The Student Room Group

Wearing your teams home shirt in a rival city ?

Hi

It was just the other day i wore my home teams shirt in leeds city centre as i was walking there i got a lot of evil looks and ppl swearing at me. On the train to leeds i heard one guy say hes going to kick the **** out of me when i get off :confused: wtf. I didnt even say anything leeds were not even playing at home. Does this happen to anyone else if they wear a rival shirt anywhere ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by IMBCFC
Hi

It was just the other day i wore my home teams shirt in leeds city centre as i was walking there i got a lot of evil looks and ppl swearing at me. On the train to leeds i heard one guy say hes going to kick the **** out of me when i get off :confused: wtf. I didnt even say anything leeds were not even playing at home. Does this happen to anyone else if they wear a rival shirt anywhere ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Grim up North innit, that kind of thing would happen in London only on a matchday in some rough pub near the ground.
Reply 2
Yeah, that's northerners for you.

Separate question - I'm going to see a friendly - England V Peru and I happen to have a Peru football shirt (I'm English & GF is Peruvian). Do you think I'll get any issues?

My feeling is I won't cos it's a friendly, most English people probably don't even know where Peru is and it's more of a joke thing...
Reply 3
That's Leeds for you. Leeds are a pretty scary club! Most other cities you would be fine though
Reply 4
I wear my Blues shirt anywhere I don't generally have a problem, mostly banter, but with some clubs like Leeds it depends on the history related to firms and stuff, Leeds don't like us, they never have, hence the massive riot fight in early 2000's which many Leeds fans are still upset about.
Reply 5
Original post by Steezy

No, Leeds are just a rough club. I wore my Birmingham shirt in Sheffield and was fine.

Separate question - I'm going to see a friendly - England V Peru and I happen to have a Peru football shirt (I'm English & GF is Peruvian). Do you think I'll get any issues?

My feeling is I won't cos it's a friendly, most English people probably don't even know where Peru is and it's more of a joke thing...

You'll be fine
Reply 6
Who wears football shirts unless you are going to a match?
Reply 7
Original post by Steezy

Are you going in the England end? You'll most likely be fine, but the stewards might not be too happy if you're wearing a Peru shirt in the England end.
Reply 8
Original post by pane123
Who wears football shirts unless you are going to a match?

Or playing football, or another sport that it might be acceptable. Or just casually because you want to, or for a specific reason.

Although I get why you wouldn't want to wear your horrible Rangers shirt about the place :lol:
Reply 9
Original post by Mechie
Or playing football, or another sport that it might be acceptable. Or just casually because you want to, or for a specific reason.

Although I get why you wouldn't want to wear your horrible Rangers shirt about the place :lol:

Wearing a football shirt casually is a weird thing to do once you are older than 7 or 8.

I wear football shirts when I play football, but I have never had to walk through a town centre to get there.
Reply 10
Original post by pane123
Wearing a football shirt casually is a weird thing to do once you are older than 7 or 8.

I wear football shirts when I play football, but I have never had to walk through a town centre to get there.

In your opinion it is. Other people might like it.

Well, there's different circumstances for everybody, and specific reasons people might want to wear a football shirt outside the sphere of football. For example I once wore a football shirt to church.
grown men shouldnt be wearing football shirts .
Reply 12
Original post by Mechie
In your opinion it is. Other people might like it.

Well, there's different circumstances for everybody, and specific reasons people might want to wear a football shirt outside the sphere of football. For example I once wore a football shirt to church.

Going to church in itself is weird, doing so in a football shirt takes it to a whole new level.

Most people who wear football shirts in public probably can't afford other clothes, in which case they shouldn't have bought the football shirt in the first place.
Reply 13
Original post by pane123
Going to church in itself is weird, doing so in a football shirt takes it to a whole new level.

Most people who wear football shirts in public probably can't afford other clothes, in which case they shouldn't have bought the football shirt in the first place.

I was asked to wear it. Also, I didn't ask you to comment on my going to church, save that for other threads :smile:

I think that's an incredibly ignorant attitude to have. It may be the case for the average Old Firm supporter, but for nice clubs it's different. Someone on my university course quite often wears football shirts, and I don't think he's weird, or poor, or anything else. I just think he's a guy that likes wearing football shirts.
Reply 14
Original post by Mechie
Are you going in the England end? You'll most likely be fine, but the stewards might not be too happy if you're wearing a Peru shirt in the England end.

Yeah you're right... I just read the T's & C's, it says anyone found supporting the opposition in the England end can be ejected... Maybe I won't wear it then. Or at least under a jumper.
Reply 15
Original post by Mechie
I was asked to wear it. Also, I didn't ask you to comment on my going to church, save that for other threads :smile:

I think that's an incredibly ignorant attitude to have. It may be the case for the average Old Firm supporter, but for nice clubs it's different. Someone on my university course quite often wears football shirts, and I don't think he's weird, or poor, or anything else. I just think he's a guy that likes wearing football shirts.

He is weird.
Reply 16
Original post by pane123
He is weird.

How can you ever say he's weird, you don't even know the guy. You're just saying because he likes wearing football shirts? How strange. Then again, something I might suspect from one of followers of that deadco zombie club.
Reply 17
How I love rugby for this reason.
Reply 18
Original post by Mechie
How can you ever say he's weird, you don't even know the guy. You're just saying because he likes wearing football shirts? How strange. Then again, something I might suspect from one of followers of that deadco zombie club.

I have never met a man who enjoys putting hamsters up his bottom, but I can assure you that I think anyone who does this is weird.

"Deadco zombie club"? That doesn't even make sense.

Grown men wearing football shirts is generally regarded as odd. If this weren't the case then I'm sure I would see far more people wearing one.
Reply 19
Original post by redferry
That's Leeds for you. Leeds are a pretty scary club! Most other cities you would be fine though

I thought leeds didnt even see us as rivals

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest