The Student Room Group

Surrey or Queen Mary for biomedicine and then medicine?

Asabove
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Surrey do not offer Medicine.
Reply 2
Original post by Helenia
Surrey do not offer Medicine.

Apologies, i meant that surrey doesn't have ties to medicine like QML. Since i'll be doing Biomedicine initially, before Medicine i still am undecided about which career, i just know i want to do medicine just not through which discipline.
Reply 3
Wait....

You're going to study biomedicine. And you're planning on medicine afterwards. And you're in a predicament because you don't want to be around South Asians, but want to be around female students of Oriental descent....

:lolwut:
Reply 4
Original post by Volltorb
Apologies, i meant that surrey doesn't have ties to medicine like QML. Since i'll be doing Biomedicine initially, before Medicine i still am undecided about which career, i just know i want to do medicine just not through which discipline.

Are you planning on doing a medical degree (4-6 years) after Biomedicine, or are you simply unaware that you cannot have 'Medicine' as a career if you study Biomedicine?
Reply 5
Original post by Ronove
Are you planning on doing a medical degree (4-6 years) after Biomedicine, or are you simply unaware that you cannot have 'Medicine' as a career if you study Biomedicine?

Medicine after biomed
Reply 6
So I'll start by the offers given:
Surrey - ABB (A in either Chem or Bio)
Queen mary - BB and a Distinction in btec science
My predicted grades - A in biology A in chemistry and Distincition in btech science, I've also attained a B in psychology Alevel.

The problem is I want to do biomedicine and then medicine (but I'm still being open minded about a different career). Queen mary has a linked med school and is more renowned world wide than surrey being a russel group. Surrey is however ranked as a better university, 13th In the whole of uk and 18th for biomed. Queen in comparison is lower, it's ranked in the mid 30s for both biomed and overall.
So what I'm asking is which one is more likely to help me get into medicine??!
Reply 7
I don't think GEM cares about the prestige of the university, as long as you get minimum 2.1.
Reply 8
My predicted grades - A in biology A in chemistry and Distincition in btech science, I've also attained a B in psychology Alevel.

The problem is I want to do biomedicine and then medicine (but I'm still being open minded about a different career). Queen mary has a linked med school and is more renowned world wide then surrey. Surrey is however ranked as a better university, 13th In the whole of uk and 18th for biomed. Queen in comparison is lower, it's ranked in the mid 30s for both biomed and overall.
Reply 9

The problem is I want to do biomedicine and then medicine (but I'm still being open minded about a different career). Queen mary has a linked med school and is more renowned world wide then surrey. Surrey is however ranked as a better university, 13th In the whole of uk and 18th for biomed. Queen in comparison is lower, it's ranked in the mid 30s for both biomed and overall.

The problem is I want to do biomedicine and then medicine (but I'm still being open minded about a different career). Queen mary has a linked med school and is more renowned world wide than surrey being a russel group. Surrey is however ranked as a better university, 13th In the whole of uk and 18th for biomed. Queen in comparison is lower, it's ranked in the mid 30s for both biomed and overall.

Original post by Miel Purple
I don't think GEM cares about the prestige of the university, as long as you get minimum 2.1.

I can attest to them not caring. My nursing degree is from my local uni, that isn't particularly well known and I got two interviews and one offer for gem this year. They care more about the grade

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11

Why on Earth are you doing A-levels in Biology and Chemistry and then Btec Science as well? Thank god you've already got a third A-level.

Edit: And I'm not sure why you think Queen Mary having a linked medical school makes any difference, unless you can afford to do a regular 5-year Medicine course afterwards and plan on being one of the top 15 students across three different degrees:

http://www.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/coursefinder/courses/80015.html
The top 15 students (based on performance in the first two years) from the combined B990/B991/B992 programmes are guaranteed an offer of a place on the five-year MBBS degree at Barts and the London (subject to interview and completing the BSc with at least a 2i BSc degree classification).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Amyk89
I can attest to them not caring. My nursing degree is from my local uni, that isn't particularly well known and I got two interviews and one offer for gem this year. They care more about the grade

Posted from TSR Mobile

Firstly thanks for your reply; I see, what about your student finances? How much in student loans will you have to take out?
And please if you could explain to me more about GEM. Even though you're doing nursing how did you go about it (from undergrad to interview)?
Reply 13
Original post by Ronove
Why on Earth are you doing A-levels in Biology and Chemistry and then Btec Science as well? Thank god you've already got a third A-level.

Edit: And I'm not sure why you think Queen Mary having a linked medical school makes any difference, unless you can afford to do a regular 5-year Medicine course afterwards and plan on being one of the top 15 students across three different degrees:

The school wanted me to do more hours hence I'm doing btech. Thanks for the insight but if you were in my position what would you do? And could you tell more about your self in terms of this process?
Firstly thanks for your reply; I see, what about your student finances? How much in student loans will you have to take out?
And please if you could explain to me more about GEM. Even though you're doing nursing how did you go about it (from undergrad to interview)?

Have a look at the GEM wiki http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/graduate_entry_medicine_-_a_guide

Its 4 years in total, but financing is a bit complicated. First year you put around £3500 up front (can't remember the exact figure) and loans for the rest. 2nd and 3rd years you take out loans and final year nhs contributes a small amount (this isn't exact, I am not the best person to explain the financing for GEM but there is plenty of info around).

In terms of how I applied... same as everyone applying for grad. I did my homework, found out which places I could competitively apply for, sat the ukcat (didn't want to face GAMSAT) and then applied to my choices via ucas. I got an interview at Southampton because I had a high ukcat, Leicester was a mix of high ukcat and good academic background. I got rejected from Warwick, likely due to my personal statement.
Reply 15
Original post by Amyk89
Have a look at the GEM wiki http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/graduate_entry_medicine_-_a_guide

Its 4 years in total, but financing is a bit complicated. First year you put around £3500 up front (can't remember the exact figure) and loans for the rest. 2nd and 3rd years you take out loans and final year nhs contributes a small amount (this isn't exact, I am not the best person to explain the financing for GEM but there is plenty of info around).

In terms of how I applied... same as everyone applying for grad. I did my homework, found out which places I could competitively apply for, sat the ukcat (didn't want to face GAMSAT) and then applied to my choices via ucas. I got an interview at Southampton because I had a high ukcat, Leicester was a mix of high ukcat and good academic background. I got rejected from Warwick, likely due to my personal statement.

What subjects did you do for Alevel and how were the results? And what subject did you graduate in?

Again, thank you for the help.
What subjects did you do for Alevel and how were the results? And what subject did you graduate in?

Again, thank you for the help.

Maths (a), bio and chem (b) and further maths (c). I finished my nursing degree 2 and a half years ago and have been working ever since.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Amyk89
Maths (a), bio and chem (b) and further maths (c). I finished my nursing degree 2 and a half years ago and have been working ever since.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What did you think had the biggest effect on getting you your offer? The uni grades and the 2+ years of experience?
What did you think had the biggest effect on getting you your offer? The uni grades and the 2+ years of experience?

So many things... Applying to places where I would get a good shot at interview... My grades were fairly competitive but didn't make me stand out... Getting a high ukcat was certainly an advantage... Leicester requires paid work experience but my nursing experience meant that none of the mmi stations at Leicester threw me, they were all stuff I kind of did anyway.

The thing with all med applications is apply to your strengths and don't waste an application. For example you may love Newcastle but if you get a poor ukcat score you would just waste an application applying there. You want to try and get as many interviews as you can.

But don't underestimate just how competitive grad entry medicine is!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by Amyk89
So many things... Applying to places where I would get a good shot at interview... My grades were fairly competitive but didn't make me stand out... Getting a high ukcat was certainly an advantage... Leicester requires paid work experience but my nursing experience meant that none of the mmi stations at Leicester threw me, they were all stuff I kind of did anyway.

The thing with all med applications is apply to your strengths and don't waste an application. For example you may love Newcastle but if you get a poor ukcat score you would just waste an application applying there. You want to try and get as many interviews as you can.

But don't underestimate just how competitive grad entry medicine is!

Posted from TSR Mobile

What would be your best advice?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending