgusting stuff that you put on your nails? Might be worth getting some of that. Something I've found helpful (my wife hates me biting my nails), is picking a finger and making sure not to bite that one - you can bite the other 9 as much as you want but do not bite that one finger. Once you can do that, pick another finger and do the same. It's really difficult to go from biting your nails to completely not biting them. Another thing you could try is chewing gum, it might help with unconscious biting.

I don't have any advice for how to stop pulling out your hair but hopefully this post is helpful for stopping the nail biting. Good luck!
You can get that stuff to put on your nails. So if you eat your nails it tastes gross. So you'll stop doing it.

I dunno about your pulling hair problem, seems quite a difficult one to fix. Maybe wear a hat so it's more difficult to pull your hair? Or put your hair up in a ponytail or something so it's harder.
What would they be able to do though other than tell me to just use will-power?

Ideally they will send you to a psychologist or behavioural therapist so they will figure out why you are doing these things in the first place, or to help you to stop doing them by giving you tips on how to modify your behaviour. It sounds hopeless and like it won't help but I've had friends with similar odd subconscious habits.. Nail biting scratching hair pulling etc. and doing this has helped.. Can't hurt can it?

If you're a girl, maybe think to mention it next time you go to the GP. I say next time because most girls eventually get some kind of contraception from the doctors every now and then so you're almost guaranteed to see someone soonish.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Female, so I can't exactly just shave my hair really short :frown:

Concerning your nails you could try using a nail polish that makes your nails taste awful. Many brands sell it and it's cheap.

Otherwise if you have the means, what has worked for me is getting gel nail polish but it can be quite pricey.

About your hair, that's just very odd. Why do you pull your hair? Nails I understand but hair is a bit odd and worrying.
Reply 9
Original post by Sabertooth
I also bite my nails and never really saw it as a problem. but it's obviously bothering you. Have you tried that disgusting stuff that you put on your nails? Might be worth getting some of that. Something I've found helpful (my wife hates me biting my nails), is picking a finger and making sure not to bite that one - you can bite the other 9 as much as you want but do not bite that one finger. Once you can do that, pick another finger and do the same. It's really difficult to go from biting your nails to completely not biting them. Another thing you could try is chewing gum, it might help with unconscious biting.

I don't have any advice for how to stop pulling out your hair but hopefully this post is helpful for stopping the nail biting. Good luck!

Original post by LemonLizards
You can get that stuff to put on your nails. So if you eat your nails it tastes gross. So you'll stop doing it.

I dunno about your pulling hair problem, seems quite a difficult one to fix. Maybe wear a hat so it's more difficult to pull your hair? Or put your hair up in a ponytail or something so it's harder.

Original post by play_fetch
Ideally they will send you to a psychologist or behavioural therapist so they will figure out why you are doing these things in the first place, or to help you to stop doing them by giving you tips on how to modify your behaviour. It sounds hopeless and like it won't help but I've had friends with similar odd subconscious habits.. Nail biting scratching hair pulling etc. and doing this has helped.. Can't hurt can it?

If you're a girl, maybe think to mention it next time you go to the GP. I say next time because most girls eventually get some kind of contraception from the doctors every now and then so you're almost guaranteed to see someone soonish.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Limoncello
Concerning your nails you could try using a nail polish that makes your nails taste awful. Many brands sell it and it's cheap.

Otherwise if you have the means, what has worked for me is getting gel nail polish but it can be quite pricey.

About your hair, that's just very odd. Why do you pull your hair? Nails I understand but hair is a bit odd and worrying.

Hey guys, thanks so much for the responses!

I've tried the bad-tasting nail varnish stuff lots of times before to no avail :frown: I just desensitize to it and it doesn't bother me. I might give it another go though - more for use as a reminder when I start biting them subconsciously than to completely deter me.

I have no idea why I pull my hair but it's really, really bad. I've been doing it for three years, with varying degrees of severity. A lot of the time I just feel like I need to, I don't know how to describe it. :/ It's worst when I'm not really doing anything, or if I'm studying, or stressed (which is most of the time).

I might consider going to my GP. I don't really see what good they'd be able to do though.
Hypnotherapy

Quick Reply

Latest