The Student Room Group

Distance Learning... On your own!

Hi Guys,

I'm 17, I'm into computers and programming and that kind of techy stuff.

I completed an apprenticeship in IT (At Level 2, however I passed with flying colours) and I now work in IT support at a global scale company.

I feel like I'm being barred access to things like degree's and public sector jobs because I never went through the normal academic route of A-Levels, which is why I'm looking to do A-Levels at home. I was going to use a company like ICS however having looked through a few posts I have found you can just buy the exam books yourself and then go through a local exam centre to take the exams.

Has anyone ever done this?
Id prefer it because of the lower costs and I wouldn't need a tutor because I have people with years and years of experience at my work within my field.

Any ideas how to go about it, and how to make sure you aren't missing vital points that appear within the exams?

Thank You!
Reply 1
What A Levels would you do?
Reply 2
Original post by alow
What A Levels would you do?

I've been looking through the past papers and I'd only do two A Levels to start with, computing (aqa) and Information and Communication Technology, also aqa... I can answer 70% of the questions on the ICT A-Level now without any need to look into them...

Obviously I'd still go and do all my learning before I took the exams!
Reply 3
Original post by BlakeWills
I've been looking through the past papers and I'd only do two A Levels to start with, computing (aqa) and Information and Communication Technology, also aqa... I can answer 70% of the questions on the ICT A-Level now without any need to look into them...

Obviously I'd still go and do all my learning before I took the exams!

It could be worth also doing maths because it sounds like you really don't have much to learn if you can already answer that many questions.
Reply 4
Original post by alow
It could be worth also doing maths because it sounds like you really don't have much to learn if you can already answer that many questions.

Maths is definitely my down-fall. I managed to scrape a C grade at GCSE, I'm guessing I'll need it if I go into software Engineering though!

Do they do any A-Levels in programming? -I cant find any.
Reply 5
Original post by BlakeWills
Maths is definitely my down-fall. I managed to scrape a C grade at GCSE, I'm guessing I'll need it if I go into software Engineering though!

Do they do any A-Levels in programming? -I cant find any.

Yeah I was thinking it would pretty much be a requirement to go into anything like that.

Not as far as I know. The closest thing would be computing.
Reply 6
As well as teaching yourself from textbooks you might want to check out edX, coursera & udacity they all offer online distance learning courses for free.
Reply 7
Iam currently studying AS Computing, i was wondering if anyone had any methods of effective studying for this subject? I created revision cards and memorised everything i need to know - when I took my first mock I got a grade U I was struggling to understand why

Quick Reply

Latest