The Student Room Group

a level choices

hello:smile: I am choosing my a levels soon. I think I am definitely going to study history, theatre studies and English literature. However, I need opinions on my forth subject; biology or French? I am beyond stuck so I ask for your help...so what do you think? please justify your answers thanks x
Reply 1
i'd say french 'fits' better with your others, however that's not really a reason on its own.
to do english or history at uni, some RGroup unis say modern foreign languages can be useful (but not essential).
Biology is said to be one of the most content heavy subjects according to a tutor at my college. and if you wanted to continue to do biology or another science at uni, its basically pointless taking biology alone, as almost every course asks for chemistry too. good luck x
Original post by MNem
i'd say french 'fits' better with your others, however that's not really a reason on its own.
to do english or history at uni, some RGroup unis say modern foreign languages can be useful (but not essential).
Biology is said to be one of the most content heavy subjects according to a tutor at my college. and if you wanted to continue to do biology or another science at uni, its basically pointless taking biology alone, as almost every course asks for chemistry too. good luck x

thank you for your answer :smile: I understand that French does complement my other subjects more and although I love the idea to be able to speak another language the reality of it just seems tedious and dare I say it sometimes boring. biology would show that I am not just a linguistic and creative type of person but also a scientific and logically thinker; aware of the world around me. Moreover, the thought of doing 4 essay subjects scares me and the thing about biology is I hate anything that's not human biology(love human detest the ecology drivel) plus the tests are quite specific :frown:
Please more answers would be highly beneficial ! :smile:
which have you preferred through gcse? do the one you like best as you'll probably be more motivated and then get a better grade. :smile:
Original post by ifyouseelaura
which have you preferred through gcse? do the one you like best as you'll probably be more motivated and then get a better grade. :smile:

Funny thing this because i hated biology in year11 but love it this year andfrench is just okay...i dont mind it but i suppose at gcse its a memorization task than actually learning a language hopefully that would change at alevel ?
Original post by cookiecrumblexx
Please more answers would be highly beneficial ! :smile:

Do you know which exam board you would be with for biology? :smile:

I'm currently doing A2 Biology, History and English Literature, and Biology is definitely a nice break from all of the essay writing. It's a really interesting subject and I'd recommend it to anyone! I'm afraid it's likely that there will be a bit of ecology, however my board had only a small amount so it wouldn't be drastic. Plus, some of it is actually quite fun :tongue:

Go with the subject you think you'll enjoy most, that's so important!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
thank you for your answer :smile: I understand that French does complement my other subjects more and although I love the idea to be able to speak another language the reality of it just seems tedious and dare I say it sometimes boring. biology would show that I am not just a linguistic and creative type of person but also a scientific and logically thinker; aware of the world around me. Moreover, the thought of doing 4 essay subjects scares me and the thing about biology is I hate anything that's not human biology(love human detest the ecology drivel) plus the tests are quite specific :frown:

Yeah I totally get your point and i felt the same last year when i was choosing subjects (my answer was more just putting forward the arguments haha) yeah, strangely i forgot to mention, its probably most important to do the subject you think you might enjoy the most! especially since at A Level there's a fair amount of self study. I do eng lit, history, politics and maths, and Maths is an absolute godsend (no essays!!). like you i was on the verge of taking biology, then saw how many plants were involved so i was like hellll no :tongue:
hello:smile: I am choosing my a levels soon. I think I am definitely going to study history, theatre studies and English literature. However, I need opinions on my forth subject; biology or French? I am beyond stuck so I ask for your help...so what do you think? please justify your answers thanks x

If the main reason why you'd choose Biology is to make yourself look well rounded, I wouldn't choose it. I really don't think that doing Biology would give you any tangible benefits when applying to university unless it's something science related. I don't know how human-oriented the biology course is, but there is definitely going to be a significant non-human aspect and there's little point doing Biology if you hate that.

What are you thinking of doing at uni.
...french is just okay...i dont mind it but i suppose at gcse its a memorization task than actually learning a language hopefully that would change at alevel ?

It most certainly will, I don't know which board you would be doing but at WJEC everything is unseen. The controlled assessments are a distant memory as you have two unseen oral cards (each consists of a picture and 3 questions) to talk about in the oral exam and an essay to write from a choice of 4 for the writing. Again, this is specific for WJEC.

Can you not do Human Biology? My old school offered it, maybe a college near you does too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest