The Student Room Group

illusionz' ICF blog

Scroll to see replies

Original post by illusionz
lols, just did measurement now (1.5hours after gym). Left is 14.5, right is 13.7in.

thigh is 26in and calf is 16in

Yes, my upper body is small.

Not gonna lie, not sure why your biceps are smaller than mine =/

Maybe its because of my tris -- even then you lift heavier.
Reply 141
Original post by tehforum
Not gonna lie, not sure why your biceps are smaller than mine =/

Maybe its because of my tris -- even then you lift heavier.

I really don't think isolations are lifts that you can compare that well. A lot depends on different biomechanics and how strict you keep the form. Your arms might be longer/shorter/different ratio of upper/forearm which will all effect the arm isolations.

Compare bench/squats/DL to compare strength imo, then maybe OHP, chins and dips and the like, but they have much more potential for 'cheating'.

Plus you can get big arms from relatively light isolations, and you can lift huge compounds and still look small. I rest a fair time even on the isolations (longer than recommended tbh).

End of the day I row/bench/DL (though still jelly of your ohp) etc more than you so it's not that surprising that my isolations are higher, even if you might be bigger in some regards.
(edited 10 years ago)
I really don't think isolations are lifts that you can compare that well. A lot depends on different biomechanics and how strict you keep the form.

Compare bench/squats/DL to compare strength imo, then maybe OHP, chins and dips and the like, but they have much more potential for 'cheating'.

Plus you can get big arms from relatively light isolations, and you can lift huge compounds and still look small. I rest a fair time even on the isolations (longer than recommended tbh).

Yeah, compounds are a better strength comparator.

But you are 10 kg heavier than me, I would've thought they'd be bigger.

I rest a lot of incline curls because they're so damn hard, and not much on skullcrushers.
Reply 143
But you are 10 kg heavier than me, I would've thought they'd be bigger.

Yeah :frown: Maybe I should drop the weight and reduce the rests. Might be better for hypertrophy.
Yeah :frown: Maybe I should drop the weight and reduce the rests. Might be better for hypertrophy.

Try it.

Also, you'll overtake my OHP in due course.

My wrist is pooed up.
Reply 145
Try it.

Also, you'll overtake my OHP in due course.

My wrist is pooed up.

tbh what I'm really eyeing up is a respectable deadlift. I think that with 157.5 x5 pretty easy I hope I'll be able to get to 4 plate for reps in a couple months.
tbh what I'm really eyeing up is a respectable deadlift. I think that with 157.5 x5 pretty easy I hope I'll be able to get to 4 plate for reps in a couple months.

What DL did you start with?

I think mine was 80 based on a low theoretical 1 rep max.
Reply 147
What DL did you start with?

I think mine was 80 based on a low theoretical 1 rep max.

Pulled 100x5 on my first day. Then jumped pretty quickly to 120 then 140. Stalled at 140 while grip caught up and now progressed each of the last few sessions. Cucumber gonna shoot me for no chalk yet
Pulled 100x5 on my first day. Then jumped pretty quickly to 120 then 140. Stalled at 140 while grip caught up and now progressed each of the last few sessions. Cucumber gonna shoot me for no chalk yet

I bought liquid chalk, and its great. It's also cool to know that when the alcohol evaporates slowly, your hands gradually turn white!

I definitely would have let go for my 4th and 5th reps without it.

I followed the program and have since increased 2.5kg each workout without fail (though I think I did once when I attempted to increase by 5kg, and my grip just sucked).
Reply 149
I bought liquid chalk, and its great. It's also cool to know that when the alcohol evaporates slowly, your hands gradually turn white!

I definitely would have let go for my 4th and 5th reps without it.

I followed the program and have since increased 2.5kg each workout without fail (though I think I did once when I attempted to increase by 5kg, and my grip just sucked).

Yeah. I increase more when I feel I'm capable, because with the DL I'd never done it before so the 100 starting was more because it was a nice number than it was the correct percentage of my 1RM. I'm now at the level where the 2.5kg increase is good, but still reckon I could jump by 5 and get 5 reps.
Well I'm stronger than the both of you with around the same sized arms (both even at 14.2).

102.5kg bench 1RM
60kg*5 strict OHP

Don't track anything for curls but my rows and chins are decent (+30kg for 5 deadhang chins and definitely 80kg+ 5RM for rows- no idea really).

And wtf teh forum I swear yours were 13.5 a couple of weeks ago??

Also I swear I remember you saying yours were 15 inches Illusionz (down from 15.2 after a cut and you were panicking or is that someone else and I'm getting confused)?

Forever watching you

Nice going mate the carb (alcohol) loading did wonders! :smile: my bench still seperates us though :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by In One Ear
Well I'm stronger than the both of you with around the same sized arms (both even at 14.2).

102.5kg bench 1RM
60kg*5 strict OHP

Don't track anything for curls but my rows and chins are decent (+30kg for 5 deadhang chins and definitely 80kg+ 5RM for rows- no idea really).

Also I swear I remember you saying yours were 15 inches Illusionz (down from 15.2 after a cut and you were panicking or is that someone else and I'm getting confused)?

maybe they've grown -_-

these are flexed btw.

I'll have to measure again without flexing to see if they've actually grown from 13.5.
Reply 153
Original post by Angry cucumber
Forever watching you

Nice going mate the carb (alcohol) loading did wonders! :smile: my bench still seperates us though :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah your bench is impressive. I'll get there. Shame you can't deadlift at the moment as I'd probs be close to you if you were.
Reply 154

Nah I've never been 15inches. Unless posting whilst drunk. I've also never been on a cut so almost certainly someone else.

102.5kg bench 1RM
60kg*5 strict OHP

That's Implication :smile:

And illusionz, my DL would be a bit ahead I pulled 135 for 5 in December. 3 months worth of gains lost. I do have chalk though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 156
Original post by Angry cucumber
That's Implication :smile:

And illusionz, my DL would be a bit ahead I pulled 135 for 5 in December. 3 months worth of gains lost. I do have chalk though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh yeah you'd deffo be ahead. But I'd be closer than our benches are :tongue: My grip is getting much better. Got 120 DOH for 3 today during warmups which I was pleased with. Surprising how quickly it improved.
Reply 157
rubbish session. Hardly ate yesterday and was feeling really lethargic and tired. Didn't want to go but forced myself to.

Squat 125 5x5 PB Downhill from here

Bench 72.5 3x5, then 3 PB of sorts, in that never benched 72.5 before but not a single smooth rep. They were all pretty grindy. 60 in the warm up felt heavy as ****.

Row 72.5 x5. Felt like they were all half reps. Dropped to 70kg 3x5.

Just changed to a SS style workout when bench died as felt so weak and pissed off.
I know them feels, bad day yet PBs :tongue:

Good going :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 159
Back from skiing. Itching to get back in the gym. Been smashing my quads for a week of pretty hard skiing so hopefully squats are ready for the gainzzz

Quick Reply

Latest