The Student Room Group

Anybody want to help me with a decision? Just need an opinion or twenty

Hello there :smile:

So I applied for and English and Film Studies course at several London Unis. Got accepted to RHUL, Brunel and KCL. The first two are unconditional and the KCL offer is only subject to me getting a certain IELTS score, as I'm not from the UK. I already have done an IELTS test and have the needed score. So...technically I guess you could look at it as an unconditional too.

Now, I never expected to be accepted to King's. I mean, I applied because I figured "might as well, I'm pretty sure I'll be accepted to one of the others". I went and looked at Rhul's campus last week for an applicant visit day and I absolutely love the place. Accommodation is beautiful, like I never thought university dorms could be such pretty rooms. And generally I just really liked it.

Now my question is, I guess, am I right in feeling like a bit of an idiot if I decline KCL for RHUL's sake? Because King's has such a reputation for being a great university, would I have better chances for finding a job after uni, is the course amazing etc.? Is anyone here at King's doing English (with Film or without) and can tell me how they like it? Since I'm going back to Austria on Saturday I don't have time to go look at KCL, which is a shame. I wish I had a bit more confidence and didn't just assume I wouldn't get accepted. :/

Thank you so much in advance :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's Thursday. If you're going back to Austria on Saturday then of course you have time to go and see KCL, and you must. It is an important decision and you need to be able to compare the two.

As for your choice, you have talked about reputation (KCL) and that you loved RH, but which course/syllabus do you prefer?

I'd go for happiness and course every time. You do have to spend 3 years there.
Reply 2
Original post by Crumpet1
It's Thursday. If you're going back to Austria on Saturday then of course you have time to go and see KCL, and you must. It is an important decision and you need to be able to compare the two.

As for your choice, you have talked about reputation (KCL) and that you loved RH, but which course/syllabus do you prefer?

I'd go for happiness and course every time. You do have to spend 3 years there.

Thanks for replying so quickly.

Yeah, you're right. I just assumed that there wouldn't really be a chance to see it properly on such short notice, since visit days and such probably won't be...well...tomorrow. But I looked and there's a possibility of doing self guided tours with info material the university provides, which I suppose is better than nothing, by far :smile: so I'll do that tomorrow.

as for the course,I really am not sure yet, I have looked into both courses, before applying obviously, but I haven't compared just the two of them, so I'll arm myself with coffee and do that today.
Reply 3
Original post by alittlehazy
Thanks for replying so quickly.

Yeah, you're right. I just assumed that there wouldn't really be a chance to see it properly on such short notice, since visit days and such probably won't be...well...tomorrow. But I looked and there's a possibility of doing self guided tours with info material the university provides, which I suppose is better than nothing, by far :smile: so I'll do that tomorrow.

as for the course,I really am not sure yet, I have looked into both courses, before applying obviously, but I haven't compared just the two of them, so I'll arm myself with coffee and do that today.

There are campus tours on Friday afternoons for all the campuses. Normally you would go here and book a place:
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/campuslife/visit/tours.aspx

However, it doesn't seem to be booking for tomorrow but I bet if you call they'll fit you on one.
Reply 4
Incidentally, the graduate prospects for English students at KCL and RH are identical on The Complete University Guide (both 73%). (Usual disclaimer about unreliability of league tables etc.) So once you've seen them both, just go with your gut.
Reply 5
There are campus tours on Friday afternoons for all the campuses. Normally you would go here and book a place:
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/campuslife/visit/tours.aspx

However, it doesn't seem to be booking for tomorrow but I bet if you call they'll fit you on one.

yeah I already emailed them about whether there is one happening tomorrow and it's just too short notice to book online. I'll call in an hour or two if they haven't gotten back to me.
Reply 6
Incidentally, the graduate prospects for English students at KCL and RH are identical on The Complete University Guide (both 73%). (Usual disclaimer about unreliability of league tables etc.) So once you've seen them both, just go with your gut.

Yeah, I will. I'll make up my mind after I've seen the KCL campus tomorrow.

I appreciate you looking into this. Lovely to get really helpful replies :smile:
Try going on this website to help you compare the courses from the point of view of students http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/. I thought my course sounded great and I liked the university. This website pretty much reflects how I feel about the overall experience now that I'm here so it seems quite useful
Reply 8
Original post by sliceofcake
Try going on this website to help you compare the courses from the point of view of students http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/. I thought my course sounded great and I liked the university. This website pretty much reflects how I feel about the overall experience now that I'm here so it seems quite useful

oh thanks for the link :smile: I have looked at it. Very helpful.
I just keep seeing that student satisfaction at RHUL is soooo much higher. Which is definitely an important factor...hm
Reply 9
Ask some searching questions about accommodation and commuting today, OP. That will be a big difference between the two universities.
A very significant difference is that one of them is in central London and the other is in deepest Surrey, outside the M25 even, and certainly nowhere near London. This will make a major difference to your lifestyle and opportunities over your undergraduate period which may or not be important to you.
Reply 11
Ask some searching questions about accommodation and commuting today, OP. That will be a big difference between the two universities.

Yes I definitely will. How nice accommodation is really is a big part for me as I won't be able to go home for most of the holidays, as flying around is a it expensive :/
Reply 12
Original post by Good bloke
A very significant difference is that one of them is in central London and the other is in deepest Surrey, outside the M25 even, and certainly nowhere near London. This will make a major difference to your lifestyle and opportunities over your undergraduate period which may or not be important to you.

Yeah, this is the main factor of me being indecisive. Takes about 40 mins to get to RHUL from Waterloo which isn't horrible, I suppose. But of course it isn't in London at all. And I do love big cities...
Reply 13
Yes I definitely will. How nice accommodation is really is a big part for me as I won't be able to go home for most of the holidays, as flying around is a it expensive :/

If expense is an issue, you may find RH a fraction cheaper than central London especially as there won't be commuting/getting around costs. Plus RH is very close to Heathrow for getting home which might be relevant for you.
Reply 14
If expense is an issue, you may find RH a fraction cheaper than central London especially as there won't be commuting/getting around costs. Plus RH is very close to Heathrow for getting home which might be relevant for you.

Yes, the room at RHUL which I'd put as my preferred accommodation is one of the most expensive/nice ones there (put some work into saving up so it's manageable even without a maintenance grant, which EU students don't get) and it's still around the same price or slightly cheaper than most of the King's accommodation. And yeah, constant topping up of Oysters or buying travel cards would add up quite quickly I imagine.

Will have to look into what student discounts etc there are for train journeys into London. See if that works out cheaper...though I imagine it probably will, even if come into London several times a month.
Reply 15
Yes, the room at RHUL which I'd put as my preferred accommodation is one of the most expensive/nice ones there (put some work into saving up so it's manageable even without a maintenance grant, which EU students don't get) and it's still around the same price or slightly cheaper than most of the King's accommodation. And yeah, constant topping up of Oysters or buying travel cards would add up quite quickly I imagine.

Will have to look into what student discounts etc there are for train journeys into London. See if that works out cheaper...though I imagine it probably will, even if come into London several times a month.

There is the student rail card, which costs £30 per year or £70 for three years. That gives you 1/3 off rail fares. I bet you don't go into London that often though, you'll get involved in what's going on at the university instead. RH has the usual plethora of clubs and societies.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
There is the student radio card, which costs £30 per year or £70 for three years. That gives you 1/3 off rail fares. I bet you don't go into London that often though, you'll get involved in what's going on at the university instead. RH has the usual plethora of clubs and societies.

Yeah, you're probably right. Though I do have a boyfriend in London. But I suppose..as the one of us with a job I could make him travel out to Surrey rather than the other way around :P

Ah okay, that sounds pretty good. 1/3 off all journeys. Thanks
Reply 17
Yeah, you're probably right. Though I do have a boyfriend in London. But I suppose..as the one of us with a job I could make him travel out to Surrey rather than the other way around :P

Ah okay, that sounds pretty good. 1/3 off all journeys. Thanks

Well then Hazy, what's your gut telling you, now that you've seen both?
Reply 18
Well then Hazy, what's your gut telling you, now that you've seen both?

Well then Crumpet, my gut and heart are pretty set on Rhul. I feel like, coming here with no family anywhere near and only one friend and one boyfriend (plural of boyfriends would be a bit much :P) it'll be quite important to go to a uni which is a little more intimate. The rooms are beautiful and I think I'd feel at home there. Plus, spending less than my entire life savings on uni accommodation and topping up my Oyster card, I might actually be able to live somewhere half way decent when I (as is currently the plan) move to London after uni.

So...Royal Holloway it is. Unless I change my mind for some unfathomable reason :smile:
Reply 19
That's good, I'm glad that - having seen both - one of them really stood out for you. I hope you have a really lovely time at university :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending