The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Wow, I actually feel quite strongly about this for a French teacher! Maybe I should diversify into RE teaching as well...

Anyway, I think we should let this topic return to its real purpose - you can always take the debate over to the Religion forum if you wish.
Reply 3121
Original post by myrtille
Wow, I actually feel quite strongly about this for a French teacher! Maybe I should diversify into RE teaching as well...

Anyway, I think we should let this topic return to its real purpose - you can always take the debate over to the Religion forum if you wish.

lol! I got distracted and you saved me from having to reply - good answers! Wasn 't sure if old fart - oops - old simon :wink: - was jesting or just ignorant!

RE is such a diverse subject - study of religions and cultures is just a part of it - ethics, philosophy, enquiry - I'm pretty sure old fart oops (sorry again) Old simon would probably actually really enjoy debating and investigating the philosophy of religion!! :wink:

Too much to worry about on a Friday night though!

back to the stresses of PGCE - any advice on grants or money that will supplement the student loan?? I don't think its much to live on?
Original post by Old_Simon
Education can not get involved in religion in a multi cultural society.

It is the very fact that we live in a multicultural society that makes studying RE so important. Nowhere within the curriculum are students indoctrinated or told what to believe, or indeed that they have to necessarily "respect" religion.
Religious Studies in secondary schools is an incredibly diverse subject, covering moral and social issues from no particular religious viewpoint - it allows students the time to consider things they often never have the time nor inclination to consider outside of these lessons.
To allow students to go out into the world ignorant of the myriad of belief systems in the world and the effect they have had and continue to have in shaping civilizations and cultures would be a huge shame and leave a big gap in their general understanding of the world and how it came to be the way it is today.

I could write more but I don't want this to turn into an essay and as Myrtille said, it would further derail the thread (apologies, not another word I promise!)

Original post by freida20

back to the stresses of PGCE - any advice on grants or money that will supplement the student loan?? I don't think its much to live on?

Hi Fredia, have you heard of the Keswick Hall Trust? http://www.cstg.org.uk/grants/pgce-bursaries/
They provide grants (non-repayable) to PGCE RE students. I am in the process of applying so don't know if everyone who applies gets one, but it's worth a try!
Reply 3123
Hi Fredia, have you heard of the Keswick Hall Trust? http://www.cstg.org.uk/grants/pgce-bursaries/
They provide grants (non-repayable) to PGCE RE students. I am in the process of applying so don't know if everyone who applies gets one, but it's worth a try!

thanks - yes I have - once I have my offer I will apply - what is the application like? I think they have limited funds so it must be a limited amount of applicants will get one. Do you have to specify how much you are applying for and justify it? Thanks for the tip.
Where will you be studying?
Original post by Shelly_x
So I was offered a job today at my 2nd placement school! So happy!

So delighted to see this! I bet you're over the moon and you will know a lot about the school already so that's a nice bonus. Well done and go and celebrate!
Reply 3125
Original post by freida20

thanks - yes I have - once I have my offer I will apply - what is the application like? I think they have limited funds so it must be a limited amount of applicants will get one. Do you have to specify how much you are applying for and justify it? Thanks for the tip.
Where will you be studying?

I would contact Student finance to discuss your circumstances. I know for dependent applicants if their parents/whoever they're depending on's income will change dramatically in the year they are studying they can fill in a special form. Not sure if this applies for independent candidates regarding their own income but definitely worth checking.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know how common it is for schools to ask for references before shortlisting? The job I've applied for- they've contacted my referees asking for a reference (last wednesday), and saying the interview is next wednesday (although not sure how that'll work with the strike going on), but they haven't contacted me yet :confused: Now I've no idea what to think
Reply 3127
Original post by Aleeece123
Does anyone know how common it is for schools to ask for references before shortlisting? The job I've applied for- they've contacted my referees asking for a reference (last wednesday), and saying the interview is next wednesday (although not sure how that'll work with the strike going on), but they haven't contacted me yet :confused: Now I've no idea what to think

It's entirely up to the school. Some will ask for references as soon as they get applications so they have extra things to go on/to avoid delays, but others might check them later. Certainly I wouldn't panic about it, though I would be prepared for an interview on Wednesday should you be offered one.

The school may not be closed for the strike, or if they are they may not want to see you teach as part of the interview.

xxx
Original post by Aleeece123

Not very common. Its likely that they've already shortlisted you and just haven't told you yet! However, I have heard of some schools doing this which is a bit odd.
I really am losing the will to write any more applications. So far all have been in vain. They're so exhausting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qwerty_mad
I really am losing the will to write any more applications. So far all have been in vain. They're so exhausting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Completely agree. I applied to a school I REALLY liked last week and on the visit the head said we'd find out yesterday if we'd been shortlisted. Nothing. I felt like the visit went really well and am pretty gutted not to have even been shortlisted.
I just haven't even found any jobs near me :frown: hoping and praying my placement school decides to create a new post however if they don't hurry up I'll be applying to any job I can find near me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3132
I feel your frustration - it is such a laborious process to write out every one of them, when you are already pressed for time on a daily basis!!
Original post by lantan
I feel your frustration - it is such a laborious process to write out every one of them, when you are already pressed for time on a daily basis!!

I know when I applied I just printed the PS out and attached it as a separate thing. Some schools may specify a handwritten one but I doubt many would. And a lot of the PS can be adapted - you don't need to be rewriting the whole thing from scratch each time
Reply 3134
Original post by *Interrobang*
I know when I applied I just printed the PS out and attached it as a separate thing. Some schools may specify a handwritten one but I doubt many would. And a lot of the PS can be adapted - you don't need to be rewriting the whole thing from scratch each time

I don't think they meant handwritten, I think they just meant re-writing it to suit the school.

Yes, the stuff about your passions and key strengths can be somewhat re-used but showing you meet the school's person specification has to be pretty much re-done every time, and you have to show things which are very personal to the school along with the knowledge of them and their ethos. Plus if you are applying and not getting interviewed then you're probably going to want to change your PS as it's probably holding you back. So until you get an interview you'll probably be making big changes with each application.

I HATE job applications!

xxx
Anyone else on the PGCE feel their second placement is very disjointed so far? I haven't actually taught yet, will do tomorrow but Wednesday is a strike day, Thursday the school has arranged for us to go to an SEN school for the day and two of the classes I'll be taking on have got their assessments.

We're only in this week and next then off for two weeks for Easter yet our Uni says our third review will be the week after we come back...I'll have hardly taught by then yet am meant to have shown updated proof of meeting all the standards.

Our assignment is due in about 6 weeks time and it involves us having to create a SOW and teaching 6-8 hours then reflecting on it.

Just feel like there's not enough time at the moment on top of having to start all over again effectively and learn about 90 different names.
Original post by Steveluis10
Anyone else on the PGCE feel their second placement is very disjointed so far? I haven't actually taught yet, will do tomorrow but Wednesday is a strike day, Thursday the school has arranged for us to go to an SEN school for the day and two of the classes I'll be taking on have got their assessments.

We're only in this week and next then off for two weeks for Easter yet our Uni says our third review will be the week after we come back...I'll have hardly taught by then yet am meant to have shown updated proof of meeting all the standards.

Our assignment is due in about 6 weeks time and it involves us having to create a SOW and teaching 6-8 hours then reflecting on it.

Just feel like there's not enough time at the moment on top of having to start all over again effectively and learn about 90 different names.

My assignment is pretty much the same as yours! Cannot be bothered with it. I'd much rather spend my time actually teaching rather than worrying about an assignment, urgh.

I feel like my second placement has been amazing in terms of my confidence and progress, however I am beginning to feel slightly burnt out. Can't think of any good ideas for activities, and I over-think every lesson I have to plan. Can't wait for Easter!
Reply 3137
Original post by Steveluis10
Anyone else on the PGCE feel their second placement is very disjointed so far?

So far my return from the 2nd placement to my main school has been a 3 week misery. I honestly don't know how I can hold out until the end of the course.
Everyday is a struggle

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pgce2013
Everyday is a struggle

Just keep counting down the days.

Soon it will be Easter - take about half the time to have a good break, see friends, do something fun, and the other half to get organised and get ahead so it won't be as tough when you go back.

On my PGCE last year I think I'd only taught 2 weeks before Easter (Easter was much earlier in the year) and then had 7 weeks afterwards, but it was much easier for having had a break and getting on top of things a bit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending