Benefits of writing on TSR

Watch
lougarou
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I don't mean to sound greedy, free work to help a community isn't without benefit, but I saw the site advertises writing work but there's no mention of any reward beyond simple exposure. Is there anything else to it?
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by lougarou)
I don't mean to sound greedy, free work to help a community isn't without benefit, but I saw the site advertises writing work but there's no mention of any reward beyond simple exposure. Is there anything else to it?
Given that the mods and section leaders don't get paid, I can't see TSR paying you, I'm afraid. Warm fuzzies is the usual reward...

However, you'd have to ask the community team first, but they may be willing to give you a job reference.
samba
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Origami Bullets)
Given that the mods and section leaders don't get paid, I can't see TSR paying you, I'm afraid. Warm fuzzies is the usual reward...

However, you'd have to ask the community team first, but they may be willing to give you a job reference.
Because modding is such hard work.

Don't see how it's in any way comparable to writing.

@ OP. Just don't do it. The sites business model is built around exploiting the goodness of peoples hearts.
Origami Bullets
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by samba)

Don't see how it's in any way comparable to writing.

@ OP. Just don't do it. The sites business model is built around exploiting the goodness of peoples hearts.
It's more work than you think, evidently - we don't just sit there and issue cards y'know.
samba
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Origami Bullets)
It's more work than you think, evidently - we don't just sit there and issue cards y'know.
I'm not questioning the fact that there's work involved. Believe it or not, I wasn't born yesterday. It's administrative work though, that anybody could effectively do. It doesn't require knowledge or skill, and if you do badly at it it's all behind the scenes.

Writing to a semi decent standard [able to help others] on the other hand requires both. I've helped a few people with history and such like; a little focus is actually required. Modding could be done whilst watching football on the other screen or whatever.
Origami Bullets
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by samba)
I'm not questioning the fact that there's work involved. Believe it or not, I wasn't born yesterday. It's administrative work though, that anybody could effectively do. It doesn't require knowledge or skill, and if you do badly at it it's all behind the scenes.

Writing to a semi decent standard [able to help others] on the other hand requires both. I've helped a few people with history and such like; a little focus is actually required. Modding could be done whilst watching football on the other screen or whatever.
Not all of it. The mindless stuff, like dealing with reports can be, but then there is other stuff that can't, including
- discussing and deciding TSR strategy
- representing the views and interests of the community to the CT
- writing articles (yes, we do it too on occasion)
- dealing with problem users
- dealing with complex UCAS (etc.) related cases that your average student wouldn't know about (the unis mods are UCAS trained, and have often developed knowledge through the day job too)
- spotting and removing previously banned users (there's a knack)
- I've done some marketing work with an external company (not all mods do this by any means)
- identifying marketing opportunities

If we do it badly, then ultimately the community dies, but before that people lose uni places (yes, really, if they get crap advice), trolls run rampant, TSR loses money and it all goes to pot. As for it all being done behind the scenes, that's less the case for mods than it is for writers - if a writer writes a crap article, it will never see the light of day on TSR.
rmhumphries
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by samba)

I am able to code while having TV on, something like that depends on how much focus you give to each activity..
lougarou
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Every staff member and volunteer here has a tricky job. This sort of thing is more demanding than you realise until you do it. The right personality and mindset are necessary, its not something just anyone can do. Besides, that's completely irrelevant to my question. I was asking if there were any explicit benefits beyond having it up on the site. The answer is no, its for exposure only.
She-Ra
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by lougarou)
Every staff member and volunteer here has a tricky job. This sort of thing is more demanding than you realise until you do it. The right personality and mindset are necessary, its not something just anyone can do. Besides, that's completely irrelevant to my question. I was asking if there were any explicit benefits beyond having it up on the site. The answer is no, its for exposure only.
Hi lougarou,

Ultimately anyone that starts a thread or writes an article, gets involved in a wiki or makes a post is contributing to the community. If there is a particular area that you would like to contribute to then deffo contact the CT team Generally members create wikis or articles because they want to help and advise others or maybe because someone in the community has helped them previously and they want to 'give back'. We see a lot of this in our university and study help forums.

Origami Bullets is right - the benefit is generally a "warm fuzzy" - I'm not sure if that floats your boat or not I guess members get a similar buzz when they see their thread take off! Or when someone sets up a blog and sees it getting 100s of views.

It's not an exchange a such but when any member creates a super thread, a great article giving advice, or starts a new wiki we do promote it via pod or a stickie and more often than not via Twitter or Facebook so yes, to some extent there is exposure too. We want to promote the content that essentially will help students.

Hope that helps? If you have any more questions let me know
xoxAngel_Kxox
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by samba)
Actually, it really is. When I modded fitness I eventually had to stand down because I was spending hours every day looking through posts, responding to reports, posting helpful advice etc. My own work ethic wouldn't let me stand back and do a lesser job, so it was either continue to give it my all or step down, and due to other life commitments I had to choose the latter.

Interestingly, if I won the lottery or became more financially stable another way I would love to mod again, because I loved it and think they do a fantastic job - but lots of people can't volunteer the amount of time that it takes to do the job well enough, and I fell into that category towards the end.
King Leonidas
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's not exactly the same thing, but after my A-Levels I posted a lot of my notes in a thread I made, other users were very grateful
Katie_p
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You can start to build up a portfolio to show off elsewhere if writing is what you want to do - you don't even have to work to briefs, just write well about things that interest you, and you'll soon have a few things you can show off.
You can use your experiences to help others.
Or you can just have a good ol' debate about something that interests you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (279)
34.02%
No (541)
65.98%

Watched Threads