The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by skatealexia
Yep you can.

Oh good, it was confusing me! So what would happen then if I got the grades to get in to both and I'd had offers and everything? Would I just go to my firm choice or would I get to pick?
Original post by amylocket
Oh good, it was confusing me! So what would happen then if I got the grades to get in to both and I'd had offers and everything? Would I just go to my firm choice or would I get to pick?

There would be no point in putting an insurance with higher grades than your firm as if you get the grades, you go to your firm :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ebbsy
There would be no point in putting an insurance with higher grades than your firm as if you get the grades, you go to your firm :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, aaaah it's so confusing.
I wasn't worried about getting in to Nottingham really until I read this thread :frown: I have nowhere near enough work experience compared to everybody else...
Like, what if I get rejected by all my choices? What would I do then :frown:
Reply 2684
Okay, aaaah it's so confusing.
I wasn't worried about getting in to Nottingham really until I read this thread :frown: I have nowhere near enough work experience compared to everybody else...

What work experience have you got/are planning to get? To be honest, I spoke to one of the students who was guiding around at Notts last year, and she said that as long as you get their minimum (6 weeks) and you had variety, then you shouldn't fret too much. She said that there's no point in going above and beyond their w/e requirements as it's not as big a factor for them as it is with Liverpool. (Any Notts students, please correct me if I'm wrong!).
Original post by ABC05
What work experience have you got/are planning to get? To be honest, I spoke to one of the students who was guiding around at Notts last year, and she said that as long as you get their minimum (6 weeks) and you had variety, then you shouldn't fret too much. She said that there's no point in going above and beyond their w/e requirements as it's not as big a factor for them as it is with Liverpool. (Any Notts students, please correct me if I'm wrong!).

Well I have 2 weeks SA vet, and lambing and calving planned for this year. I have a day in an abbatoir and some cattery work. I've tried to get dairy farm work but there's just nothing like that round here, I'm really struggling to find stuff :frown:

Relax. You haven't even applied yet so there's no telling what will happen. You have ages to get plenty more work experience, try not to worry about it too much :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chaarlotte
Relax. You haven't even applied yet so there's no telling what will happen. You have ages to get plenty more work experience, try not to worry about it too much :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm on a mission at the moment 0:smile: I don't think there's any animal related business in a 10 mile radius that I haven't been in touch with! I'm gonna try and book stuff in advance for summer. I'm just concerned that it'll look like I've squeezed it all in as an after-thought before I do my application. Also do you know if they like it if you have some more planned post-interview? Or is it purely for the application?
Reply 2688
Well I have 2 weeks SA vet, and lambing and calving planned for this year. I have a day in an abbatoir and some cattery work. I've tried to get dairy farm work but there's just nothing like that round here, I'm really struggling to find stuff :frown:

You've got this summer to get stuff. Arrange some more SA/LA, ring around the boarding kennels and ask if they need any help over summer- I'm sure they will want an extra pair of hands during peak season. Where are you going for your calving? Surely you can help out with their milking while you're there? You need some horse experience too- ring up all of your local riding schools and ask if they need any helpers. Some of them might have on-site accommodation if there are no local ones. Try local RDA centres as well. :smile:
Original post by ABC05
You've got this summer to get stuff. Arrange some more SA/LA, ring around the boarding kennels and ask if they need any help over summer- I'm sure they will want an extra pair of hands during peak season. Where are you going for your calving? Surely you can help out with their milking while you're there? You need some horse experience too- ring up all of your local riding schools and ask if they need any helpers. Some of them might have on-site accommodation if there are no local ones. Try local RDA centres as well. :smile:

Thank you! Haha, I'll get that sorted today :smile:
I'm on a mission at the moment 0:smile: I don't think there's any animal related business in a 10 mile radius that I haven't been in touch with! I'm gonna try and book stuff in advance for summer. I'm just concerned that it'll look like I've squeezed it all in as an after-thought before I do my application. Also do you know if they like it if you have some more planned post-interview? Or is it purely for the application?

I started work experience 2 months before sending off my application and I still got an offer (plus 4 interviews). Whether you want to do work experience after interviews is purely up to you, but any animal husbandry etc would be useful for the future even if you can't talk about it at interview :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by chaarlotte
I started work experience 2 months before sending off my application and I still got an offer (plus 4 interviews). Whether you want to do work experience after interviews is purely up to you, but any animal husbandry etc would be useful for the future even if you can't talk about it at interview :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay :smile: can I ask where you applied, grades, offer etc? :smile:
Original post by ABC05
LTC thought you didn't want to do vet anymore? Or are you just going for a nose? :tongue:

VetQuest kinda inspired me, yknow :') Anyway the RVC is so close that it would only cost me a couple of quid to get there so I may as well. They do courses other than vet med too. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If this happens then what a lot of people do is take a gap year and reapply. It's quite common for people to get in second time round. I did this. Got four rejections last year, took a year out and now I've got an offer from Bristol. All I'd say at this stage is make sure you get your grades. I didn't get AAA at the end of A2s so I'm resitting this year. It's limited both my gap year plans and what unis I can apply do, so do your best to get your grades first time.

Saying that though, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to get in this year. ABC05 has given you some sound advice on work experience. Ideally before application, you need to get some general dairy work, and horse work as a minimum. If you can get some LA vet sorted out too, this would be a plus but I know how hard this can be to get so if not try and get some more experience at a SA vet. Try and get all your core stuff in before you apply but don't panic if you absolutely can't. I didn't have any lambing when I applied but I have some booked for a few weeks time and mentioned this at interview/on any forms they asked for.
I've just emailed a riding school, and I have some lambing and calving planned. I'm really struggling finding a dairy farm, any suggestions? :frown:
Reply 2695
I've just emailed a riding school, and I have some lambing and calving planned. I'm really struggling finding a dairy farm, any suggestions? :frown:

These guys farm dairy, not sure how close they are to you - all I know is that they're in Lancashire! There are quite a few local B&Bs http://www.oldhollyfarm.com/index.html
Original post by ABC05
These guys farm dairy, not sure how close they are to you - all I know is that they're in Lancashire! There are quite a few local B&Bs http://www.oldhollyfarm.com/index.html

Aww thank you :smile: but unfortunately Preston is too far away from me :frown:
Aww thank you :smile: but unfortunately Preston is too far away from me :frown:

Can you not travel a bit further to work at a place that offers accommodation? I know a few people who have done that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Can you not travel a bit further to work at a place that offers accommodation? I know a few people who have done that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess I could! I'll look into it :smile:
Reply 2699
What are the requirements for dublin in terms of Alevels?
How would you apply as it's not through UCAS?

Quick Reply

Latest