The Student Room Group

I'm an alcoholic, I have a disease

I have a disease known as alcoholism, it's pretty bad, does anyone else suffer from this overpowering curse?
Reply 1
You should get help, it may be hard too but its for the best and you will come out a better person.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by MASTER265
I have a disease known as alcoholism, it's pretty bad, does anyone else suffer from this overpowering curse?

It's not a 'curse'.
Diseases can be cured. I used to drink heavily everyday, but I got over it.
Just wean yourself off drink, then back on in moderation so you reset your drinking to normal levels like everyone else.
I also have a drink problem! Best advice I can give is just don't drink! I relapse every now and then and it ends up being a disaster! Not worth it! Some people like myself should not drink! You need to make a decision if you can control your intake. I find it hard to come off drink and once I do I get bad withdrawals

Reply 4
I'd suggest getting help, alcoholism doesn't just affect you but the people around you and your family. Alcohol does horrible things to your body which I have seen first hand and I wouldn't wish on anyone. There's many organisations out there that can help you but you need to want to give up and get over it otherwise no one can help you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5

why do you drink?do you have problems or do you just like the taste.usually people start drinking because of problems. I was a heavy drinking for 2 years .my father died because of alcoholism
Reply 6
Original post by emobambam
why do you drink?do you have problems or do you just like the taste.usually people start drinking because of problems. I was a heavy drinking for 2 years .my father died because of alcoholism

I drink but because well I don't know, it seems good at the time, but no one likes the taste. I'm sorry for your loss, I've been though a lot with alcohol but never that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gjaykay
It's not a 'curse'.
Diseases can be cured. I used to drink heavily everyday, but I got over it.
Just wean yourself off drink, then back on in moderation so you reset your drinking to normal levels like everyone else.

Firstly, not all diseases can be cured. Secondly, this advice is unhelpful, someone who is an alcoholic isn't going to benefit from trying to drink in moderation, as that's for most people a fast track to relapse, some manage it sure, but after huge trials and tribulations and as part of an agreed management plan from a professional. Finally, if only it were so simple.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Mushi_master
Firstly, not all diseases can be cured. Secondly, this advice is unhelpful, someone who is an alcoholic isn't going to benefit from trying to drink in moderation, as that's for most people a fast track to relapse, some manage it sure, but after huge trials and tribulations and as part of an agreed management plan from a professional. Finally, if only it were so simple.

Bull****. I'll agree some alcoholics will never be able to drink in moderation again and some become brain damaged that if they stopped drinking - even for a day - it'd literally kill them. You can't claim that most people would have 'a fast track to relapse' when most people aren't given the chance to try. The AA in my town runs in different places 5 times a days and although it isn't completely necessary to attend all the classes, it's drilled into them that if they touch another drink again they'll slip back into whatever they were like before they came to AA and so they are encouraged to attend every class.

This is a just-in-case kinda thing, but to get them to have their drinking 'under control' the solution is to never drink again, and show up to every meeting. Needless to say out of the 20 people who attended the meets, the only one who had actually her **** together was the only with a job - my local bartender, who drinks in moderation. The rest? The same people who attend the job center on benefits get more cash for saying that they are alcoholics, and the fact they have to attend AA meetings means they can't feasibly look for a job.

And you think you have a good idea of what being an alcoholic entails from what? One of your parents and/or uncle showing up to AA meetings all day and then saying to you that if all alcoholics have a drink again, within two days they'd be lyin' naked in the gutter? People aren't given the chance because it's ingrained into their heads that never drinking is the only way to be 'normal' which is bull**** and so conform to this stupid, weak, person who looks for sympathy instead of saying 'look I have a problem. I'll stop drinking and then gradually start drinking to the normal level by drinking little by little.' they're told 'you're ****ed, there is nothing you can do, and you'll never be normal again'. You think that's healthy? You think that'll make them a better person? A bunch of sad, bitter people who ware the 'alcoholic' badge with pride, sitting around not moving on with their lives because they're told they can't by a bunch of other people who didn't move on with their lives because they were told the same bull**** about not able to do anything anymore.

And even if all of that wasn't the case, the OP would never know he wasn't able to drink again until he tried to control his consumption in moderation, making your whole post completely irrelevant.
Original post by Gjaykay
Bull****. I'll agree some alcoholics will never be able to drink in moderation again and some become brain damaged that if they stopped drinking - even for a day - it'd literally kill them. You can't claim that most people would have 'a fast track to relapse' when most people aren't given the chance to try. The AA in my town runs in different places 5 times a days and although it isn't completely necessary to attend all the classes, it's drilled into them that if they touch another drink again they'll slip back into whatever they were like before they came to AA and so they are encouraged to attend every class.

This is a just-in-case kinda thing, but to get them to have their drinking 'under control' the solution is to never drink again, and show up to every meeting. Needless to say out of the 20 people who attended the meets, the only one who had actually her **** together was the only with a job - my local bartender, who drinks in moderation. The rest? The same people who attend the job center on benefits get more cash for saying that they are alcoholics, and the fact they have to attend AA meetings means they can't feasibly look for a job.

And you think you have a good idea of what being an alcoholic entails from what? One of your parents and/or uncle showing up to AA meetings all day and then saying to you that if all alcoholics have a drink again, within two days they'd be lyin' naked in the gutter? People aren't given the chance because it's ingrained into their heads that never drinking is the only way to be 'normal' which is bull**** and so conform to this stupid, weak, person who looks for sympathy instead of saying 'look I have a problem. I'll stop drinking and then gradually start drinking to the normal level by drinking little by little.' they're told 'you're ****ed, there is nothing you can do, and you'll never be normal again'. You think that's healthy? You think that'll make them a better person? A bunch of sad, bitter people who ware the 'alcoholic' badge with pride, sitting around not moving on with their lives because they're told they can't by a bunch of other people who didn't move on with their lives because they were told the same bull**** about not able to do anything anymore.

And even if all of that wasn't the case, the OP would never know he wasn't able to drink again until he tried to control his consumption in moderation, making your whole post completely irrelevant.

Of course some people can manage on moderation. My concern isn't that this may be possible with certain individuals, but with blindly suggesting that advice without knowing the full story, rather if someone is truly suffering from alcoholism, they need professional advice and to arrange an appropriate management plan - not internet wisdom.
Reply 10
Of course some people can manage on moderation. My concern isn't that this may be possible with certain individuals, but with blindly suggesting that advice without knowing the full story, rather if someone is truly suffering from alcoholism, they need professional advice and to arrange an appropriate management plan - not internet wisdom.

"Truely suffering from alcoholism"? Who the hell are you to say what alcoholism is?
You advocate blindly giving up control for no reason, then give me the implication that if you don't quit forever you're not really an alcoholic?
Go to hell, it's ignorant, arrogant *******s like you that make people think people like me are pieces of ****.
Original post by Gjaykay
"Truely suffering from alcoholism"? Who the hell are you to say what alcoholism is?
You advocate blindly giving up control for no reason, then give me the implication that if you don't quit forever you're not really an alcoholic?
Go to hell, it's ignorant, arrogant *******s like you that make people think people like me are pieces of ****.

And who are you to decide if he is or isn't suffering from alcoholism? I'm certainly not, and therefore I'm not offering blind, unfounded advice. I haven't advocated anything, just highlighted the potential dangers of making such suggestions to someone who is potentially at risk. I'm not sure what you think I've said is ignorant or arrogant, and I certainly haven't intended on offending anyone.
Reply 12
And who are you to decide if he is or isn't suffering from alcoholism? I'm certainly not, and therefore I'm not offering blind, unfounded advice. I haven't advocated anything, just highlighted the potential dangers of making such suggestions to someone who is potentially at risk. I'm not sure what you think I've said is ignorant or arrogant, and I certainly haven't intended on offending anyone.

I never once said he is or isn't suffering from alcoholism? The OP said he was and I was offering advice based on the idea that he is as he claims.
Perhaps I just misunderstood your post and if that is the case, I do apologize.

The fact is people make a choice to drink. I have the compulsion to drink every moment of every day because honestly from my point of view everything that isn't me sitting drunk on my couch - and actually happy instead of being miserable - is a complete waste of time. Obviously this is due to my addiction to alcohol, but I don't let that control me. I'm the one in charge of my body, I decide when and how much I drink.

I'm not saying it's easy, I'm saying that you don't need to abstain from something that's unquestionably amazing and makes you happy just because people say alcoholics shouldn't drink, when what they should be saying is that alcoholics should only drink the same as everyone else.
Original post by Gjaykay

I'm not saying it's easy, I'm saying that you don't need to abstain from something that's unquestionably amazing and makes you happy just because people say alcoholics shouldn't drink, when what they should be saying is that alcoholics should only drink the same as everyone else.

But wouldn't drinking the same amount as everyone else make giving up harder?
Reply 14
Original post by OU Student
But wouldn't drinking the same amount as everyone else make giving up harder?

The idea is you don't have to give up though. Well you'd give up, detox and what have you, then drink in social or acceptable situations like everyone else. So you'd still be an alcoholic - the compulsion is there, but choosing to moderate your drinking is the best of both worlds. You get to feel awesome when drunk with your mates, but at the same time you're not drinking everyday and gain a measure of control to your addiction.
Original post by Gjaykay
The idea is you don't have to give up though. Well you'd give up, detox and what have you, then drink in social or acceptable situations like everyone else. So you'd still be an alcoholic - the compulsion is there, but choosing to moderate your drinking is the best of both worlds. You get to feel awesome when drunk with your mates, but at the same time you're not drinking everyday and gain a measure of control to your addiction.

You won't be able to drink in moderation if you really do have an addiction.
Reply 16

You're entitled to your own opinion, but I've found in my life that yes, yes you can. Addiction is always there once you're addicted, regardless of whether you abuse said substance. That's why there is never a former or cured alcoholic.

I'm preaching that even though the compulsion - or addiction - to drink is still there, you can choose whether or not to drink. I'm saying that you can control when you drink and it is possible - although not easy - to be an addict yet drink in social situations.

I'm living proof.
Reply 17

To define the work alcoholic is someone that depends on alcohol, not matter how much it is. If you depend on that one glass of wine a day its alcoholism or if you depend on that 1 bottle each of vodka day it's also alcoholism.

So it's not how much you drink, it's that you depend on having it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
You've acknowledged that you have a disease; this is good.

The cure, however, is totally in your hands. You can't get someone else to do it for you.
Reply 19
You should try harder to recover from it do some yoga that would help you out.

Quick Reply

Latest