The Student Room Group

What time do you go to sleep?

Im year 12 student and I have the worst sleeping patterns. I have college at 8:30 and usually get up at 7-7:15. However no matter how early I get to bed I can never get to sleep before midnight. I suffer badly throughout the day if I don't get my 8 sleep, causing me to sleep in the afternoons meaning I don't get any school work done :/

I've tried sleep hypnosis apps on my phone etc they worked for a few weeks, I would fall asleep within the first 20 mins of the recording. However now I stay awake for the whole thing..

Does anyone else have this problem and how do you deal with it? especially now that exams will be comming soon and I really don't want to miss out on my sleep.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
when you've turned all the lights out, don't go on your phone. Force yourself not to and go to sleep.

Also, having a very active day helps - so if you haven't, hit the gym for a couple hours so that you're actually tired when you want to get to sleep.
probably like 11:30pm but not tonight

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pisces20
Im year 12 student and I have the worst sleeping patterns. I have college at 8:30 and usually get up at 7-7:15. However no matter how early I get to bed I can never get to sleep before midnight. I suffer badly throughout the day if I don't get my 8 sleep, causing me to sleep in the afternoons meaning I don't get any school work done :/

I've tried sleep hypnosis apps on my phone etc they worked for a few weeks, I would fall asleep within the first 20 mins of the recording. However now I stay awake for the whole thing..

Does anyone else have this problem and how do you deal with it? especially now that exams will be comming soon and I really don't want to miss out on my sleep.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exercise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Term-time: about 3am
During the holidays: about 1am

My sleeping patterns are all messed up :facepalm2:
Reply 5
Monday; Whenever I want
Tuesday: Whenever I want
Wednesday: 2-2.30am
Thursday: 11.59
Friday: Whenever I want
Saturday: Whenever I want
Sunday: 12.30

Close your eyes and don't think of anything and you will fall asleep just like everybody else.
Exercise helps.

Don't drink anything like tea before bed and try not to eat either. Having a cool room helps. Don't use your phone and stuff. If you can't go to sleep, rather than just lying there get up and go for a walk around and have a glass of water or read or something for 10 minutes then go and try again. Don't watch the TV or use your laptop or anything when it gets to like 1 hour away from your bedroom. Don't have a clock or your phone in view so you can't play the fun game of 'if I fall asleep now, I'll get x number of hours sleep'

I've had sleep problems for a few years. If I get 5 hours it's a good night. These are all things I was told by the doctor to do. Sometimes they help :smile:

Good luck OP and I hope you sort your sleep issues out! :smile:
Reply 7
After midnight if I don't have college the next morning, around 11 if I do have college the next morning.

I don't have college on Monday mornings :colone:
I'm looking for a solution on not being able to sleep myself. Sometimes I can lay in bed for 6 hours + and still not manage to get a wink of sleep whilst being absolutely exhausted.
Reply 9
Being a student you PROBABLY have a high sugar/caffeine intake and don't engage in intense exercise :tongue:.
Changing your diet/physical habits can help you get to sleep more easily.
Games, cut down on those before bed.
Also, make sure you prepare well for your upcoming exams. It would take me at least an hour to get to sleep every night because I would get worked up over my lack of preparation.
It might not apply to you, but it's still noteworthy.
Reply 10
It seems no matter how much I sleep I will always be tired.. :frown:
And I aim for 11-1am.
Never underestimate the power nap as you will discover at uni.

Could always have a night cap :wink: cheeky bit of alcohol always sends one to sleep.
Reply 11
Crazy o'clock.

I don't have a set time, and often can't sleep till very late, or early in the morning i.e 7am. It's a good thing I only have to be in early on one day of the week.
Reply 12
I know that feeling well. I seem to be running on a day that's closer to 36 hours than 24. I need a good 8-10 hours of sleep, but I'll easily stay awake 15-20 hours at a time. I've tried many sleep methods, a couple of different drugs and lots of tips from friends and family. So far the only thing that gets me into a decent sleep pattern is when my fiancee stays over :P
I just go to bed whenever I'm too tired to do anything else as a rule. Sometimes that's 11pm, sometimes is 4am sometimes it's 2:30 in the afternoon...

It tends to go on a cycle though, so I go to bed later and later and later til I'm back to where I started again.
Reply 14
Original post by biggles1
I know that feeling well. I seem to be running on a day that's closer to 36 hours than 24. I need a good 8-10 hours of sleep, but I'll easily stay awake 15-20 hours at a time. I've tried many sleep methods, a couple of different drugs and lots of tips from friends and family. So far the only thing that gets me into a decent sleep pattern is when my fiancee stays over :P

yeah, if I really wanted to I can stay awake for a good 18 hours.

So, with my current sleeping pattern, getting to sleep at 6am....

I sleep, and wake up whenever because it's the holiday atm, so that's good.

Otherwise, I'd be screwed.
Reply 15
Original post by tehforum
yeah, if I really wanted to I can stay awake for a good 18 hours.

So, with my current sleeping pattern, getting to sleep at 6am....

I sleep, and wake up whenever because it's the holiday atm, so that's good.

Otherwise, I'd be screwed.

My record is somewhere around 55 hours.

Lots of fast food and Lucozade were consumed that weekend.
Reply 16
Original post by biggles1
My record is somewhere around 55 hours.

Lots of fast food and Lucozade were consumed that weekend.

Haha, I can't remember my 'record'.

Must'be been 2 days though.

though it's weird because I can work all day on an essay, for example, and still not be tired enough to get to sleep at a decent time.

also, I have been eating properly as well
When I add 7 hours to the current time and realise that's too late a time to be waking up. When I'm well enough to start working out agan I'll be getting back to a good sleep schedule so I can wake up for my 7am runs which I miss so, so, sooo much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending