The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Little Tail Chaser
I'm so sorry I didn't see this! We must have posted at almost exactly the same time ahaha. Anyway, welcome to the thread :biggrin: Zoology sounds really interesting, I'm thinking of applying for that actually :yep: .

I haven't been to any universities although a few days ago someone posted a PDF file on the 2014 vet app Facebook page which was the result from a survey about all the vet schools. I can see if I can find that if you think it would be useful? :smile:

EDIT: http://www.bva.co.uk/public/documents/BVA-AVS-Survey-results-2012.pdf

I've just read through that, very interesting! Thank you so much for linking it - Definitely going for RVC, Nottingham and Liverpool. The 4th will be decided as and when :smile:
Hey guys :smile: is anyone going to the Cambridge taster course on the 31st?
Original post by melancholyblues
Hey guys :smile: is anyone going to the Cambridge taster course on the 31st?

What a coincidence... I was planning on coming here to ask the same thing tonight! I guess you mean VetCam on 31st March and 1st April and yup I will be there! Really looking forward to it! Did you go to Vetlink? :smile: There is a thread about VetCam 2014 if you want to check it out:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2565560

Anyone else going to VetQuest at Bristol this Saturday?
Original post by Georgie14

Anyone else going to VetQuest at Bristol this Saturday?

:yep:
HI, I'm planning on going in to Veterinary :smile: Ideally I'll be going to Edinburgh but that of course depends on my offers and results, I'm first year at 6th form and will be starting uni in 2015 (hopefully)!
Original post by JamesG1001
I did Zoology for my undergrad degree and I'm now studying VetMed in UCD. What you need to be careful with is that if you change your mind about the second degree, Zoology will SERIOUSLY restrict you in your job hunt. It's a mass produced degree and the job market is very small.
A lot of the Vet schools are happy with other science degrees so don't just think zoology as your stepping stone degree.
Sorry to be a bit of a party pooper!

No no that's quite alright! I don't want to rush into anything so any advice is gratefully received :smile: .

That's kinda one of my worries. I know someone with a zoology degree; they used to work as an intern at the farm where I volunteer and now works at an animal rescue centre. It's fantastic for her, as those have both been jobs that she's thoroughly enjoyed (judging from her Facebook posts anyway! :tongue: ), but I sort of get the feeling that they're both jobs that didn't really need the degree? I'm not denying that it would help, she certainly knows a lot about animal behavior and she had a great time at university (she got to hang around with orang-utans in Borneo! :biggrin: ), but as you say there's not that may jobs that would apply everything in a zoology degree.

If I were to apply for zoology, I would want it to be my only degree as there's no way (short of winning Euromillions :tongue: ) that I'll get the funding to do anything postgraduate. Obviously I want to do something animal-related and zoology fits that criteria but it's still far from perfect. I know someone that's currently studying animal behavior, but she only gets 7 hours per week of lectures and regardless of how many practicals she does at an ag college, I really don't think that £9000 per year for 7 hours per week is at all justified. In my mind it makes more sense to do a vocational course rather than a general science/animal one as I feel that they have more solid career prospects, but I dunno what exactly :frown:

Ahaaa ignore me, I'm just venting :redface: I'm so lost though.
Original post by Abby_W31
HI, I'm planning on going in to Veterinary :smile: Ideally I'll be going to Edinburgh but that of course depends on my offers and results, I'm first year at 6th form and will be starting uni in 2015 (hopefully)!

Hi Abby! Welcome to the thread :hi: .

Edinburgh is a good choice, fingers crossed you'll get an offer! Do you know where else you'd like to apply?
Reply 2627

Hello :biggrin: Edinburgh looks awesome - the scenery up there is gorgeous! What A-Levels are you doing? :smile:
xx

I'll let you know my thoughts about animal related jobs. A lot of them are not well paid. If I hadn't of been a vet, I would have done a different career without animals where I earned more money and kept animals as a very in depth hobby. I'd then get the money AND the animal enjoyment without having to worry about the very low pay that animal jobs have to offer (normally below £20,000 which is nothing really). For me I would have ended up in some sort of scientific vocation e.g. lab work or something similar and then gone on from that route, and then do dog training, instructing and competing in my spare time. I'd have also needed to fund my sheep flock and horse obvs. :biggrin:. I think that the danger with going down the zoology or animal science or behaviour route is that realistically, the job prospects aren't great, and even though it is nice too be able to work with animals, I think a lot of other factors have to come into it, unless you went on to do PHD, Doctorate etc.
Original post by ABC05
Hello :biggrin: Edinburgh looks awesome - the scenery up there is gorgeous! What A-Levels are you doing? :smile:

I took the hard option and am doing all my sciences and Maths at As , I'm planning on dropping physics next year but will see how my grades come out this year!

Hi Abby! Welcome to the thread :hi: .

Edinburgh is a good choice, fingers crossed you'll get an offer! Do you know where else you'd like to apply?

I've short listed Liverpool as my second choice as my grandparents live not 20 mins from the Leahurst campus so they've offered for me to live with them if I wanted to. After that, in no particular order, Bristol, Nottingham and possibly Surrey? If I went to surrey I'd be part of the first year to go through their vet school so I'm not sure wether to risk it or not. Oppinions?
Original post by skatealexia
I'll let you know my thoughts about animal related jobs. A lot of them are not well paid. If I hadn't of been a vet, I would have done a different career without animals where I earned more money and kept animals as a very in depth hobby. I'd then get the money AND the animal enjoyment without having to worry about the very low pay that animal jobs have to offer (normally below £20,000 which is nothing really). For me I would have ended up in some sort of scientific vocation e.g. lab work or something similar and then gone on from that route, and then do dog training, instructing and competing in my spare time. I'd have also needed to fund my sheep flock and horse obvs. :biggrin:. I think that the danger with going down the zoology or animal science or behaviour route is that realistically, the job prospects aren't great, and even though it is nice too be able to work with animals, I think a lot of other factors have to come into it, unless you went on to do PHD, Doctorate etc.

Thank you very much for your input :smile: I do agree with you on the salary front. Money isn't a massive consideration with regards to choices of careers (after, all I was thinking of being a vet for a long time, and that's hardly the best paid profession in the world! :tongue: ), but at the same time I think I'd be very naive to take the 'money isn't everything' approach. I'm not really a materialistic person at all, but at the same time things DO cost money and I can't live on the breadline all my life. I think the most important thing at the moment is it not make any rushed decisions. I really do not want to take a gap year so I will need to decide on something sooner rather than later though, so I'll just keep on doing my research...

I've short listed Liverpool as my second choice as my grandparents live not 20 mins from the Leahurst campus so they've offered for me to live with them if I wanted to. After that, in no particular order, Bristol, Nottingham and possibly Surrey? If I went to surrey I'd be part of the first year to go through their vet school so I'm not sure wether to risk it or not. Oppinions?

:nah: Surrey is having their first intake this year, so if you went there you'd be their second cohort. I don't really have much of an opinion on the matter as I don't know enough about Surrey and I've never been to an open day, but the news that they were starting a veterinary course wasn't very well received, as it will mean even more competition for jobs. I also don't think that it was particularly prudent of them to take on their first cohort before the completion of the construction of the new buildings, but if they can deliver on their promises and produce competent vets then who am I to comment on that.

:nah: Surrey is having their first intake this year, so if you went there you'd be their second cohort. I don't really have much of an opinion on the matter as I don't know enough about Surrey and I've never been to an open day, but the news that they were starting a veterinary course wasn't very well received, as it will mean even more competition for jobs. I also don't think that it was particularly prudent of them to take on their first cohort before the completion of the construction of the new buildings, but if they can deliver on their promises and produce competent vets then who am I to comment on that.

Oh :s-smilie: I must have mis understood it thanks for letting me know, hmm might consider it but keeping my options open for the moment :smile:
Oh :s-smilie: I must have mis understood it thanks for letting me know, hmm might consider it but keeping my options open for the moment :smile:

That's alright :h: . There are a few threads on here about it if you wanted to read a bit more into it :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=40008898&
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2493231
That's alright :h: . There are a few threads on here about it if you wanted to read a bit more into it :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=40008898&
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2493231

Thank, will take look :smile:
Reply 2634
Hey I thought that I would introduce myself. I am in my final year at college and I am planning a gap year now after receiving four rejections this year from veterinary medicine courses so I am hoping that this thread will give me an insight into gap year plans and general uni interview tips. Is there anyone else planning a gap year this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 0802
Hey I thought that I would introduce myself. I am in my final year at college and I am planning a gap year now after receiving four rejections this year from veterinary medicine courses so I am hoping that this thread will give me an insight into gap year plans and general uni interview tips. Is there anyone else planning a gap year this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just out of interest, where did you apply to?
Reply 2636
Just out of interest, where did you apply to?

RVC, Surrey, Nottingham and Edinburgh. I only got an interview at RVC!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 0802
RVC, Surrey, Nottingham and Edinburgh. I only got an interview at RVC!

Posted from TSR Mobile

:frown: You've got me worried now!! Do you mind me asking what grades you got?
Reply 2638
:frown: You've got me worried now!! Do you mind me asking what grades you got?

I got a,a,b in As results and predicted AAA. There is nothing to worry about. Just make sure you have done a good range of work experience, your personal statement is reflective of you (I know that some college's advise can make them really different) and actually the interview that î had was quite fun. (I am just rubbish at interviews- I get really nervous ). Where are you planning on applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 0802
I got a,a,b in As results and predicted AAA. There is nothing to worry about. Just make sure you have done a good range of work experience, your personal statement is reflective of you (I know that some college's advise can make them really different) and actually the interview that î had was quite fun. (I am just rubbish at interviews- I get really nervous ). Where are you planning on applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm predicted AAAA at As in all my sciences and maths. I hope to apply to Edinburgh, Liverpool (definite) and I'm not sure out of Bristol, Nottingham and I'm considering St Georges in the Caribbean but have heard mixed reviews about it :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending