The Student Room Group

How do I get rid of dandruff?

(anon because I'm embarrassed :tongue: )

I haven't had dandruff in years, but last weekend I realised my head/scalp was quite flaky, and I've been really self-conscious of it for the past week. I use head and shoulders anti-dandruff shampoo but the dandruff arose regardless.

What should I do to stop it now? Use normal shampoo or anti-dandruff shampoo?
It has gotten better in the past few days - the friend I asked about it said she couldn't notice it - but I can still see it's there.

I have a date on Thursday, and I don't want him to see me with dandruff D:
Personally I don't see the difference between using an anti-dandruff and a non-anti-dandruff (lol double negative) shampoo. I've always heard you should switch up shampoo every few months so maybe switch to something else? I personally love Loreal Elvive- the pink one. Also don't wash your hair everyday however for the date you could ignore this- but as a piece of lifestyle advice, it's bad to wash too regularly because you're washing away the natural oils produced causing a negative feedback resulting in overly greasy hair. Also it can exacerbate or cause dandruff.

Back on topic, maybe your scalp is dry? Think about using a natural oil but you would need to thoroughly wash it out. Aside from that and if you're having a serious problem then maybe see your pharmacist or GP.

Some of what I've said is through hear say but the NHS website is a great place and is very informative (for my course we use it to build case studies on certain simple medical conditions) http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Dandruff/Pages/Causes.aspx
Reply 2
Original post by Green Velvet
Personally I don't see the difference between using an anti-dandruff and a non-anti-dandruff (lol double negative) shampoo. I've always heard you should switch up shampoo every few months so maybe switch to something else? I personally love Loreal Elvive- the pink one. Also don't wash your hair everyday however for the date you could ignore this- but as a piece of lifestyle advice, it's bad to wash too regularly because you're washing away the natural oils produced causing a negative feedback resulting in overly greasy hair. Also it can exacerbate or cause dandruff.

Back on topic, maybe your scalp is dry? Think about using a natural oil but you would need to thoroughly wash it out. Aside from that and if you're having a serious problem then maybe see your pharmacist or GP.

Some of what I've said is through hear say but the NHS website is a great place and is very informative (for my course we use it to build case studies on certain simple medical conditions) http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Dandruff/Pages/Causes.aspx

Yeah I wash my hair every day, I know I probably shouldn't but I hate having greasy hair :/

Thanks for the advice - but what about solving the problem in the short term, i.e. before Thursday?
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah I wash my hair every day, I know I probably shouldn't but I hate having greasy hair :/

Thanks for the advice - but what about solving the problem in the short term, i.e. before Thursday?

Washing it everyday is probably a big reason behind the dandruff. I know this is going to sound stupid but after the date, don't wash your hair everyday. At first it might appear greasy etc. but eventually the natural oils will reduce and it won't be so bad and return to normal.

As for Thursday honestly the best thing to do is see your GP or go for some over the counter anti-dandruff shampoo from a local pharmacy. Don't just pick one, talk through the best one with your pharmacist because for example:

"Not every shampoo is suitable for everyone. For example, selenium sulfide may not be recommended for people with blonde or chemically treated hair as it can discolour the hair."~
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Dandruff/Pages/Treatment.aspx

Your pharmacist should be able to offer you something that will help as quick as possible and it shouldn't be too expensive. Have a look through the NHS link before hand to give you an idea of the different types of treatment available so you're already a bit informed. Oh and if the pharmacist doesn't know **** then see another one. As a pharmacy student it pisses me off to hear/come across qualified pharmacists not doing their damn job properly! Oh and despite how self conscious you are, don't rub or scratch your scalp- that'll just worsen it especially on the date.

Good luck with everything and above all else enjoy your date, I highly doubt they'd notice it anyway!
Reply 4
Washing it everyday is probably a big reason behind the dandruff. I know this is going to sound stupid but after the date, don't wash your hair everyday. At first it might appear greasy etc. but eventually the natural oils will reduce and it won't be so bad and return to normal.

As for Thursday honestly the best thing to do is see your GP or go for some over the counter anti-dandruff shampoo from a local pharmacy. Don't just pick one, talk through the best one with your pharmacist because for example:

"Not every shampoo is suitable for everyone. For example, selenium sulfide may not be recommended for people with blonde or chemically treated hair as it can discolour the hair."~

Your pharmacist should be able to offer you something that will help as quick as possible and it shouldn't be too expensive. Have a look through the NHS link before hand to give you an idea of the different types of treatment available so you're already a bit informed. Oh and if the pharmacist doesn't know **** then see another one. As a pharmacy student it pisses me off to hear/come across qualified pharmacists not doing their damn job properly! Oh and despite how self conscious you are, don't rub or scratch your scalp- that'll just worsen it especially on the date.

Good luck with everything and above all else enjoy your date, I highly doubt they'd notice it anyway!

I can't see a GP before Thursday, as my doctor's surgery is always booked up for about a week ahead, but I can try getting to a pharmacy tomorrow; it'll depend on whether my mum's car is free to use or not.

Thanks for the help :smile:
I can't see a GP before Thursday, as my doctor's surgery is always booked up for about a week ahead, but I can try getting to a pharmacy tomorrow; it'll depend on whether my mum's car is free to use or not.

Thanks for the help :smile:

No probs :biggrin:

I haven't had dandruff in years, but last weekend I realised my head/scalp was quite flaky, and I've been really self-conscious of it for the past week. I use head and shoulders anti-dandruff shampoo but the dandruff arose regardless.

It has gotten better in the past few days - the friend I asked about it said she couldn't notice it - but I can still see it's there.

Drink more water, this is common when its getting hotter people get dehydrated. And water is released from your scalp first. Drink 8 cups a day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7

Try to experiment with shampoos until you find the right one because everyone's hair reacts differently to different types of shampoos. I've tried many shampoos and many of those have my dry dandruff (white flakes) until I found that Head & Shoulders is the only shampoo that doesn't give me dandruff.
Try Vosene. It did wonders for me when I was younger and it also smells wonderful. :tongue:
Wash?

Find something that keeps your hair moist. Dry hair breaks and causes scalp to flake, then the follicles say **** it and your hair breaks off. The cells turn to flakes and dust bits like dandruff. If you're white try milky stuff or Aloe or whatever they use. If you're Afrocentric or Indian like or some type of Asian keep oils and moisturizers near and don't do too much to your hair. But either way keep it wet. Real wet. :cool:
Reply 10
Original post by HeyFromNY_USA
Wash?

Find something that keeps your hair moist. Dry hair breaks and causes scalp to flake, then the follicles say **** it and your hair breaks off. The cells turn to flakes and dust bits like dandruff. If you're white try milky stuff or Aloe or whatever they use. If you're Afrocentric or Indian like or some type of Asian keep oils and moisturizers near and don't do too much to your hair. But either way keep it wet. Real wet. :cool:

I wash my hair every day.

I went to the pharmacy and talked to a clerk there who suggested T/Gel, and I've now been using it since Monday. The dandruff was nearly gone mid week but today there's lots of it, or at least there is when I put my hands through my hair. Don't really know what to do :/ I'm thinking I should just go back to Head and Shoulders since it kept dandruff away for most of the time before this.

Quick Reply

Latest