The Student Room Group

Self-teaching Classical Civilisation A-Level

Hi,

As I have been unable to secure an undergraduate offer at the my chosen universities, I've been considering the possibility of self-teaching an OCR Classical Civilisation A Level in my gap year. I can't afford to apply for A Level tuition or the attendance of a college, but need to keep practicing analytic writing (I'll be applying for an English degree). Class civ will allow me to do this without the burden of coursework which would be very difficult to complete without attending an academic institution.

My current A-Level predictions are A*AA, with an A* in English Lit and A in Latin (although Latin language wouldn't form a component of a Class Civ A Level). I feel confident that I could have taught myself English Lit and the literature side of Latin, as I thoroughly enjoy independent research and devote vast periods of time to my A Level subjects. I've already started the planning of this Classical Civilisation A Level, and have compiled a list of 250 critical, close analyses of the set texts.

Subsequently, I don't feel motivation would be a problem, but I would value the thoughts of current or past Classics students. Is it impossible to achieve an A/A* at a fully self-taught Classical Civilisation A Level in one year?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
I currently study Classical Civilisation at Sixth Form so any questions I would be happy to answer!
What modules would you be doing??
Original post by alex1428bolton
I currently study Classical Civilisation at Sixth Form so any questions I would be happy to answer!
What modules would you be doing??

I was considering the following OCR modules:

AS:
Homer's Odyssey and Society
Greek Tragedy in its Context

A2:
Comic Drama in the Ancient World
Virgil and the World of the Hero

I think there will be minor changes to the set texts next year (namely the substitution of Ajax with Antigone and the introduction of Electra).
Am I correct in thinking that the analysis of text centres around themes, characters, morality, setting, context, stage directions, staging etc. rather than stylistics like alliteration, repetition, polysyndeton? It would be hard to closely analyse the literary devices in the text since the A Level works with an English translation.
Original post by strangephenomena
Am I correct in thinking that the analysis of text centres around themes, characters, morality, setting, context, stage directions, staging etc. rather than stylistics like alliteration, repetition, polysyndeton? It would be hard to closely analyse the literary devices in the text since the A Level works with an English translation.

You can't use any stylistics like alliteration as they are lost in translation. I currently do AQA Class Civ so not sure how far it differs but it should be doable in a year - especially if that's all you are doing.
You can use other literary devices like metaphors, similes, hyperbole etc just not ones that focus on letters :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I also do AQA and agree with the post above!
Reply 6
I think if you have the motivation self teaching those modules wouldn't be an issue- they're pretty much like English lit in terms of analysing the texts. I do take OCR, so I can confirm you don't include those stylistics- I take latin as well so sometimes I have to stop myself and remember which subject I'm writing for when writing essays on the Aeneid! :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending