The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lantan
I don't know it it's gonna help. I'm very tired of getting my confidence trampled over time after time.

I know how that feels. You have my sympathy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lantan
I don't know it it's gonna help. I'm very tired of getting my confidence trampled over time after time.

Omg Shelly congrats :smile: well done!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3102
Original post by sunfowers01
I know how that feels. You have my sympathy

Posted from TSR Mobile

However, I've managed to realise something just now.

Because I'm a very thin-skinned person originally, I take so many things to heart and let them affect me. That's a waste of internal resources.
Therefore, I need to consciously learn to be thick-skinned and snap out of the negative pattern of thinking. Forgive anyone who tramples on my confidence - chances are, they don't know what they're doing, and even if they are - you're still stronger. Care less. Look forward instead of looking back and dwelling on those failings. Take the advice, tips, whatever useful - and do it next time.
Smile.
Let go!
They don't deserve so much of your attention.
I hope I make sense?..

All of this weird eureka after reading this dry article:

http://thenadd.org/modal/bulletins/v8n2a2~.htm
Original post by Shelly_x
So I was offered a job today at my 2nd placement school! So happy!

Congrats! That's so amazing! Do you like the school?

I had a uni session today about jobs and think I've messed up my applications by putting some vital info in my cover letter but not my statement, which may explain my lack of interviews so far .

Wow. Congratulations. Tell us more. How it come about??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TraineeLynsey
Congrats! That's so amazing! Do you like the school?

I had a uni session today about jobs and think I've messed up my applications by putting some vital info in my cover letter but not my statement, which may explain my lack of interviews so far .

Yep, I loved it. Look up executive summaries, they're amazing and they've never failed me.

Original post by qwerty_mad
Wow. Congratulations. Tell us more. How it come about??

Posted from TSR Mobile

They had a vacancy so I applied and must have impressed at the interview! :biggrin:
Yep, I loved it. Look up executive summaries, they're amazing and they've never failed me

Yeah I'm going to look at those for my next applications. So annoyed - it never occurred to me that the cover letter would be detached from the application in shortlisting so some of my evidence that I meet the person spec won't have been seen since I put it on the letter.
Reply 3107

congratulations!! This is fab news - lovely to hear all your hard work is paying off! Not only that but they have seen you at work so know how good you are!
Reply 3108
Original post by Squoosh25
We get bursaries though. It costs 9K, and I get a 9K bursary (for secondary English). Some people - who do short-supply subjects like science and MFL - get given twice that amount.

Not all subjects get a bursary - I'm looking to do RE and I will get sweet FA!
Anyone who knows the first thing about education or training knows that students can not learn if they are "stressed". ie over worked, rushed, harassed, tired, over demanded. Yet the teacher's course does exactly that. What message is that giving to teachers ?
Original post by TraineeLynsey
Yeah I'm going to look at those for my next applications. So annoyed - it never occurred to me that the cover letter would be detached from the application in shortlisting so some of my evidence that I meet the person spec won't have been seen since I put it on the letter.

Oh heck. Most applications have nothing at all to do with the candidate. They are generally about "empowering" the person applying the filter.
Original post by freida20
Not all subjects get a bursary - I'm looking to do RE and I will get sweet FA!

Quite rightly. Religious studies are a blot on democracy.
Reply 3112
Original post by hippygirl
Thanks for all of your comments I feel a good bit more informed. I currently rent property in the Scottish borders where I am at uni and my loan pays for that and I just have the fear that I will not escape student debt! This year I plan to live in between home and at my bfs in Glasgow. I guess it is just one more year of debt and then the probation year which is paid so that will be good knowing that money is mine and I don't have to pay it back :-D I feel for you guys in England 9k is ****ing crazy!!! I think if that was me, the idea of going to uni would be out of the window! I will look into the loan a lot more. I'm scrimping and saving as it is so without it would be impossible and even though I will be living at home this time, my mum and dad aren't well off enough to provide for me at this age which I have never expected, I've always been really self reliant. Just that this is the first time I feel really stuck with this whole money thing but more and more a loan does seem like the only valid option right now like you guys say its either not doable or it is at a really small amount of hours which would probs only earn me enough for traveling to uni . sorry for the long post aha I guess I am still working it out. Thanks :smile:

thank you for asking this question. I am also considering continuing my work. My initial term in uni will be 3 days and the other 2 days will be study days (studying, reading, preparing - I assume - but probably full on) and I had been considering using those 2 days to continue working.

In my case though this will be in addition to any student loans and grants I can get. Once I am in placements I would only be able to do weekends. The more I think about it the more I think it will be impossible to juggle everything but I am petrified of not paying my bills.
I have 2 children and a mortgage and my hubby does not earn a huge amount. When I apply for loans and grant, the money I earn up to sept and his money will both be taken into account. I will get probably about £5-7,000 if I am lucky and this just doesn't seem a liveable amount with all my financial commitments!!!

Are their other routes I can take to get money to live on? I am not eligible for a bursary.
Reply 3113
Original post by Old_Simon
Quite rightly. Religious studies are a blot on democracy.

why?
Original post by freida20
why?

Education can not get involved in religion in a multi cultural society.

There is a difference though between educating people about religion and indoctrinating them into a religion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by myblueheaven339
There is a difference though between educating people about religion and indoctrinating them into a religion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not much. It is girt about with way too much controversy even as an "academic" subject. It isn't. Christianity is the worst. Adam & Eve aged eight ? wtf.

Do you even know what Religious Education is?

It's not just teaching about one religion or teaching that one is right. It's about giving pupils an understanding of beliefs and cultures other than their own.

I certainly think it was valuable in my (99.9% white British) school - many people will have gone out to work in different areas where there are Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs, etc. and RE was the only time when issues to do with diversity were really discussed at school . Otherwise you would have basically not known that other belief systems existed.

In addition to understanding minority cultures, I also think it's important to have a good knowledge of Christianity as it has had a lot of influence on our culture (for better or worse). You can't understand a lot of literature or history without at least some understanding of the religious context that influenced them, and the same goes for events and ideology in the world today.

Personally I'm an atheist and I think most people at my school (and at the school I currently teach in) were either atheist, agnostic, totally indifferent or nominally Christian with very little interest - with a few churchgoers here and there perhaps. But this isn't the pattern worldwide and we can't attempt to understand society without understanding the belief systems behind it.
Original post by myrtille
Do you even know what Religious Education is?

It's not just teaching about one religion or teaching that one is right. It's about giving pupils an understanding of beliefs and cultures other than their own.

I certainly think it was valuable in my (99.9% white British) school - many people will have gone out to work in different areas where there are Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs, etc. and RE was the only time when issues to do with diversity were really discussed at school . Otherwise you would have basically not known that other belief systems existed.

In addition to understanding minority cultures, I also think it's important to have a good knowledge of Christianity as it has had a lot of influence on our culture (for better or worse). You can't understand a lot of literature or history without at least some understanding of the religious context that influenced them, and the same goes for events and ideology in the world today.

Personally I'm an atheist and I think most people at my school (and at the school I currently teach in) were either atheist, agnostic, totally indifferent or nominally Christian with very little interest - with a few churchgoers here and there perhaps. But this isn't the pattern worldwide and we can't attempt to understand society without understanding the belief systems behind it.

There is virtually zero educational value in learning what a robed bearded dude wrote on parchment thousands or hundreds of years ago. It is all rubbish. We do not need to "respect" what is patent nonsense. Introducing those subjects before a child has developed his critical faculties is ridiculous.
There is virtually zero educational value in learning what a robed bearded dude wrote on parchment thousands or hundreds of years ago. It is all rubbish. We do not need to "respect" what is patent nonsense. Introducing those subjects before a child has developed his critical faculties is ridiculous.

I completely disagree.

By introducing children to the idea that there are lots of different religions and beliefs, I think this can actually enhance their "critical faculties" compared to if they are brought up believing there is one absolute truth (whichever religion their family happens to follow).

I never said we needed to respect all religious beliefs - that some are obviously nonsense doesn't negate the fact that they are important as a social phenomenen. Ignoring the reality that religion plays a huge role in the lives of millions of people is like sticking your fingers in your ears and closing your eyes whilst shouting "not listening!". What are you so afraid of?

There is no intrinsic value in studying what "a robed bearded dude wrote on parchment thousands or hundreds of years ago", but if those words have had a huge impact on society and culture across the centuries and continue to do so, then it is worthwhile for that reason.

Children are growing up surrounded by competing ideologies, so surely it's better to encounter them in a learning environment where they are open to discussion and looked at properly than just via stereotypes (Muslim terrorists, American creationist "Bible basher" types, etc.).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending