The Student Room Group

Annoying question that still gets me at GCSE

Hi guys,

I have this question that has always bugged me and I never quite sussed the method my book was explaining. I got an A at GCSE an I am well into at A-level now, so I thought I would go back and look at it, but it is still getting me. It's a question on ratio and proportion. My algebra is good, so I thought I would look at it with algebra in mind, but I can't get very far with it.

This is an example of a very basic question where I would use algebra. The question goes as follows; 10 boys plan a camp and have sufficient food for 14 days. If 3 boys are ill and cannot go, how long will the food now last?

So I use this method:

10 = k/14

k= 140

7 = 140/y,

7y = 140

y = 140/7 = 20

Now the question I am asking about is a bit bigger.

8 pumps working for 10 minutes raise 440 litres of water. How long will it take 6 pumps to raise 396 litres of water?

I know the answer, but can someone help me with an algebraic method to solve this, please?

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Original post by Tygra

8 pumps working for 10 minutes raise 440 litres of water. How long will it take 6 pumps to raise 396 litres of water?

I know the answer, but can someone help me with an algebraic method to solve this, please?

Thanks in advance!

440 litres needs 80 pump minutes

So 440 = 80k
k = 5.5

396 = 5.5pm

pm = 72

Since p = 6
m = 12
Reply 2
You doing A level Maths now ?
Reply 3
Why do you change 8 to 80 TenofThem?

Also, remember the example question about the boys in the camp and the food? I can set it up like this:

10/7 = y/14

I cross multiply and get 20.

How would you set the question I asked about out in this way??
Reply 4
Original post by Tygra

80 pump minutes

8 pumps each at 10 minutes
Reply 5
Original post by Tygra

The boys and food are inverse proportion

The litres and pump minutes are direct proportion
Reply 6
Original post by Old_Simon
You doing A level Maths now ?

Yes I am.
Reply 7
Original post by Tygra
Yes I am.

Good luck !
Reply 8
Original post by Tygra

Also, remember the example question about the boys in the camp and the food? I can set it up like this:

10/7 = y/14

I cross multiply and get 20.

The 80 is in units of "pump minutes" i.e. 8 x 10

Note that you can rewrite your earlier problem in the same way: 10 boys x 14 days gives 140 boy-days' worth of food, so this will last 7 boys 20 days.

Also note that in the pump problem 396 factorizes nicely as 36 x 11 so you can actually do the problem in your head if you're careful since 440/80 = 11/2.
Reply 9
Original post by TenOfThem
The boys and food are inverse proportion

The litres and pump minutes are direct proportion

Yes I knew that, I was sking about something else. Don't worry, I've worked it out. Thanks about the 80 pump minute question I asked. Pretty obvious wasn't it?
Another way to look at it logically would be:

8 pumps raises 440 litres in 10 minutes.

you want to raise 396 litres with 6 pumps, so you have 6/8 = 0.75 times as many pumps, and are trying to raise 396/440 = 0.9 times as much water.

So if you think logically less pumps = more time taken, so you divide the 10 minutes by the 0.75; and less water to raise = less time taken, so you multiply the 10 minutes by 0.9.

or in other words the answer would be 10 x (0.9/0.75) = 12 minutes.

Just another way of thinking about it if things like pump minutes etc confuse you, although I'm sure it's not for everyone :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Old_Simon
Good luck !

Thanks, I'm not struggling at all YET. It's strange, I'm finding it easier than I was at the same stage at GCSE. This question I posted was really one of the only things that got me at GCSE.
Reply 12
Original post by just george
Another way to look at it logically would be:

8 pumps raises 440 litres in 10 minutes.

you want to raise 396 litres with 6 pumps, so you have 6/8 = 0.75 times as many pumps, and are trying to raise 396/440 = 0.9 times as much water.

So if you think logically less pumps = more time taken, so you divide the 10 minutes by the 0.75; and less water to raise = less time taken, so you multiply the 10 minutes by 0.9.

or in other words the answer would be 10 x (0.9/0.75) = 12 minutes.

Just another way of thinking about it if things like pump minutes etc confuse you, although I'm sure it's not for everyone :smile:

Ha ha ha ha. That was the way the book explained it. I didn't find it that easy, no offense. I get confused and do things like 8/6 or 440/396.

I'm more comfortable now setting up like this:

80/6x = 440/396

Then solve it with algebra.

Thanks anyway!

Quick Reply

Latest